nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #28726
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?" Previous topic | Next topic
aankers     Registered since 11th Aug 2006 Thu 22-May-08 07:03 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"

Everything looks great in the viewer and then I download the pix and they appear under exposed? I have no problem normally viewing on the PC but the version on the camera appear exactly as I want but the PC version always needs brighting. I use to shoot in mode "P" at a +1.0 and the pix appeared at the correct exposure. Am I the only one with this problem?

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... eddie_kawasaki
22nd May 2008
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... mtpenmaker
22nd May 2008
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... greshaki
23rd May 2008
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... Danelaw
23rd May 2008
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... Stankley
23rd May 2008
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... dave_gt
23rd May 2008
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
23rd May 2008
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... RoadKingMoe
24th May 2008
Reply message RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC p... MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
24th May 2008

eddie_kawasaki   Alexandria, US  Registered since 07th Jan 2007 Thu 22-May-08 07:09 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it possible that camera viewscreen brightness is set too high in brightness?

mtpenmaker   Billings, US  Registered since 23rd Aug 2007 Thu 22-May-08 07:30 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 22-May-08 07:31 PM by mtpenmaker

Two different technologies are involved. What you see on the LCD will never be exactly what you see on a monitor. I don't really bother much with the image on the LCD, I check the histogram and if it's OK, I know it will look fine on the monitor.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, FM2n, D40, N90s and not enough glass

greshaki   Perth, AU  Registered since 09th Oct 2007 Fri 23-May-08 01:15 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 2

the screen on your camera is more of a guide than anything else, and you have to zoom in to really see how youve done for sharpness and blur etc. I would use the histogram or the blinking highlights as a guide on your camera too

(when youre looking at the photo, push up or down and go thru the different options til you find the histogram and blinking highlights, its very useful)

D40X
Nikon 18-70mm and 50mm f/1.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manypixors

Danelaw   Fremantle, AU  Registered since 05th May 2008 Fri 23-May-08 09:30 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 0

Set the LCD brightness at -2 (negative 2).
Not only its saves battery, it matches most monitors (eg, mine) perfectly. Also, if your shooting in a dark place, it will look brighter than it is.

Feel free to check out danelaw.deviantart.com
D40x, 18-55, 70-300VR, Tamron 90mm, Kenko 2x teleconvertor.

Stankley   US  Registered since 21st Nov 2006 Fri 23-May-08 11:32 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you sure your computer montitor is correctly callibrated? You may want to try running Adobe Gamma, or better still invest in a monitor callibration device.

dave_gt   US  Basic Member Fri 23-May-08 11:47 AM
1085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mine needs compensation on exposure. Works fine.

In case you haven't read this, it will help with all your other settings as well.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

dave

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography   Livermore, CA, US  Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006 Fri 23-May-08 05:31 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 0

The only functions you should be using on the camera LCD to check exposure is the histogram and the highlights screen. You can zoom to check focus. Other than that, the appearance of the photo on that screen is largely irrelevent to what the photo looks like.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

RoadKingMoe   US  Registered since 01st Apr 2008 Sat 24-May-08 02:43 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 0

As said above, the brightness of the image on the camera's LCD and on a computer screen are independent of the brightness (exposure) of the image. Get the exposure right with the histograms (both luminance and filter effects in the Retouch menu), then adjust the camera LCD and computer monitor brightness (and contrast on the computer monitor) until they display those properly exposed images at the brightness level you like.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas   US  Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007 Sat 24-May-08 03:59 PM
27643 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why does the viewer pix appear better than the PC pix?"
In response to Reply # 0

If you are shooting in Program mode with Exposure Compensation set to 0 and The Images are dark on your computer monitor only. I will bet that your computer monitor is out of calibration. If you calibrate your monitor the problem should be solved.
The other possibility could be the meter in your camera may need recalibrating. This is very rarely the case. Therefore I will bet that your Monitor is out of calibration.
There are varoius monitor calibrators on the market; including Spyder2PRO by ColorVision. Good Luck.
Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #28726 Previous topic | Next topic