nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #3030
View in linear mode

Subject: "Workflow for Raw Images" Previous topic | Next topic
czhike88   Pasadena, US  Registered since 18th Dec 2005 Sat 04-Feb-06 03:02 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Workflow for Raw Images"

I shot raw images for the first time(mostly landscapes) and also used PhotoshopCS2 for the first time. I came up with the following procedure based on what I read on the internet: First, I opened a NEF file in Photoshop, set the depth at 16bit, selected the various adjustment parameters(white balance,exposure,etc) then saved the image as a jpeg at Quality = 10(max). Next, I opened the jpg file in Photoshop again and ran the Smart Sharpen filter at Amount = 100%, Radius = 1, and Remove = Gaussian Blur, then saved the file again. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks

Chuck

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Workflow for Raw Images bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources
04th Feb 2006
Reply message RE: Workflow for Raw Images czhike88
04th Feb 2006
04th Feb 2006
     Reply message RE: Workflow for Raw Images Tonik
04th Feb 2006
04th Feb 2006
     Reply message RE: Workflow for Raw Images bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources
04th Feb 2006
04th Feb 2006
04th Feb 2006

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources   Sammamish, US  Charter Member Sat 04-Feb-06 03:23 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Workflow for Raw Images"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't save it as a jpeg and then re-open it. Every time you do so, you will degrade the image quality. Instead, open it directly into Photoshop by clicking on the "Open" button rather than "Save" in Adobe Camera Raw.

Your Smart Sharpen settings might work well for images with a lot of fine detail, but you may want to lower the amount and raise the radius for those with less.

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

czhike88   Pasadena, US  Registered since 18th Dec 2005 Sat 04-Feb-06 03:58 PM
45 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Workflow for Raw Images"
In response to Reply # 1

Bob,
Thanks for the correction for my workflow, as it certainly makes sense to save in jpg format once rather than twice.

Do you have a suggested starting point parameters for the Smart Sharpen tool? I mostly shoot two types of images, grand scenics and wildflowers.

p.s. You have a great website. I am learning how to shot better photographs and you have good information there.
Thanks again, Chuck

Chuck

czhike88   Pasadena, US  Registered since 18th Dec 2005 Sat 04-Feb-06 04:52 PM
#3. "RE: Workflow for Raw Images"
In response to Reply # 2

P.S. After performing adjustments in AdobeCameraRaw, I opened the NEF file in Photoshop and did additional edits, but when I went to “Save As” to save the image as a jpg, the list of formats did not include jpg. (I noticed when I did this the old way, the title bar included the words RGB/8 and now instead it says RGB/16, so that might be a clue to the problem?)

Chuck

Tonik   Cleveland, US  Registered since 02nd Nov 2005 Sat 04-Feb-06 05:09 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Workflow for Raw Images"
In response to Reply # 3

>P.S. After performing adjustments in AdobeCameraRaw, I
>opened the NEF file in Photoshop and did additional edits,
>but when I went to “Save As” to save the image as a jpg, the
>list of formats did not include jpg. (I noticed when I did
>this the old way, the title bar included the words RGB/8 and
>now instead it says RGB/16, so that might be a clue to the
>problem?)

That drove me crazy until I found it. I don't know where it is in PhotoShop as I use Elements. But you are looking to convert your image from the 16 bits to 8 bits. JPG's are only 8 bits.

In elements it is on the Image menu then mode then select 8bits/channel. Yours is probably near there also.

On other thought for you. Do your RAW correction, then your Photoshop work but before you convert it to 8 bits save it as a photoshop file, PSD. In other words save it that way just before you convert to 8 bits and before you crop.

I can't count how many times I needed to redo a photo because I wanted to email it in one size, put it on the web here at 800x600 and then a few weeks later I decide to print it 11X14. By saving the corrected as PSD I only have to do the last step or two for the file/crop/size type I want.

czhike88   Pasadena, US  Registered since 18th Dec 2005 Sat 04-Feb-06 05:19 PM
#5. "RE: Workflow for Raw Images"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks. I went to Image/Mode in Photoshop and selected 8bit. Once I did that, I had the option to pick jpg in "Save As"

Chuck

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources   Sammamish, US  Charter Member Sat 04-Feb-06 09:41 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Workflow for Raw Images"
In response to Reply # 3

You can do it in one of two ways:

- Use "save for web" either from 8-bit mode or 16-bit mode. EXIF data will be stripped from the resulting jpeg to save space.

- Convert yourself to 8-bit then use "save as" jpeg. This will retain EXIF data.

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources   Sammamish, US  Charter Member Sat 04-Feb-06 09:45 PM
#7. "RE: Workflow for Raw Images"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks Chuck.

For Smart Sharpening, I tend to start with a radius of between 1 and 5 pixels, based on how fine the detail is in the image (and how big the image is). Then increase the amount (while viewing at 100%) until halos or artifacts first start to appear. Then back off the amount a bit so the artifacts go away again. This way you have the most sharpening you can get without overdoing it.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/smart-sharpen-cs2-and-more.html

czhike88   Pasadena, US  Registered since 18th Dec 2005 Sat 04-Feb-06 09:47 PM
#8. "RE: Workflow for Raw Images"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks Bob. I learned some good stuff today.

Chuck

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #3030 Previous topic | Next topic