nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #314
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 LCD Screen Protector" Previous topic | Next topic
ebrigm Registered since 25th Nov 2004Sat 05-Nov-05 10:38 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 LCD Screen Protector"

Milton, US

Is there someone who makes a LCD Screen Protector for the D50 like the one that is supplied with the D70?? I want a hard plastic one, not a piece of thin plastic. Thanks..

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector
sillyconguru
06th Nov 2005
BillKen
06th Nov 2005
Macnut
21st Dec 2005
ebrigm
06th Nov 2005
sillyconguru
06th Nov 2005
nipprdog
06th Nov 2005
nipprdog
08th Nov 2005
Tonik
09th Nov 2005
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
09th Nov 2005
BillKen
09th Nov 2005
Tonik
09th Nov 2005
BillKen
09th Nov 2005
aacycles
21st Dec 2005
leungkev
21st Dec 2005
soupdragon
21st Dec 2005
leungkev
22nd Dec 2005
sideliner2
22nd Dec 2005

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 01:10 AM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

Hoodman do a universal one:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/slr.asp

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 02:02 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 1

I have the Delkin Pop-Up stick-on shade - the popup shade slides off and on easily - so you are free to just use the clear glass stick on protector if you're so inclined. Works nicely imho.

http://www.delkin.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=271&cat=64&page=1

Macnut Registered since 20th Dec 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 01:03 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 2

Stamford, US

The Delkins LCD Screen Protector for my D-50 arrived today. The clear glass does a decent job of protecting the screen and doesn't interfere with using the viewfinder. The snap-up hood is a nice idea but I won't be using it for the following reasons:
> Having handily "snapped-up," the hood must then be folded carefully back in place each time you want to use the viewfinder.
> Removing the hood was not difficult. But getting it back on again was.

Result: The clear glass protector fits perfectly and is useful.
The hood, alas, is not. It should be as easy to snap down as snap up, but it's not.

PHC

ebrigm Registered since 25th Nov 2004Sun 06-Nov-05 06:53 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 1

Milton, US

>Hoodman do a universal one:
>
>http://www.hoodmanusa.com/slr.asp

Do you have a picture of your D50 with this installed?? Thanks.

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 07:11 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

No, sorry. I own a D70.

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 10:46 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I just sent an email to Hoodman about a protector for the D50, since it is not listed on their site. I'll post the reply when I get it.

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 08-Nov-05 10:52 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I got this response from Hoodman today;

Dear Jim,

Thank you for contacting Hoodman for information about a FlipUp Cap for the Nikon D50.

We will have a new FlipUp cap available for the Nikon D50 sometime after the middle of November. This new product will snap directly on to the back of the D50 and will provide screen protection as well as some glare reduction. The price for the H-D50 FlipUp will be $34.99 plus shipping and handling. Please check back on our website in the near future on the following page for updates:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/flip_up.asp#Nikon

If you wish to place a pre-order for this item you may do so by calling us on the number shown below. Your credit card would not be charged until the item was ready to ship. The cap for the Nikon D70 does not fit the D50.

The HSLR-2 Pro Cap may obscure the outer edges of your view of the LCD but it will work well on it. The actual physical dimensions of the cap outer edges are 1 7/8" wide by 1 7/16" high and the mounting surface is 1/8" wide. The only other option for this camera until the H-D50 FlipUp Cap comes out would be the H-200 Hood and the HSK-3 Hoodskins.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please contact us again if you have additional questions about our products.

Sincerely,

Charlene Gordon
Hoodman Corp. Customer Service
20445 Gramercy Place, Ste. 201
Torrance, CA 90501
(800) 818-3946
(310) 222-8608
(310) 222-8623 Worldwide Fax

Tonik Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Wed 09-Nov-05 03:10 AM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 6

Cleveland, US

Ok, the flip up hoods look annoying. Flip it down so you can get to the viewfinder, flip it up so you can see the shot. Sounds like a flipping pain The HSK-3 looks promising for scratch protection.....I need to do something I think either way.

Comments/thoughts for those of you that have the flip hoods on your other gear?

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 09-Nov-05 04:43 AM
9853 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 7

Memphis, US

A friend of mine has a delkin(I think) hood he got from B&H and the hood part comes off leavng the protective glass I am not sure if the hoodman comes off. Plus there is a clear hard plastic cover that sticks on from hoodman. Go to the digital section of B&H and click on LCD covers. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

As far as the HSK-3 there are a few poly plastic covers out there for the D50 I have seen them used on coolpix etc and they do a good job of scratch protection. Check Ebay under a nikon D50 search there is one that is made to custom fit the D50, EXiM Screen Protectors. Plus one from 3M from germany on Ebay. Hope this helps. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 09-Nov-05 02:47 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 7

>Ok, the flip up hoods look annoying. Flip it down so you can
>get to the viewfinder, flip it up so you can see the shot.
>Sounds like a flipping pain The HSK-3 looks promising
>for scratch protection.....I need to do something I think
>either way.
>
>Comments/thoughts for those of you that have the flip hoods
>on your other gear?

As I said in my prior post - the Flip up cover slides off and on of the glass Delkin LCD protector for the D50. It's very simple to do and no problem at all - currently I just leave mine off all of the time as I find the flip up deal annoying as well.

Unless your adverse to using the "stick on" deal - I see no reason whatsoever to wait on a Hoodman one and not just buy the Delkin.

My 2 cents.

Tonik Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Wed 09-Nov-05 04:14 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 9

Cleveland, US

>As I said in my prior post - the Flip up cover slides off
>and on of the glass Delkin LCD protector for the D50. It's
>very simple to do and no problem at all - currently I just
>leave mine off all of the time as I find the flip up deal
>annoying as well.
>
>Unless your adverse to using the "stick on" deal - I see no
>reason whatsoever to wait on a Hoodman one and not just buy
>the Delkin.
>
>My 2 cents.

Thanks for taking the time to repost your thoughts. With all I am reading and learning I miss some of the details at times or more accuratly they get lost in my head. That is exaclty the type I had in mind, just ordered it.

BillKen Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 09-Nov-05 05:00 PM
#11. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 10

good deal! Glad I could help and I was hoping you had just missed my comment about sliding off and on part.

aacycles Registered since 30th Oct 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 03:40 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 0

my previous post about moding a D70s LCD protector for the D50. Hope it might be of some use.

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID201/15079.html

leungkev Registered since 06th Dec 2005Wed 21-Dec-05 05:34 AM
#14. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 13

the Hoodman's protector is available and a few bucks cheaper than the Delkin. is there any reason to get the delkin and not the hoodman?

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 21-Dec-05 07:59 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 14

I bought some of the cheap, cut to size low tack adhesive film type stuff for mine.
Works a treat and at the price it's disposible.

leungkev Registered since 06th Dec 2005Thu 22-Dec-05 03:56 PM
#16. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 15

Has anyone used the Hoodman's one yet?

sideliner2 Registered since 22nd Dec 2005Thu 22-Dec-05 04:22 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D50 LCD Screen Protector"
In response to Reply # 15

Plano, US

I applied a screen protector from "da products" to my D50 http://www.daproducts.com/ and am happy with it. The adhesive system is a little tedious but works fine. Cost about $7.00.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #314 Previous topic | Next topic