nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31051
View in linear mode

Subject: ""File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
TXCiclista   Fort Worth, US  Registered since 15th May 2006 Mon 04-Aug-08 08:21 PM
1791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
Tue 05-Aug-08 05:31 AM by TXCiclista

OK, I have never had this much trouble before. It's maddening. Got my wife's replacement D60 (first one ad a stuck pixel) and I want the file numbering to continue. When I choose "off" the D60 correctly picks up with the next logical number (i.e. I was on "0037" so the next was "0038"). However, "off" sounds to me like a formatted card will start back at "0001." I do not want this. "On" sounds correct because it picks up with the last number, but every time I choose "On" the D60 creates a new folder and starts with "0001." What's worse is that I've now dug myself in a hole since I'm on folder "103." I would like to get back to folder "100" and set the D60 to never again use "0001." I'm either completely misreading "off" and "on" or they're labeled wrong somehow. Any help?

-----
This is my Nikon. There are many like it, but this one is mine!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!! MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
05th Aug 2008
Reply message RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!! TXCiclista
05th Aug 2008
     Reply message RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!! MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
05th Aug 2008
05th Aug 2008
05th Aug 2008
Reply message RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!! gkaiseril Gold Member
05th Aug 2008
05th Aug 2008
Reply message RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!! gryphon1911
05th Aug 2008
Reply message RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!! ruca2k8
05th Aug 2008
Reply message RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!! kgendron12
06th Aug 2008

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography   Livermore, CA, US  Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006 Tue 05-Aug-08 01:38 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I use Nikon Transfer to move the photos to my computer with a custom directory naming sceme that goes something like this:

LEPYYYYMMDD_ShootingLocation

LEP is my initials. This way my wife and I can share a backup directory and keep our pictures straight. Putting the date in international standard (year-month-day) means the directory will sort automatically according to date. I append the shooting location because I've got hundreds of these

HTH

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

TXCiclista   Fort Worth, US  Registered since 15th May 2006 Tue 05-Aug-08 05:30 AM
1791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the input, but that really has no bearing on my question. I'm talking about in-camera.

-----

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography   Livermore, CA, US  Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006 Tue 05-Aug-08 06:32 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 2

OIC - when you said "folder" I guessed you were talking about storage on your computer. FYI Nikon Transfer can also rename the photos to any name you want, including an incrementing number, during download. I guess I don't understand the problem of naming "in camera" because I don't store images in my camera for any longer than I have to.

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

TXCiclista   Fort Worth, US  Registered since 15th May 2006 Tue 05-Aug-08 06:50 PM
#5. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

That's cool. Naming them "correctly" in the camera just prevents possible errors when copying over. My wife will be using it and she just wants "click & drag," so I don't want any "do you want to replace" messages.

-----

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography   Livermore, CA, US  Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006 Tue 05-Aug-08 08:47 PM
#9. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Ok, understood. FWIW this drove my crazy on D50 as well, particularly when I had a single shoot that spanned multiple cards, that I wanted to (in the end) store in a single directory. The only workaround I found was to use a program to batch-rename the files before consolidating them.

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

gkaiseril Gold Member  Chicago, US  Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005 Tue 05-Aug-08 05:54 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 05-Aug-08 06:02 PM by gkaiseril

It sounds like you have the "File No. Sequence" option turned off (default setting). See page 126 of the D60 manual for more information.

You may also need to start with a newly formatted card. And I would turn to camera off, back on, and check the setting.

I do not recommend using Nikon Transfer for 2 reasons. First, Nikon Transfer modifies the EXIF data upon transfer and for some uses of the images this may not be acceptable. Secondly, it has been none to corrupt the EXIF data and make image unreadable.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

TXCiclista   Fort Worth, US  Registered since 15th May 2006 Tue 05-Aug-08 06:50 PM
#6. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 4

OK George. Thanks. I'll try with a fresh card.

-----

gryphon1911   US  Registered since 16th May 2006 Tue 05-Aug-08 06:52 PM
450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I think what Motomannequin was trying to say was that why care what the in camera number states?

Just copy off the files and rename them with a unique identifier.

For example, I always rename the images with the date first, then an event description or location and then the file number the camera gave.

Example:

Camera file name - DSC_1034.jpg
Name after copying to computer and mass rename - 08-05-2008_work_shoot_DSC_1034.jpg

Andrew
D300, D50, N90s

http://www.bestlightphoto.net

ruca2k8   Cascais, PT  Registered since 27th Feb 2008 Tue 05-Aug-08 08:02 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

I go one further and completely ignore the name given.

I use the following workflow and suggest it with adaptations for everyone's needs, but enough to get started, especially since I use all freeware/free software:

I use Adobe Photoalbum Starter Edition to get the files from card to disk. During the transfer, I am presented with thumbnails that include the camera name, as well as the date shot, allowing me to select only the ones I want (eliminate test shots, misfires, etc) by date. I have the option of choosing the destination folder, where I use yy-mm-dd and more recently yy-mm-dd_location/subject. So I will specify a destination like 08-07-11_beach for beach shots taken on the 11th of July, 2008. In the same dialog, I can change file names. The folder name is specified automatically, so I just edit if needed to yy-mm-dd_###, where ### is a sequential number. Start the transfer.....When it's done, I am presented with an option to delete the successfully transfered files from the card. I choose YES and repeat as needed to get all the photos I want.

You may even find that Adobe Starter Edition is enough for your cataloging needs. I have yet to find a catalog that meets all my requirements, but Google Picasa coupled to Faststone Picture Viewer is my current choice, based on speed and information available.

Hope this is of some use to someone (or I've just worn out the keys for zilch, lol)

Rui

kgendron12   Burlington, US  Registered since 18th Jan 2006 Wed 06-Aug-08 10:43 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: "File No. Sequence" is driving me crazy!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, if "off" does what you want it to do even though it sounds like that's not what it should then, ignore what you think it should do and go with what actually works. If "on" creates a new folder and starts with "0001", then don't use "On".

As for what others have chimed in with what they do. To each his own. I've always used the file number created by the camera. I keep all my images in order that I take them. On my computer I have them separated by year, then monthly or quarterly depending on how many I've taken.

Now that I've over 10,000 images I do have to rename the RAW file when I download to the computer, but I just put a 1 in front of the camera number. So now DSC_5123.nef becomes DSC_15123.nef when it goes to the computer.

This follows the way I would store my pictures in photo albums back in the days of film. I'd get 2 sets of prints. 1 set went right into the album in order they were taken. This way you could go through my albums and keep up with how things went as my life went on. The other set was to give away or share with others and not worry about getting them dirty, ripped, smudged or lost.

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #31051 Previous topic | Next topic