Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #30277
View in linear mode

Subject: " Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.." Previous topic | Next topic
blacmore7 Registered since 18th Apr 2007Fri 11-Jul-08 08:00 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
" Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.."

maidstone, GB

Help please very dissapointed and confused
In complete contrast to my well exposed bright no flash outdoor photos I have been getting mostly everytime underexposed too dark indoor flash photos with my D40 and onboard flash, even and mostly with closer shots of my cats / and people at say 4ft to 10 ft using usually 5.6 in A priority,

lens set usually at between 18mm and up to about 55 mm indoors in a normal lit 20ft X 18 ft living room , Most picture are not bright enough and have to be lightend in picassa and still do not look LOL as good to be truthfull as the the better exposed ( brighter ) indoor flash shots I get with my old p&S canon A610 or fuji f30 compacts .

The D40 is set on 200 iso( but using the auto up to 800iso option set in the menue ) lowest shuter speed at my usuall 125, Lens 18-135 0r sometimes 18-200VR, both same results too dark results,Thank you for any advice or solution .

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment..
GermanyBert
11th Jul 2008
blacmore7
11th Jul 2008
ruca2k8
11th Jul 2008
aolander Silver Member
11th Jul 2008
blacmore7
11th Jul 2008
mtpenmaker
11th Jul 2008
IvarS
12th Jul 2008

GermanyBert Registered since 11th Jul 2008Fri 11-Jul-08 10:44 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.."
In response to Reply # 0

DE

I am a total newby myself so I probably have the wrong answer but have you tried switching the to the Rear Flash mode? This has helped some of my flash shots.

blacmore7 Registered since 18th Apr 2007Fri 11-Jul-08 12:29 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.."
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 11-Jul-08 12:30 PM by blacmore7

maidstone, GB

>I am a total newby myself so I probably have the wrong answer
>but have you tried switching the to the Rear Flash mode? This
>has helped some of my flash shots.

Sorry but rear mode, that is for tripod only use it seems, looong exposure so not the answer thanks though.

ruca2k8 Registered since 27th Feb 2008Fri 11-Jul-08 10:41 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.."
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 12-Jul-08 05:21 PM by ruca2k8

Cascais, PT

>Sorry but rear mode, that is for tripod only use it seems,
>looong exposure so not the answer thanks though.

Not sure what happened to my reply, so edited:

Rear camera synch is more gor moving objects, so you don't get blur/ghosting over the flashed instant, not necessarily looooong exposures and tripod situations.

As to your other questions, given it's limitations, I use the onboard whenever needed or if I can't/don't have my SB600.

I'm as pleased as you can be for the flash's worth.

Rui

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Fri 11-Jul-08 11:54 AM
3268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.."
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Have you checked to see that you don't have negative exposure compensation set anywhere?

blacmore7 Registered since 18th Apr 2007Fri 11-Jul-08 12:33 PM
#4. "RE: Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.."
In response to Reply # 2

maidstone, GB

>Have you checked to see that you don't have negative exposure
>compensation set anywhere?

Yes no negative comp set on O First thing I checked,thank you for your reply, How do you find the onboard flash !

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 11-Jul-08 01:53 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.."
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

My experience is that Shutter priority works much better for flash than Aperture priority. I use a Gary Fong Puffer whenever I use the built-in flash and generally set the flash compensation to +1. I take a test shot, check the histogram and adjust from there with the exposure compensation or sometimes just switch to manual. Make sure the flash is set for iTTL in the menu.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
D40, F4, FM2n, N90s and not enough glass

IvarS Registered since 19th Apr 2008Sat 12-Jul-08 11:10 AM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Help Please ! D40 Onboard Flash dissapointment.."
In response to Reply # 0

Drammen, NO

The guidenumber of the built-in flash is 11(meter/100iso). At aperture 5,6 this gives you the longest distance of 2 meter, that is about 6 ft. At iso 200 this should give you the max distance 8-9ft.

What background colors does your subjects have? If very light background, the exposure will be darkened. Then you have to compensate because the lightmetering "thinks" the white should be grey. (Try using a black background and see)

Ivar Schiager

D40X

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #30277 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.