Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #30052
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where should I go from here?" Previous topic | Next topic
woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Fri 04-Jul-08 11:24 AM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Where should I go from here?"

Clovis, US

Well, I just finished doing a round a purchases, and, when the dust settled, my kit, including what I had before, includes the

-D40x
-Nikon 18-135 AF-S f/3.5-5.6
-Sigma 70-300 motorized f/4-5.6*
-Vivitar D340Z i-ttl flash*
-An ir filter*
-A sufficient triopd with ~15lb support

*On the way

My question is, where do I go from here. I don't have any money now, but I'm wondering where do I go from here. I shoot anything I can, except studio and candids. I do everything from lowlight to landscape, sports to macro. My general plan was to get a basic kit set up. I've done that now, so I want to save up for higher quality stuff. If price were only a minor limitation (still a limitation mind you) what would you get.

To give you an idea, I should soon have your basic teenage job, with no expenses. That's about $120 a week, so I can save up for some good stuff.

-PS I know I can take good pictures with what I have, and hopefuly the new geat coming in would help some, but I'm already fealing the limitations of my stuff

-PPS If this is the wrong place to post this, I'm sorry. I figured that the kit would build of a D40x, thus I chose this section, although some might say my body (camera of couse) is my weakest link.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Where should I go from here?
ruca2k8
04th Jul 2008
FE Fan Silver Member
04th Jul 2008
dwig
04th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
04th Jul 2008
MEMcD Moderator
05th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
05th Jul 2008
MEMcD Moderator
05th Jul 2008
Scotty Silver Member
05th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
05th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
05th Jul 2008
FE Fan Silver Member
05th Jul 2008
ruca2k8
05th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
05th Jul 2008
kgendron12
06th Jul 2008
woodworker5112
06th Jul 2008

ruca2k8 Registered since 27th Feb 2008Fri 04-Jul-08 12:14 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cascais, PT

>
>-PS I know I can take good pictures with what I have, and
>hopefuly the new geat coming in would help some, but I'm
>already fealing the limitations of my stuff
>

I was thinking I'd suggest you keep shooting to get a deeper feeling of what equipment limits you, but then I saw this part.

What limitations do you feel?

Rui

FE Fan Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2004Fri 04-Jul-08 12:57 PM
1804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 0

Silver Spring, US

Where should you go from here? I say go shooting!

What do you like to shoot? If you're not sure, have some fun trying different subject to find the one that clicks with you. You can then target any future expenditures. For example, if you decide wildlife is really your calling, then you could plan for some long, fast killer lens. If you decide street photography is for you, you might want to plan for some faster glass.

I would also suggest you not forget the software side. I'm not sure how much post processing you do now, but taking control of your images is a great way to improve the quality of the final result. A printer also comes to mind along these lines.

Your best investment of your hard-earned dollars might be to treat yourself to some day trips to interesting places.

Bart
D300s D40 F3HP FE FM2n Nikkormat FTN

Everything is a subject. Every subject has a rhythm. To feel it is the raison d'être.
The photograph is a fixed moment of such a raison d'être, which lives on in itself.
- Andre Kertesz

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Fri 04-Jul-08 02:36 PM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 0

Key West, US

Next step:
#1: Shoot

#2: Shoot more ...

Next things to spend money on:

#1: Travel to major art museums, particularily those with large photograph collections, but viewing and studying paintings will do as much to educate your eye.

#2: Art books, more accessable than #1, the images cam be almost as good, and there is often some text that can help your education.

#3: Buy a "darkroom". Get a premium image editor (e.g. Photoshop) or "super RAW converter" (e.g. Nikon Capture NX, ...) along with a premium photo printer (e.g. pigment ink printer from HP or Epson) and learn to use them well.

There are three components to great images; the art of the image (composition, lighting, ...), the technical aspects of shooting the image, and the technical aspects or printing the image. Adding to your camera equipment can only aid the second one-third of the equation, and then only slightly.

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Fri 04-Jul-08 10:23 PM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 3

Clovis, US

Thanks for your responses. The primary limitations I feel with my equipment is this

-Need longer, hopefully the 70-300 coming in will do the trick
-Need faster
-Need closer
-Body issues, such as no moter which is obscuring my ability to easily purchase fast primes like the nifty fifty, and a menu driven interface, which drives me crazy.

