Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #30552
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide angle for D40" Previous topic | Next topic
axadent1 Registered since 20th Jul 2008Sun 20-Jul-08 05:28 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wide angle for D40"

US

I am NOT a photographer!

I got this D40 a couple moths ago for one purpose - I am in real estate and wanted something to take photos of homes.

I find that I can not get good photos of any interior rooms unless the room is very large. The photos look as if there is about 1/3 missing from the shot.

I am thinking of getting a mild wide angle lense but I do NOT want anything that will make the photos . . . look stretched. I have seen some photos other agents have taken with wide angle lenses - the interior shots . . . look GOOFY (the room looks like its 10X as long as it really is and a micrwave looks to have a 3' wide door).

As I said, I am no photographer so I have ZERO understanding of what the lense numbers mean. Looking at spec sheets . . .they might as well be in Greek. Photo samples on the Nikon site for the various lenses all seem to be landscape photos . . .so its hard for me to know what lense would be best for what I want to do.

Just looking for some recommendations as to what type of lense would be best.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wide angle for D40
aolander Silver Member
20th Jul 2008
axadent1
20th Jul 2008
MEMcD Moderator
20th Jul 2008
aolander Silver Member
20th Jul 2008
Shane84 Silver Member
20th Jul 2008

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 20-Jul-08 06:54 PM
3259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wide angle for D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

What lens do you have, the 18-55mm?

Wide angles will give you the field of view you want, but things in the distance will look far away, and things close up will be "stretched" as you say. Other than a wide angle, you can make panoramas in Photoshop, etc. out of two or more shots. The procedure isn't simple, though.

axadent1 Registered since 20th Jul 2008Sun 20-Jul-08 08:16 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wide angle for D40"
In response to Reply # 1

US

18-55 . . .yeah . . .thats what it came with.

When I go to the Nikon site and look at wide angle lenses, there are 5 or so. What number combination would I want to minimize the stretch effect of a wide angle lense. I am ASSUMING one of the options would be better than the others with respect to that issue?

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 20-Jul-08 09:22 PM
26103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wide angle for D40"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Matt,
Welcome to Nikonians! The wider the lens angle(field of view) the more distortion or stretched effect you will see. At the wide end of the Nikkor line up there is:
1. 12-24mm f/4G ED IF AF-S DX ($900.00)
2. 14-24mm f/2.8G ED IF AF-S ($1550.00)
3. 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AF-S DX ($585.00)
I would recommend that you bring your D40 to your local camera shop and test the different lenses at different focal lengths in the store. Go home and review the the test images on your computer and base your decision on your test. That is the best way to make an informed choice, because what you see is what you get. I hope this helps. Good Luck and Enjoy.
Best Regards,
Marty

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sun 20-Jul-08 09:40 PM
3259 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wide angle for D40"
In response to Reply # 2

Nevis, US

There is no wide angle that will minimize the "stretch". The wider you go the more you can into the frame, but the further away things will look and the more closeup "distortion" you will get. In other words, you can't have your cake and eat it, too. The 18mm end of your kit lens has the field of view of a 27mm lens on a full frame camera. If you want approximately a 20mm equivalent field of view you will need a zoom that is 12-14mm on the wide end like the first two Marty mentioned.

Shane84 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Sun 20-Jul-08 09:41 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wide angle for D40"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Hi,

The 18mm end of your kit lens is wide... but not all that wide when you're standing in a small to medium size room and want to get it all in.

First of all, I have to suggest trying to maximize your working distance. Rather than relying on zoom to fit more in to the shot, have you tried standing as far back as you can? Most probably you have... but have you tried standing RIGHT in the corner, with your back up against the wall? Also, backing out through the door and shooting in to the room can help fit more in.

As mentioned above: taking multiple shots and stitching them together is another possibility. Although it's tricky and can be time consuming to set up as well as the time spent in Photoshop. You'll also need a tripod and a panning head to get the best possible results.

If the above still doesn't get enough in then a wide angle like the Sigma 10-20mm will help too. Although as you've already noticed in other people's pictures; going too wide will make the room look very large/long and sometimes very empty. Wide lenses can also play hell with your straight lines. Our eyes just aren't used to the perspectives you get.

Maybe you should try and rent a 10-20 or a similar zoom and see which focal lengths are what you are looking for.

Another word of warning: if you are going to buy a wide lens for architectural / real estate purposes, then get one with as little distortion as possible. The Sigma 10-20 has a bit of (easily fixable) distortion at either end. In fact most lenses have some kind of distortion somewhere... this is something you should bear in mind, especially if you're not prepared to post process every shot.

Hope this helps,
Shane

D300, D40, 3 Zooms, 3 Primes, 1 Flash, a sturdy tripod, a 35mm Praktica BC1 that's older than me and not enough time!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #30552 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.