nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #28403
View in linear mode

Subject: "50mm f/1.8 lens for D60" Previous topic | Next topic
joseaqui   US  Registered since 08th May 2008 Tue 13-May-08 06:27 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"

Hi,
I'm new to dSLR and recently purchased a Nikon D60. I keep reading about the 50mm f/1.8 lens and how good and cheap it is. I found the Nikkon brand doesn't support auto-focus with the D60. Is auto-focus really a big deal? Can I get great shots using manual focusing? Is it worth getting this lense for my D60? Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this lense for a D60. Thanks!

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60 twistedlogic
13th May 2008
Reply message RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60 joseaqui
13th May 2008
Reply message RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60 sillyconguru
13th May 2008
13th May 2008
Reply message RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60 Cookies35 Silver Member
13th May 2008
13th May 2008
     Reply message RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60 Cookies35 Silver Member
13th May 2008
Reply message RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60 Beatkat Silver Member
13th May 2008
13th May 2008
     Reply message RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60 Sidebrow
14th May 2008
Reply message RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60 gryphon1911
15th May 2008

twistedlogic   US  Registered since 07th Apr 2008 Tue 13-May-08 06:42 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd say if your comfortable with manual focus, need some fast glass for low light situations, and can use a 50mm (75mm w/crop factor) fixed focal length, go for it.

Auto-focus is a big deal to most users. In most cameras, AF is usually more precise than manual with an ordinary viewfinder.

joseaqui   US  Registered since 08th May 2008 Tue 13-May-08 07:23 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks, Twistedlogic!

sillyconguru   UK  Registered since 31st Oct 2005 Tue 13-May-08 06:45 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

>Is auto-focus really a big deal?

Not a big deal but it helps. Many of us got by perfectly well before the advent of AF

>Can I get great shots using manual focusing?

Yes.

>Is it worth getting this lens for my D60?

Yes.

If you want to see how well you can manage without AF just set the lens you have to 50mm (or therabouts) and manual focus. Although this won't be exactly the same as focussing a f/1.8 lens it'll give you an idea.

joseaqui   US  Registered since 08th May 2008 Tue 13-May-08 07:22 PM
#3. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 2

>>Is auto-focus really a big deal?
>
>Not a big deal but it helps. Many of us got by perfectly well
>before the advent of AF
>
>>Can I get great shots using manual focusing?
>
>Yes.
>
>>Is it worth getting this lens for my D60?
>
>Yes.
>
>
>
>If you want to see how well you can manage without AF just set
>the lens you have to 50mm (or therabouts) and manual focus.
>Although this won't be exactly the same as focussing a f/1.8
>lens it'll give you an idea.

Thanks! I tried Manual focus on my 18-55mm lense that came with my D60 and works fine for me.

Cookies35 Silver Member  NL  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007 Tue 13-May-08 07:25 PM
1971 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

>Can I get great shots using manual focusing?

I replied to a question in another forum about manual focusing. You might be interested in reading what I said (here, in post #10). In addition, if you'd like to think seriously about manual focusing, take a look at Katz Eye focusing screens (here). They haven't released the Katz Eye for D60 yet, but given that the camera is almost identical to the D40/x, it shouldn't take long.

But it is DEFINITELY worth getting a 50mm f/1.8 if you're willing/able to put in the time to learn how to focus it; no question in my mind.

Good luck!

-- LaDonna

joseaqui   US  Registered since 08th May 2008 Tue 13-May-08 07:30 PM
#6. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 5

>>Can I get great shots using manual
>focusing?

>
>I replied to a question in another forum about manual
>focusing. You might be interested in reading what I said (>href="http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=150&topic_id=29388&mesg_id=29388&page=#29429f"]here,
>in post #10). In addition, if you'd like to think seriously
>about manual focusing, take a look at Katz Eye focusing
>screens (>href="http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Custom-Focusing-Screens--store.html"]here).
>They haven't released the Katz Eye for D60 yet, but given that
>the camera is almost identical to the D40/x, it shouldn't take
>long.
>
>But it is DEFINITELY worth getting a 50mm f/1.8 if you're
>willing/able to put in the time to learn how to focus it; no
>question in my mind.
>
>Good luck!
>
>-- LaDonna
>
>_________________________________
>A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Thanks! I'll look into the Katz Eye.

Cookies35 Silver Member  NL  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007 Tue 13-May-08 07:41 PM
1971 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 6

>>Thanks! I'll look into the Katz Eye.

You're welcome! You might also want to check out the D40 Digitutor for tips on manual focusing. Click on the Site Map at the top of the photograph, or on the Menu list on the side, to find "Focus Settings," and look up the two pages on manual focusing. The D40 has the exact same body as the D60, so the mechanics (and of course the photography tips) will be exactly the same.

-- LaDonna

Beatkat Silver Member  Oxford, US  Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007 Tue 13-May-08 07:40 PM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a great lens that can be useful in several situations, and I find that manual focusing it is plenty easy, but my eyes are pretty good, where it's a little harder is in manual aperture settings, but because you have instant feedback with the LCD, it's easy to compensate as long as your subject is cooperative, but fast, can be found inexpensive, and great optical quality that Nikkors are famous for

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

joseaqui   US  Registered since 08th May 2008 Tue 13-May-08 08:55 PM
#9. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 7

>It's a great lens that can be useful in several situations,
>and I find that manual focusing it is plenty easy, but my eyes
>are pretty good, where it's a little harder is in manual
>aperture settings, but because you have instant feedback with
>the LCD, it's easy to compensate as long as your subject is
>cooperative, but fast, can be found inexpensive, and great
>optical quality that Nikkors are famous for

Thanks! I've read that it's a great lens that can be used for almost every situation. I don't mind manual focusing and my eyes are pretty healthy. I mainly want to use it for my kids, even if that means me running around with them!

Sidebrow   US  Registered since 22nd Jul 2006 Wed 14-May-08 07:04 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 9

I use my 50mm more than half the time on my D40 (the other half is the kit 18-55). I find the manual focus quite easy (and I don't have the best eyes).

I think it takes much better pictures than kit lens - and I really like opening the aperture all the way or most of the way on close ups - can't blur the background on the kit lens.

It's cheap, and takes great shots.

----
D40, N80, Panasonic dp&s
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyusc/

gryphon1911   US  Registered since 16th May 2006 Thu 15-May-08 04:17 AM
450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: 50mm f/1.8 lens for D60"
In response to Reply # 0

If you think that auto focus might be aomething you want/need, Sigma does make an HSM 50mm f/1.8(I think it's 1.8).

While more expensive than the 50mm f/1.8D, it solves a potential issue.

Andrew
D300, D50, N90s

http://www.bestlightphoto.net

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #28403 Previous topic | Next topic