I have a "darkroom" Lightroom and CS3. I've looked at CaptureNX, but it doesn't seem worth the money.

Never thought about the printer, might be worth a shot eventually, but I'd rather take the picture, first, and have a place like mpix print it for now, then be able to print my own shots, and not be as able to get them.

I would love to travel, but that is not up to me. I would travel with my family, and they would be picking up the tab.

My thought are these:

For lenses
105mm AF-S VR for macro
17-55 f/2.8 Tamron for lowlight
70-200 f/2.8 for distrance lowlight
100-300 f/4 Sigma for distant low light
18-200 VR for distant lowlight

For body, a D300, or a D90 if it comes out any time soon.

What's your thoughts, Glass or body, and which one of these.

I like to shoot anything, so versatility is a boon. Don't much care for studio work, people shooting of any type, nor do I want something I will qucikly grow out of. Any suggestions on what my next goal should be, or something I don't have on my list?

Eric

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 05-Jul-08 02:04 AM
25877 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Eric,

>-Need faster
>-Need closer
>-Body issues, such as no moter which is obscuring my ability
>to easily purchase fast primes like the nifty fifty, and a
>menu driven interface, which drives me crazy.

>My thought are these:
>
>For lenses
>105mm AF-S VR for macro

Great lens for both macro and portraits.

>17-55 f/2.8 Tamron for lowlight

It should be. I have the Nikkor 17-55mm. I keep it on my D200 most of the time. It is a great walking around lens.

>70-200 f/2.8 for distrance lowlight

Awsome lens! A Legendary Nikkor! Great for sports in all but the very darkest conditions.

>100-300 f/4 Sigma for distant low light

I am not farmiliar with this lens. I would think you would be happier with the above 70-200mm VR. You give up a little at the long end but have a 1 stop advantage for poor lighting conditions. You can gain most of the range back with the TC-14E II or another 1.4X converter.

>18-200 VR for distant lowlight

This lens is not for low light situations. It is a great Jack-of-All Trades lens. If you want to carry only one lens for general shooting the 18-300 is great. For low light f/5.6 is just too slow.

>
>For body, a D300, or a D90 if it comes out any time soon.

Your choice.

>What's your thoughts, Glass or body, and which one of these.

Glass is an investment. Bodies come and go.

>I like to shoot anything, so versatility is a boon. Don't
>much care for studio work, people shooting of any type, nor do
>I want something I will qucikly grow out of. Any suggestions
>on what my next goal should be, or something I don't have on
>my list?

The 50mm f/1.8 is a great low light lens, and a real bargain at $105.00 US brand new. It will also give you the chance to practice Manual Focus with your D40X. Good Luck and Enjoy.
Best Regards,
Marty

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Sat 05-Jul-08 02:39 AM
#6. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 5

Clovis, US

Thanks Marty
I think that narrows it down to the 17-55 or the 70-200 2.8's or the 105mm VR. I didn't know there was a nikkor 17-55 2.8, go figure. As for the primes, I love the thought of the speed, and the shallow dof, but I can't justify mf, I can't do it very quicky or accuratly at f/5.6, much less 1.4. I have looked at the sigma 30mm HSM f/1.4, but it's 2x the price of Nikon 1.4, and 3x the price of the 1.8.

Decisions, decisions. I haven't ruled out body, because I feel that that is a large limiting factor of mine. It's not the mp count, or the latest and greatest, it's mine has limitations that make things much more difficult in shopping and getting the shot. What about a used D80 or D200? Decisions, decisions.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 05-Jul-08 04:37 AM
25877 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Eric,
Manual focus with a f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens is much easier than with an f/5.6 lens, because much more light is getting to the viewfinder. The smaller the f/# the larger the Aperture, the narrower the DOF.
I use my old Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS in very low light situations and have no trouble with manual focus, and my eyes arn't what the used to be.
There are many in this forum that use the 50mm f/1.8 with a D40/X with out any issues.
If you shoot Macro with the 105mm micro f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S VR II you will find that just about all the time you will prefer Manual Focus to AF. AF does not work very well at Macro distances.
Used D200's are available relitivly inexspensivly. They are great bodies and will provide you with a lot of room to grow. The D200 is well built and very robust compared to the D80, D40/X, D60. Most fuctions can be changed by pressing one button the rotating the command dial. Good Luck.
Best Regards,
Marty

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 05-Jul-08 05:27 AM
4820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Maybe a 50mm f1.8 or a dedicated macro lens (one that gives 1:1 reproduction without a filter).

