Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #29523
View in linear mode

Subject: "D60 problems?" Previous topic | Next topic
LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Mon 16-Jun-08 11:28 PM
241 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D60 problems?"

Pittsburgh, US

Is it me, or are there alot of posts about problems with D60's? I mean like "glitchy" problems. Is it normal to have kinks with a new model? I wanted to get mine this week, but I would hate to get a brand new camera and not to be able to use it!

Lisa

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D60 problems?
MotoMannequin Moderator
17th Jun 2008
LMagee Silver Member
17th Jun 2008
Scotty Silver Member
17th Jun 2008
mtpenmaker
17th Jun 2008
OrlandoRealtor
17th Jun 2008
LMagee Silver Member
17th Jun 2008
LMagee Silver Member
17th Jun 2008
Menarue
18th Mar 2010
seary
20th Jun 2008
Reply message RE: D60 problems?-None here with my D60
OrlandoRealtor
20th Jun 2008
sunazican
21st Jun 2008
lkmstone
22nd Jun 2008
sorin
22nd Jun 2008
shotglass Gold Member
19th Mar 2010
klj59
26th Mar 2010
Menarue
29th Mar 2010
conor5150
29th Mar 2010
Menarue
29th Mar 2010

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 17-Jun-08 12:17 AM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 17-Jun-08 12:20 AM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

These fall into 2 categories, and I see both of these here a lot lately:

The first category are people trying to figure out how to use a new camera. These reported "glitches" are often cases where the camera is working properly but the operator has run up against a feature or situation he or she doesn't understand. This is very common with a camera brand new to the market. You'll notice very few D50 owners posting questions nowadays. It's not that D50 didn't pose these quandaries for us, just that the D50 users have figured these out a long time ago.

The second category are people with legitimatly defective cameras. These problems are always amplified when reading board messages, because with 1 bad camera out of 10000 sold, you'll hear from that 1 and not from the other 9999.

These are complicated devices and the chances of a problems exist, so be sure to buy from a dealer who's providing genuine Nikon USA warranty and who'll stand by you if there's a problem. If there was something systemically wrong with D60 you'd hear a lot more noise than what you're hearing now, not just on boards but in reviews as well.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Tue 17-Jun-08 11:27 AM
241 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 1

Pittsburgh, US

Larry,

I thought that, too. I have read countless reviews and tests by all kinds of companies and no-one ever mentioned the eye sensor thing.
Hopefully it's just a few isolated cases.

Lisa

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 17-Jun-08 07:49 PM
4767 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 4

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Eye sensor thing?????? Have Nikon gone down the Canon road with eye-controlled focussing? surely not...

what eye sensor thing?

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 17-Jun-08 03:24 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

If you're worried about the D60, buy the D40.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
D40, F4, FM2n, N90s and not enough glass

OrlandoRealtor Registered since 28th May 2008Tue 17-Jun-08 05:05 AM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

D60 No Problems only Great Pictures!

LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Tue 17-Jun-08 11:33 AM
#6. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 3

Pittsburgh, US

So glad to hear it! That's the one I really want.

Lisa

LMagee Silver Member Nikonian since 20th May 2008Tue 17-Jun-08 11:31 AM
#5. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 2

Pittsburgh, US

Gerry,

I know, I know. I still might, but I have to admit I was kind of leaning more toward the D60. I went to the camera store yesterday and tried out both of them. They are pretty darn similar, although I really liked the eyecup? better on the D60.

Lisa

Menarue Registered since 18th Mar 2010Thu 18-Mar-10 12:19 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 5

PT

I have had my D60 for about 6 months now and I absolutely love it. No problems at all and I have taken thousands of photos and a lot of them are keepers. Any problems I had at first were because I didn´t know how to use my camera properly. It is my first SLR and I am very pleased with my choice.

seary Registered since 29th Jan 2008Fri 20-Jun-08 12:28 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Lots of people are having problems with the D60. This link relates to screen flicker:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=27549539

Nikon have had discussions with me on the D60 that I bought relating to the flickering screen. And I mentioned the above thread to them.

There are also problems with stuck pixels:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/d60/discuss/72157604241711789/#comment72157605340443247

I suggest you read through my issues with the D60 before deciding on whether it is user error. You can see I have worked with staff at shops and Nikon themselves, to no avail:

http://community.dcmag.co.uk/forums/thread/810349.aspx

Please look through the links in the above thread. It gives links to other users on flickr having the same problems.

The D60 has serious problems with:

-stuck pixels
-LCD screen flickering

Several people have contacted me directly after the threads I started in flickr, saying they have problems with flickering screens and stuck pixels. The service dept seems to be useless in resolving the issues.

