Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31146
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low li..." Previous topic | Next topic
nikono Registered since 08th Aug 2008Fri 08-Aug-08 09:08 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low light??"

US

Hello everybody,

I just received my first DLSR, D40, 2 days back. And yesterday i was playing around with it.. I wanted to take a picture of a flower (indoor, low light). Now i set the camera to Aperture priority and set it to an F stop of 4. Now i went a bit close and held my shutter button half way, i heard a click (believe its the auto focus locking), but when i push my shutter release button all the way down, there is no response!!!! Absolutely nothing... I clicked the '?' button for help and it said Low light. Flash recommended. But i did not want to turn the flash on and spoil the shot.

So now my question... In the above case can't i take a picture without flash in low light?? How do i go around this? I dont want to use flash!! Am i doing something wrong here??

Please advise this beginner!!
Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in lo...
Goodie
08th Aug 2008
nikono
10th Aug 2008
woodworker5112
10th Aug 2008
nystrpr
11th Aug 2008
Holmes375 Silver Member
11th Aug 2008
JDMils
11th Aug 2008
nikono
11th Aug 2008

Goodie Registered since 10th Jul 2008Fri 08-Aug-08 09:23 PM
677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low light??"
In response to Reply # 0

Bristol, GB

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of the D40. Like yourself, I haven't had mine very long but I love it!

I've experienced this problem too and think it's down to the camera not being able to focus properly either due to the low light level or being too close to the object.

When you pressed the shutter release half way did you see the focus confirmation in the viewfinder? Unless you've turned the beep off you should also get a tone to tell you the camera is focussed.

The way I've gotten around this is to switch the lens to manual focus ~ it'll let you shoot then

Happy snapping )

--------
Regards
Steve G

My Nikonians gallery

nikono Registered since 08th Aug 2008Sun 10-Aug-08 05:12 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low light??"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for your response... Yes i definitely think its becoz of the camera not able to focus properly!! When i hold the shutter release button half way, I do hear a beep, and one of the three brackets turn red for a short time... But thanks for the manual focusing tip, will try that next time..

Any more suggestions??

Thanks

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Sun 10-Aug-08 05:36 PM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low light??"
In response to Reply # 2

Clovis, US

I never use the focus indicator, but I think red=no focus. The other possibility is if you were to close for your lens to focus. If your used to p&s's they focus much closer than most dslr lenses.

nystrpr Registered since 03rd Dec 2006Mon 11-Aug-08 01:58 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low light??"
In response to Reply # 2

What lens are you using ?
It is likely that the lens is having a difficult time acquiring the correct focus with auto focus. This is a lens issue and not the camera. You can manual focus or mount the camera on a tripod, put some more light on the subject and focus, then release the shutter with a remote or the timer function.

Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Mon 11-Aug-08 02:50 AM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low light??"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It sounds like your light level is too low for the lens you're using or you just don't have enough subject contrast to achieve a consistent AF lock.

The red sensor brackets do indicate focus or the lack thereof, they simply illustrate which sensor is active and being used to 'read' the subject. Focus is indicated by a steady green dot in the lower left area of your viewfinder. The audible beep is also an indicator albeit a less reliable one in low light scenarios.

One technique you can use in this kind of situation is to look for a strong line of some sort that's in the same focal plane as your subject. Get a good lock on the line, hold the focus, and recompose. This method can give a fella fits when using a very fast lens wide open (very thin depth of field), but I'm guessing you're using one of the variable aperture kit lenses with a slower (smaller), maximum aperture.

An external flash will solve many of these kinds of problems by virtue of their focus-assist feature.

Welcome to Nikonians, you've found an excellent place for information and skill building. Please take a few minutes and fill out your profile as we use this information to tailor our responses to your individual queries.

Good luck and don't be shy with questions.... once in a while we even have an answer

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

JDMils Registered since 23rd Jul 2008Mon 11-Aug-08 03:16 AM
258 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low light??"
In response to Reply # 5

AU

Nikono, I know what you mean about the flash spoiling the shot. What I have done is created a flash diffuser for my D60 using an old cigarette packet (google it!) and it dulls the flash "impact" quite a bit although still offering the extra light.

|
+-- JDMils
|
+-- D60
+-- AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
+-- AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G
+-- HOYA 52mm Clear PRO1 DIGITAL Protector Filter DMC LPF (on the 18-55)
+-- HOYA 58mm Clear SKYLIGHT Protector Filter (on the 50)
|
+-- Navman forums at http://forums@jdmils.com
|

nikono Registered since 08th Aug 2008Mon 11-Aug-08 02:29 PM
#7. "RE: Why doesn't my new D40's shutter release work in low light??"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks a lot for your responses... I was using an AF-S DX 18-55mm VR lens (the bundle lens which comes with D60).. Thanks for all your responses.. I will try the same shot with manual focus and some external lighting and see if i can nail it..

Thanks again.. I knew i had come to the right place..

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31146 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.