nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)

sumognat

US
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sumognat Registered since 27th Nov 2007
Thu 24-Apr-08 08:02 PM

Does anyone have experience with this lens and camera combination? There is one for sale in my area at a decent price and I am wondering if it's worth the trouble, considering its weight (2.8lbs) and the fact that it has no tripod collar.

I know it won't AF with the D40 and am wondering how much of a pain it would be to focus this lens manually? Would handholding this lens cause many troubles with blurred images due to camera shake? Could the use of a monopod assist with this?

I have the 18-70 AFS and 55-200 AFS VR as my traveling lens for hiking and am considering adding this lens to my lens bag to use during hikes or stops along the road for landscape and/or wildlife (if it's close enough) and low-light situations. The only lens that I think I may want to add in the future is the Sigma 10-20.

The faster glass makes this lens appealing to me, but I'm not sure if the weight and lack of tripod collar will ultimately be problematic. I've tossed around the idea of getting the 70-300 VR to replace the 55-200 VR at some point in the future, but I'm not sure if it'd really be worth it and might rather consider investing in faster glass at a cheaper price (hence this AF verstion of the 80-200).

Thanks in advance!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)
               Reply message RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)i

G