Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #29506
View in linear mode

Subject: "Targus or Opteka Battery Grip for my D40X, which one is..." Previous topic | Next topic
typerico Registered since 16th Jun 2008Mon 16-Jun-08 12:15 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Targus or Opteka Battery Grip for my D40X, which one is better?"

US

Hey guys, I'm not sure where exactly to post this and I apologize to the mods if this does not belong here so feel free to transfer it to the appropriate section. Anyway, I'm trying to decide which battery grip for my D40X and I have narrowed down my choices between the two products mentioned above? I have heard mixed reviews from both products but do you know which one is a better quality?

Hopefully, getting a battery grip could improve my vertical shooting especially on all of my manual af lenses. Thanks guys!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

twistedlogic Registered since 07th Apr 2008Mon 16-Jun-08 03:51 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Targus or Opteka Battery Grip for my D40X, which one is better?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 16-Jun-08 03:52 PM by twistedlogic

US

Just wondering if your aware that the shutter button works via IR mode. There is no interface between the grip and the camera, only power.

I've read the Targus grip is poorly made and will break easily. Not sure the quality of the Opteka.

Have you checked out Adoramas D40 battery grip? I don't think it has a IR shutter though, but it is only half the price of the Targus. Sadly its OOS at the moment.

If you do decide on one, could you let me know how it works. I was interested in buying a battery grip for extra power, but I haven't come close to running out of juice in a single outing.

ruca2k8 Registered since 27th Feb 2008Mon 16-Jun-08 06:31 PM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Targus or Opteka Battery Grip for my D40X, which one is better?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cascais, PT

If you've made your choice, then I won't contribute anything.

In any case, I have the Hahnel grip and I'm pleased.

Allows 1 or 2 batteries, as well as 6AA batteries if needed in an emergency.

Also came with an IR remote.

Has not shutter release or command dial and though I've read that the Opteka has one, I haven't seen one in pics. And so far I've only read about IR coupling, as already mentioned, so I wouldn't pay extra for that anyway.

Rui

juin21 Registered since 09th May 2008Mon 16-Jun-08 11:56 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Targus or Opteka Battery Grip for my D40X, which one is better?"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 17-Jun-08 12:04 AM by juin21

US

I'm thinking of Link Delights battery grip, it does time lapse, which is kinda interesting. Could be kinda neat when used with the movie mode. The plastic also seems to look similar to the D60s.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-Battery-Grip-for-Nikon-D40X-D40-Camera-2-EN-EL9-B2M_W0QQitemZ190230284008QQihZ009QQcategoryZ15215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have this and if so please post a quick review!?!?!

jewhj14 Registered since 17th Apr 2008Wed 18-Jun-08 05:30 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Targus or Opteka Battery Grip for my D40X, which one is better?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have the Opteka Battery Grip on my D40 and it works great. It will take 1 or 2 camera batteries - will also take 6 AA batteris. It does has a shutter release button. It seems to be a good, quality accessory.

Jeff

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #29506 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.