Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31926
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which lens do you think for a D60??" Previous topic | Next topic
abendan Registered since 06th Sep 2008Sat 06-Sep-08 12:55 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which lens do you think for a D60??"

AU

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and to photography. I have a D60 that I am currently learning to use. My D60 came with the two kit lenses - 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 and 55-200mm f4-5.6. For my level of knowledge these are great lenses, but I am also looking for a lens that would be good for portraits and general photos of my kids (both indoors & out). I am looking at either the Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM or the Nikkor AF-S 60mm F2.8 Macro.

I would love any advice anyone has to offer on these lenses or any others you think may be suitable.

Thanks
abendan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??
blw Moderator
06th Sep 2008
fdh
06th Sep 2008
greshaki
06th Sep 2008
dino kusturica
06th Sep 2008
gloriousglenn
07th Sep 2008
JDMils
07th Sep 2008
blw Moderator
07th Sep 2008
gloriousglenn
07th Sep 2008
HayMower Silver Member
07th Sep 2008

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 06-Sep-08 04:09 AM
26549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Rather than a new lens, I'd suggest a flash (SB-600). Both of your current lenses will do a surprisingly good job on portraits. The only thing you can't really do with your lenses is indoors in low light - but if you add a flash, you can. And the SB-600 is a good deal less expensive than either of those lenses.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

fdh Registered since 14th Dec 2005Sat 06-Sep-08 05:28 AM
515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 06-Sep-08 05:32 AM by fdh

New York, US

What I'd suggest you do is go to the flickr.com site and do a search for any lens that you are interested in. Then look at some of the hundreds or thousands of pictures that will come up. That will give a good idea of what's possible with those lenses. In your case I'd look at pictures of children of the sort that you would think you might be taking. Just from what you've written, I'd suggest you also look into the 30mm 1.4 hsm lens also from sigma. It will give you a more "normal" field of view on a d60, something close to one that a 50mm lens would provide for a 35 mm film camera. The macro is two stops slower at f2.8, and two stops is quite a bit when you are thinking in low/available light terms.

As to getting an external flash, well that's a different route, altogether, with lots of interesting creative potential. Again, take a look at the pictures at flickr using one of the lenses you are considering under available light conditions. Then do same with your existing lenses with the added flash you are interested added to the search field. You'll quickly get a good idea as to what it is you prefer.

One more thing. flickr also has "groups" connected to lots of topics including equipment such as lenses. You can look at discussions of different topics related to specific lenses there, and get a good idea of how people regard them, what they feel they can do with them, etc. The Sigma 30mm lens has quite a following there, with lots and lots of discussions that you might find helpful.

Hope this helps.

Frank

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Sat 06-Sep-08 09:36 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 2

Perth, AU

I also suggest looking into a flash instead of a new lens, it's been a great tool for indoor portraits. Pair it with your 55-200mm and you'll have a good settup. Just the 55-200 without the flash would be good for daytime outdoor portraits.

Sigma do a nice 50-150mm f/2.8 lens which would be a good choice too. After researching it on flickr I think I'll be buying that one next.

D40X
Nikon 18-70mm and 50mm f/1.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manypixors

dino kusturica Registered since 05th Sep 2008Sat 06-Sep-08 12:23 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

or you can sell both of those lenses and get yourself a excellent 18-200VR and one SB600 and learn how to use it.

Excellent lense is also 50mm 1.8 but wont autofocus.
If you have some $330+ you can get new lense from sigma 50mm with autofocus with D40/40x/60.

gloriousglenn Registered since 07th Sep 2008Sun 07-Sep-08 10:49 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 07-Sep-08 10:50 AM by gloriousglenn

Carterton, GB

I too am new to this forum and DSLR photography but I would like to say that I have a D60 with an AF-S DX VR 18-200 lens and I love it!

I am looking at getting a flash next as I get a dark shadow at the bottom of some photos when I zoom in (I am assuming that this is a shadow from the lens). From reading around the SB-600 seems to be the choice of many but I may start off with the SB-400 as it is almost half the price!

Cheers
Glenn

JDMils Registered since 23rd Jul 2008Sun 07-Sep-08 12:40 PM
258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

Adding a flash diffuser to the standard pop-up flash will numb the shadow from the lens housing.

|
+-- JDMils
|
+-- D60
+-- AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
+-- AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
+-- HOYA 52mm Clear PRO1 DIGITAL Protector Filter DMC LPF (on the 18-55)
+-- HOYA 58mm Clear SKYLIGHT Protector Filter (on the 50)
|
+-- Navman forums at http://forums@jdmils.com
|

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 07-Sep-08 01:11 PM
26549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

The shadows is indeed from the popup flash. The SB-400 is a nice unit, but it is vastly less flexible: you can't rotate it, so it pretty severely constrains how you use it for bounce flash. This is critically important if you want to eliminate the flash shadows. I don't favor diffusers because they lose almost as much light as bounce does, yet doesn't normally allow you to eliminate the directionality of the light. You get a much softer flash shadow, but you still get one.

The SB-800 and SB-900 are much more expensive than the SB-600 and although they have many additional features, most of them are far less valuable to most photographers than the basic metering and bounce capabilities of the SB-600.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

gloriousglenn Registered since 07th Sep 2008Sun 07-Sep-08 02:04 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 7

Carterton, GB

It looks like I'll have to convince the wife that I can spend a bit more money then!!

Thanks for the pointers.

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Sun 07-Sep-08 09:44 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which lens do you think for a D60??"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>From reading around the
>SB-600 seems to be the choice of many but I may start off with
>the SB-400 as it is almost half the price!
>Cheers
>Glenn

I went with the SB-400 and am glad I did. Not only is it cheaper, but it is smaller - it doesn't overbalance the camera. It fits in my pocket or in my camera bag without taking up a lot of space. Aside from the rotating from side to side (which I haven't missed), I don't see the benefit of the SB-600, although it does have a little more power. I guess I just don't get it.

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D40X
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-200 VR
AF 50mm 1.8
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31926 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.