Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #285
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best settings for indoor group photos" Previous topic | Next topic
ved50 Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 06:49 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best settings for indoor group photos"

Boise, US

Hello everyone, I am looking for your suggestions about the D50's best settings for indoor group photographs during the day and in the night with incandestant lamps, avoiding the flash.

vedanth

D50
18-55mm DX Nikkor
55-200mm DX Nikkor

veda

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Best settings for indoor group photos
Curtisj2 Silver Member
04th Nov 2005
edmun
04th Nov 2005
brown592
10th Nov 2005
Curtisj2 Silver Member
10th Nov 2005
mark_baker
11th Nov 2005

Curtisj2 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 04:39 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Best settings for indoor group photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Minneapolis, US

Given the lenses you have, I see problems for you without a flash.... even if your lens is wide open, I am betting that given the light source your exposure will have to be relatively long.... and most people cannot remain motionless for more than 1/30 or 1/15 second.... I think you will not get the sharpness you want.

I have used the internal D50 flash indoors for small groups and have been happy with the results... for larger groups, I use an SB-600 with a diffuser..

Hope this helps.

Curtis

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 04-Nov-05 07:41 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best settings for indoor group photos"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

Curtis has it right.

Settings for groups at least f8 for depth of field and 1/60 to stop movement and ISO 400 or less for enlarging.

Forgot -- proper white balance and color mode to I or II. (pg 59)

ledmun

brown592 Basic MemberThu 10-Nov-05 03:06 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Best settings for indoor group photos"
In response to Reply # 1

Centerville, US

>Given the lenses you have, I see problems for you without a
>flash.... even if your lens is wide open, I am betting that
>given the light source your exposure will have to be
>relatively long.... and most people cannot remain motionless
>for more than 1/30 or 1/15 second.... I think you will not
>get the sharpness you want.
>
>I have used the internal D50 flash indoors for small groups
>and have been happy with the results... for larger groups, I
>use an SB-600 with a diffuser..
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Curtis
In this response you mentioned a diffuser for your SB-600. I just purchased the SB-600 yesterday but the only diffuser I saw was the small pull out plastic piece that is on the top of the SB-600. Is that the diffuser? If not, what brand is yours and where do you buy one and should it be used all the time when you use the SB-600.

Thanks for your help.
Bob

Curtisj2 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 10-Nov-05 09:15 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Best settings for indoor group photos"
In response to Reply # 3

Minneapolis, US

The diffuser I use is made by Sto-Fen. It is called the Omni-Boune 600 and runs about $20.
I use it primarily indoors for taking pictures of groups.

See it at
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=359281&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Hope that helps.
Curtis

mark_baker Registered since 09th Nov 2005Fri 11-Nov-05 09:33 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Best settings for indoor group photos"
In response to Reply # 0

Southampton, GB

With my film camera I'd use my f/1.8 50mm lens; at that sort of aperture you should be able to get enough light to get a decent photo inside. Of course, the reduced depth of field might be a problem depending on how your group was arranged, but should be enough for one or two lines of people.

But with the field of view crop on a digital camera, you wouldn't get the whole group in. My old 50mm lens would, if I could be bothered with guessing the exposure manually, be useful as a short tele for portraits etc, but not for larger groups. Now I've got a D50 I suppose I need to look at getting a 35mm or so lens to go with it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #285 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.