Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31426
View in linear mode

Subject: " Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon - Anybody??" Previous topic | Next topic
nikono Registered since 08th Aug 2008Tue 19-Aug-08 08:51 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
" Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon - Anybody??"

US

Hello everyone,

I just got this lens Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon. Its a Manual focus lens. I got it for a throw away price, and was curious to know if anybody has used it.. I have no idea how this lens would perform so if anybody could give me some input it would be great...

Thnx
Nikono

--------------------------------------
If I wouldn't have spent for my passion and saved all that money, then i would've had a fat bank account but no photos to cherish.. I'm happy now!!

Gear:
Nikon D40
Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S DX VR lens
Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC
Lowepro Top Load Mini
A Passion for Photography!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon - Anybo...
mtpenmaker
19th Aug 2008
nikono
20th Aug 2008
epp_b
27th Aug 2008
mtpenmaker
28th Aug 2008
Drewhound
06th Sep 2008

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 19-Aug-08 09:48 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon - Anybody??"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

It will only work in full manual with no metering. Not having metering is not that big a deal since you can use the histogram to adjust after your initial shot.

The Series One were by far the best lenses that Vivitar marketed, but they weren't great. Try it and see how you like it.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
D40, F4, FM2n, N90s and not enough glass

nikono Registered since 08th Aug 2008Wed 20-Aug-08 03:34 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon - Anybody??"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks.. I'll try it out and let you all know..

- N

--------------------------------------
If I wouldn't have spent for my passion and saved all that money, then i would've had a fat bank account but no photos to cherish.. I'm happy now!!

Gear:
Nikon D40
Nikkor 18-55mm AF-S DX VR lens
Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC
Lowepro Top Load Mini
A Passion for Photography!!!

epp_b Registered since 27th Aug 2008Wed 27-Aug-08 06:48 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon - Anybody??"
In response to Reply # 2

CA

I'm looking to get this lens for cheap to use on my D40. Yes, I know, I won't have metering and AF, I can manage that myself. Is it worth $20-or-so dollars to use instead of my close-up lens set or is it complete garbage?

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 28-Aug-08 01:07 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon - Anybody??"
In response to Reply # 3

Billings, US

If you can get one for that price and the there's no fungus, minimal dust, no scratches on the elements and it focuses OK, it would probably provide better image quality than using a close-up filter set. BUT, if the the close-up filter is a Canon 250D or 500D or one of the Nikon "T" series, then it may not. Also, I have no idea what magnification that lens provides so it may not provide as large an image. The lens is not complete garbage and in it's day was very good for a 3rd party lens. Times have changed and we now have 3rd party makers who can and do produce lenses that are comparable and in some cases better than Nikon.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
D40, F4, FM2n, N90s and not enough glass

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sat 06-Sep-08 12:31 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Vivitar 70-210mm f4.5 macro zoom for Nikon - Anybody??"
In response to Reply # 3

There were a number of different versions, there's more information about them on this link but basically the first three are the ones to go for

http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm

I've got the first version which goes to nearly half life size and is excellent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drewhound/2450519042/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drewhound/2450518514/sizes/o/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drewhound/2763936858/sizes/o/

At all focal lengths any of the first three versions make the 55-200 and 70-300s look poor!

Andy

>I'm looking to get this lens for cheap to use on my D40.
>Yes, I know, I won't have metering and AF, I can manage that
>myself. Is it worth $20-or-so dollars to use instead of my
>close-up lens set or is it complete garbage?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31426 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.