If you can take good pictures with what you've got why don't you do that?

If you are not careful NAS will set in so be careful ;~)

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Sat 05-Jul-08 07:01 AM
#9. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 8

Clovis, US

Thanks again Marty, I guess I thought that the super shallow dof would make it harder to mf, despite the brighter viewfinder.

Thank you Alex, yes NAS has bitten, but I'm trying to fight it. As for taking good pictures with what I got, yes I can, in many conditions, but there are still plenty that I shoot in that my equipment limits me, either in zoom, low light performance, close focusing, or muddling through menus while the action is going on around me.

I've played with 1:2 lenses, and I the 70-300 sigma has that, so I'll see if that suits my needs, or if I need 1:1. I think I'm going to have to look into that "nifty thrifty fifty" and see if mf is much of a problem. Thank you all for your help, I think I have a goal again.

1. 70-200mm 2.8
2. 50mm 1.8 or 17-55 2.8
3. D200
4. And maybe the Macro VR, depending on how 1:2 works for me.

Although not necassarily in that order, probably switch 1&2 around.

Thanks a million,
Eric

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Sat 05-Jul-08 09:02 AM
#10. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 9

Clovis, US

Hey, one more quick question. I found a 50mm nikon AI-S lens for $40 on Ebay, a seller with tons of positive feedback. Is there a difference in functionality of an AI-S and a AF on the D40x?

Thanks all
Eric

FE Fan Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2004Sat 05-Jul-08 11:42 AM
1804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 10

Silver Spring, US

Yes, the AIS lens will not meter on a D40x. I use my MF lenses all the time by simply guessing the starting exposure and using the histogram to adjust the guess.

On the upside, the AIS lens will give you rock solid build quality and a much smoother, more precise focusing action.

Bart
D300s D40 F3HP FE FM2n Nikkormat FTN

Everything is a subject. Every subject has a rhythm. To feel it is the raison d'être.
The photograph is a fixed moment of such a raison d'être, which lives on in itself.
- Andre Kertesz

My Nikonians Gallery

ruca2k8 Registered since 27th Feb 2008Sat 05-Jul-08 09:36 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 9

Cascais, PT

>... muddling through menus while
>the action is going on around me.

What do you change so often that keeps you in the menus?

I don't appreciate them either,fwiw, but have you configured your MYMENU? And do you use the ZOOM button to access the settings instead?

Rui

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Sat 05-Jul-08 09:50 PM
#13. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 12

Clovis, US

>>... muddling through menus while
>>the action is going on around me.
>
>What do you change so often that keeps you in the menus?
>
>I don't appreciate them either,fwiw, but have you configured
>your MYMENU? And do you use the ZOOM button to access the
>settings instead?
>
>Rui
>
>

Yes to both those questions. However, they still take more time than a dedi button. The three settings I change the most are metering mode, ISO, and WB, and I often change FEC and Flash mode as well. Unfortunatly, very few of these have a button, and I have missed many a shot to this.

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Sun 06-Jul-08 02:36 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burlington, US

What kind of computer do you have? Do you have enough hard drive space. Maybe getting an external HD or 2. How about extra SD cards. Do you have a DVD burner? Once you have the images on your computer you'll want to have a backup. If your HD dies you could easily lose ALL your images. I never delete the images from an SD card until they are backed up on a DVD. I have about 14GB in SD cards for my D50.

As for getting new lenses. I would wait a while. develop a style. Don't assume you'll know now what your going to need an a year. Your style may change. Your priorities may change. Don't spend money on glass just to spend money. The lenses are tools not toys. Use the right tool for the job.

What about a diffuser for your flash?

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

woodworker5112 Registered since 23rd May 2008Sun 06-Jul-08 09:17 PM
#15. "RE: Where should I go from here?"
In response to Reply # 14

Clovis, US

Hard drive space is good, I got a DVD burner, 6 gb of cards, and yet to run out without having a laptop to download to. I hadn't thought about the diffuser, is there ones made for vivitar flashes?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #30052 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.