I got through 4 cameras in a month, sending them back when they were faulty. My recommendations are:

-rely on the retailer for dealing with this. Check their return policy. They should give a refund upon request if the camera is not fit for purpose and returned within a reasonable length of time. If they say otherwise, don't buy from them

-don't open software or fill in the cashback offer until as late as possible, as this causes problems with refunds

This was such a problem that I've sold my Nikon kit and moved to Canon.

OrlandoRealtor Registered since 28th May 2008Fri 20-Jun-08 08:42 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D60 problems?-None here with my D60"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Wow Seary have not had any of those problems with my D60 and I bet more owners have not had problems than have had them. No flickering screen or dead pixels.On the DPR forum a few owners complained but the majority like me had no problems. There are going to be bugs in any new product that comes out, that is why they have firmware updates. Just the ones that have problems complain and makes them sound like a majority which I am sure they are not. I bet Nikon can address whatever flicker problem there is with a firmware udate.

sunazican Registered since 13th Jun 2008Sat 21-Jun-08 03:02 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D60 problems?-None here with my D60"
In response to Reply # 9

US

No problems here. Just some NOOB (operator) user errors.
I've only had my D60 for a week and only 200+shots, some keepers.

lkmstone Registered since 21st Feb 2008Sun 22-Jun-08 12:54 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D60 problems?-None here with my D60"
In response to Reply # 10

US

I love my D60. Have been using it since the first of April. 3000+ shots. NO PROBLEMS! Any hint of a problem have been due to operator error not having the camera set correctly for what I want to do.

sorin Registered since 06th Sep 2007Sun 22-Jun-08 02:28 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D60 problems?-None here with my D60"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun 22-Jun-08 02:34 PM by sorin

RO

here's another thread "seary" copy/pasted this post.
someone there tested 450d and it seems it flickers too

http://www.thinkcamera.com/forum/forummessages/mps/utn/2166/dt/4/srchdte/0/v/1/sp/332488698376344571402

i understand if some people are upset but you should know that an eye sensor can't be perfect. it probably will be tweaked, either in the factory on future hardware revisions and/or firmware if it needs more precision but will never be perfect using IR detection, the same method canon uses.

anyone tested with a strong IR source? a tv remote? if it fools the sensor i hope you won't return the camera for "tv remote incompatibility"

oh and about hot/stuck/dead pixels question. all cameras all brands have them, and all will have more in time. if you don't see any at all you are either very lucky (for a short time) or you see a software remapping. google for it.

shotglass Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2010Fri 19-Mar-10 12:36 AM
96 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield Ohio, US

Lisa, I've had my D60 for over a year and have piled on over a thousand shots without any problems. It has been one great picture after another as long as there is no operator error. As a testament to its' build quality it just went down a flight of stairs with me following close behind and everything works perfectly with the exception of the flash. Fortunately I was going to get a new flash for it anyway. I can't say enough good things about this great little camera. Great pictures, travels well, and extremely durable. Highly recommended.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Please Visit My Website www.pfbimages.photoshelter.com

klj59 Registered since 25th Mar 2010Fri 26-Mar-10 05:32 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

I agree! I've had mine for over a year and have had many compliments on the pictures. I tell people it's the camera, not the operator! I have found it easy to use and have probably taken over 3,000 pictures with it. Occasionally, I will get a blurry pic but that's because of operator error, not the camera. However, as with anything, there are going to be problems and I agree with an earlier post - be sure you are dealing with a good camera shop who will stand behind the product.

Menarue Registered since 18th Mar 2010Mon 29-Mar-10 09:18 AM
#16. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 15

PT

Could anyone tell me if it is normal for the screen to go blank in very sunny conditions? I try to adjust my aperture etc and find I can only see the details if I turn off the camera and turn it on again.
As soon as I go to my car and shade it I have no problems.
It is only a little thing and doesn´t bother me that much but I only want to know if this is normal.

conor5150 Registered since 04th May 2009Mon 29-Mar-10 03:25 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 16
Mon 29-Mar-10 04:04 PM by conor5150

Bronx, US

I have had my D60 for about a year now and have no complaints with it, I even took a big fall with it last summer in to a puddle of water and afer it dried out it worked fine, so it's pretty durable too.

Menarue , I am sure you are not talking about how the Eye sensor turns off the LCD display when you bring the viewfinder up to your eye, so I can only think that what you are experiencing is normal for an LCD screen under bright sunlight.

There are solutions like a Hoodman product that fix such problems, or just shade it with your hand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/conorcoen/

Menarue Registered since 18th Mar 2010Mon 29-Mar-10 04:02 PM
#18. "RE: D60 problems?"
In response to Reply # 17

PT

I love my d60 and I have taken some wonderful photos with it and for now I am perfectly happy and won´t even upgrade for some time yet.
I will try a Hoodman. I am fairly new to slr but no, the eye sensor is no mystery to me, I am relieved to hear that it is normal for this to happen in sunlight, where I live the sun can be very bright.
Thanks I was just want to be reassured and you have done just that.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #29523 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.