Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31323
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which lens is better." Previous topic | Next topic
jmichael99 Registered since 12th Aug 2008Fri 15-Aug-08 02:17 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which lens is better."

US

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-70-300mm-4-5-6G-Nikkor-Camera/dp/B00005Y3OM/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1218715066&sr=1-14

or

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-Motorized-Telephoto-Including/dp/B0016N17ES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1218766519&sr=1-1

I would think nikon would have a better product but wanted to run it by you all to see what you think

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which lens is better.
MEMcD Moderator
15th Aug 2008
mtpenmaker
15th Aug 2008
mtpenmaker
15th Aug 2008
jmichael99
15th Aug 2008
greenwing Gold Member
15th Aug 2008
jmichael99
15th Aug 2008
rikewoo
15th Aug 2008
fenris
15th Aug 2008
jmichael99
16th Aug 2008
briantilley Moderator
16th Aug 2008

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 15-Aug-08 03:50 AM
25010 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Justin,
Welcome to Nikonians!
The Nikkor is better by a substancial margin. The Nikkor also has the advantage of VR technology. Good Luck and Enjoy.
Best Regards,
Marty

P.S. fill in the rest of your user profile when you get a chance.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 15-Aug-08 03:55 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 1

Billings, US

That isn't the VR version, it's the old crummy G version.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
D40, F4, FM2n, N90s and not enough glass

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 15-Aug-08 03:54 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

If I had to buy one of those, I would buy the Sigma because I know the Nikon is less than mediocre. That said, I would not buy either one, I would buy the new Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR lens because it is optically in a different league from the older Nikon 70-300mm G lens.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
D40, F4, FM2n, N90s and not enough glass

jmichael99 Registered since 12th Aug 2008Fri 15-Aug-08 04:36 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 2

US

i cant afford that big of a lens. i can mount on a monopod or tripod.. im still looking around for something i cant buy anything yet since i spent alot of money this week.

BTW i have a d60 if it matters. im going to the beach in a month along with a few other places i like to take pics while in the car since im not driving..

i think im getting a $50 giftcard that i will put towards amazon and get a lens here soon

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Fri 15-Aug-08 08:22 AM
1293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 4

Yorkshire, GB

>BTW i have a d60 if it matters.

Then you won't want the Nikkor. The Sigma is motorised, the Nikkor is not, and won't autofocus on your camera.

Chris

jmichael99 Registered since 12th Aug 2008Fri 15-Aug-08 11:48 AM
#6. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 5

US

this forum is 2 for 2.. this is exactly what i wanted to know

Thanks!

rikewoo Registered since 23rd Nov 2007Fri 15-Aug-08 12:02 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 6

GB

Also the Sigma has a Macro reproduction of 1:2 at 300mm. Closest focusing distance is 0.95m.

Is a very good lens, whilst not having IS or VR, I have used it hand held at 1/250 sec in the macro setting.

Ken

fenris Registered since 30th Mar 2008Fri 15-Aug-08 03:19 PM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 6

US

Yeah go with the Sigma as the Nikon G will not auto focus on the D60. Also as other have said the Nikon G is not a very good lens. However if you can get some more cash I would go for the APO version of the Sigma, I have that lens and its quite nice.

Remember that to get autofocus to work on your D60 you will need AF-S lenses from Nikon, HSM or motorized lenses from Sigma, or look for lenses that say they are motorized from Tamron and Tokina.

Oh and on Sigma lenses there equivalent of VR (vibration reduction) is OS, object stabilization. I believe for Tamron it's IS. None of these lenses have this so if hand holding make sure you turn up your shutter speed compensate when at longer lengths.

jmichael99 Registered since 12th Aug 2008Sat 16-Aug-08 02:25 PM
#9. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 8

US

I would LIKE VR, OS or whatever its called on other brands.

Im going to the beach in 3 weeks and was just wanting something with decent zoom. The 139.99 i can swing. What is a price range i would be looking at with VR/OS?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 16-Aug-08 02:57 PM
28316 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which lens is better."
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

>Oh and on Sigma lenses there equivalent of VR (vibration
>reduction) is OS, object stabilization. I believe for Tamron
>it's IS.

A small point, but Tamron call their version of this feature "VC", standing for Vibration Compensation, and Sigma's OS actually stands for Optical Stabilizer.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31323 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.