Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #30585
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is now a good time to buy a D40?" Previous topic | Next topic
Zayzehl Registered since 20th Jul 2008Mon 21-Jul-08 04:19 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
Mon 21-Jul-08 04:20 PM by Zayzehl

US

Hi,

I'm a complete beginner to photography looking to get a start with an entry-level DSLR and classes at my university. After reading tons of good things about the Nikon D40, I think I'm ready to buy the kit with just the 18-55mm lens, the price for which seems to be about $470 or so.

However, as a poor college student, I'm trying to be as efficient with my money as possible, and I'm hoping to avoid a situation where I buy the D40 and then the price drops soon after when Nikon releases a new line of cameras. Should I be worried about this at all, or should I just go ahead and buy the camera now? Thanks in advance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?
Asgard Administrator
21st Jul 2008
typerico
21st Jul 2008
blw Moderator
21st Jul 2008
Goodie
21st Jul 2008
AlohaTravel
22nd Jul 2008
Replytoken Silver Member
22nd Jul 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
22nd Jul 2008
Zayzehl
23rd Jul 2008
Duskshooter
24th Jul 2008
Dan__
24th Jul 2008
Drop Bear
24th Jul 2008

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Mon 21-Jul-08 05:10 PM
51210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Welcome to our community

Just go ahead and buy the camera now.... and make pictures....

Btw. we always encourage our members to fill in their real first and last names, and have made that issue a part of our Terms of Use.

Thank you.

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

typerico Registered since 16th Jun 2008Mon 21-Jul-08 05:40 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Go for it! They are cheap nowadays and easy to learn if this will be your first DSLR. My advice though, if you can get just the body only and get a Tamron 17-50 2.8 for $400.00. The reason why I suggested that lens is because sooner or later you will be replacing your kit lens with a faster one and the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is one of the finest one out there.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 21-Jul-08 07:57 PM
26720 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If you're worried about a price decrease, don't buy any new camera at all. Buy used. They're cheaper anyway. A barely used D40 goes for $350 at keh.com.

Besides, these days cameras are computers with a shutter and a lens mount. You can count on it being replaced within a short period of time.

And furthermore, the utility of the camera does not change. I have (sigh) seven Nikon SLRs, and every single one of them is "obsolete." The price of all three digital bodies has crashed compared to new; all of them can now be bought for around a quarter of what their original retail prices. The film bodies are worth about half of their original prices. Guess what? They all still make great pictures. If you're not going to sell it, don't worry about the potential price drops.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Goodie Registered since 10th Jul 2008Mon 21-Jul-08 08:27 PM
677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Bristol, GB

Hello and welcome

Just go ahead and buy now ... you'll never regret it.

I've only had mine for a few weeks and wish I'd done it years ago. I'm also a newbie to dslr's and figure I'll be dead and buried before I outgrow the D40

--------
Regards
Steve G

My Nikonians gallery

AlohaTravel Registered since 02nd Jul 2008Tue 22-Jul-08 02:20 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 4

Vancouver, US

There is no better time than now! I have had my D40 for five great weeks and I have used it and used it and used it, and I am just as happy today as I was the day I bought it. Go for it and don't look back - the time is now to unleash the photographic beast, so to speak.

Replytoken Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Mar 2008Tue 22-Jul-08 03:42 PM
1184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

The D40 is well along in its product cycle, so it has probably seen a fair amount of discounting. It may go lower, but probably as part of a kit with several lenses. In short, it may drop a bit, but the chances of a large drop at this point are probably not very high.

--Ken

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 22-Jul-08 04:35 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

It's an absolute guarantee that the D40 will be discounted and eventually replaced after you buy it. The same is true for every camera you could imagine buying (except perhaps a used manual film SLR). This will have no effect on the pictures you take with any camera, which is where the value in your purchase lies.

If it was a week or 2 before Photokina and rumors in the works, then I'd say wait, but the current rumors are for a D3x & D90 this fall with a refresh of the consumer line (D40 & D60) probably not due until PMA next spring, or perhaps around Christmas. That's a long time to wait for the next great thing. If you really enjoy photography then the pictures you don't take between now and then will be a bigger loss than the obsolescence of your camera.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Zayzehl Registered since 20th Jul 2008Wed 23-Jul-08 05:05 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Great, thanks everyone, that's just what I needed to hear. Looks like I'll be picking up a new or used D40 kit sometime in the coming week. Any suggestions on where to do this? I hear Adorama is good, and I'll check keh.com.

I'll fix my profile bit too, sorry. I didn't pay enough attention to catch the rule about names.

Duskshooter Registered since 01st Jan 2008Thu 24-Jul-08 05:06 AM
#9. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita, US

I wholeheartedly agree with what most have stated. Go for it. I recently purchased one for my wife and she loves it. I mostly shoot the D200 but on occasions I grab her D40 for the weight, or lack thereof.
Here is a great link that you can learn the ins-n-outs of the D40.
Good luck and practice, practice, practice.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

Dan__ Registered since 26th Aug 2007Thu 24-Jul-08 09:04 PM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

One other alternative is to get a demo one from Cameta Camera off of Ebay. I paid about $400 (shipped) for mine with the kit lens about 6 months ago.

It came in a silver box that said reconditioned (or similar), but I've been very happy with it, and with Cameta. If you poke around, you'll see that lots of folks are too.

Good luck,

Dan

Drop Bear Registered since 20th Jul 2008Thu 24-Jul-08 10:07 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Is now a good time to buy a D40?"
In response to Reply # 10

AU

Are D40's still in production?
There are still a few around here but when I bought the D40x the prices started falling dramatically and now the few dealers that have them are selling for about AU$650 with the 18-55.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #30585 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.