Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27932
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)" Previous topic | Next topic
sumognat Registered since 27th Nov 2007Thu 24-Apr-08 08:02 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)"

US

Does anyone have experience with this lens and camera combination? There is one for sale in my area at a decent price and I am wondering if it's worth the trouble, considering its weight (2.8lbs) and the fact that it has no tripod collar.

I know it won't AF with the D40 and am wondering how much of a pain it would be to focus this lens manually? Would handholding this lens cause many troubles with blurred images due to camera shake? Could the use of a monopod assist with this?

I have the 18-70 AFS and 55-200 AFS VR as my traveling lens for hiking and am considering adding this lens to my lens bag to use during hikes or stops along the road for landscape and/or wildlife (if it's close enough) and low-light situations. The only lens that I think I may want to add in the future is the Sigma 10-20.

The faster glass makes this lens appealing to me, but I'm not sure if the weight and lack of tripod collar will ultimately be problematic. I've tossed around the idea of getting the 70-300 VR to replace the 55-200 VR at some point in the future, but I'm not sure if it'd really be worth it and might rather consider investing in faster glass at a cheaper price (hence this AF verstion of the 80-200).

Thanks in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)
mtpenmaker
24th Apr 2008
sumognat
24th Apr 2008
Covey22 Moderator
24th Apr 2008
gwdave
25th Apr 2008
               Reply message RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)i
edmun
25th Apr 2008
sumognat
30th Apr 2008

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 24-Apr-08 08:22 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

You could get blurred images if you shot at less than 1/250 second and 1/500 would be a lot better. The biggest problem is not having the tripod collar. I'm not sure how the D40 lens mount would hold up to supporting the lens if you mounted the camera on a tripod. You would have a fairly heavy and long lever arm hanging off the camera and it could damage the mount. The tripod collars are there for a good reason and I would question how well it's been cared for given that it's missing.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, FM2n, D40, N90s and not enough glass

sumognat Registered since 27th Nov 2007Thu 24-Apr-08 08:37 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 24-Apr-08 08:38 PM by sumognat

US

Thanks for the reponse, Gerry!

From what I've read, I'd have to buy a good-quality tripod and lens support bracket in order to adequately support the lens on the D40.

For what it's worth, I don't have a tripod now and lean more towards getting a monopod in the future.

This lens is the 1st version of 3, which Nikon manufactured without the tripod collar. The other 2 versions have different types of collars and sell for more because they have collars. The lens is supposedly in very good shape.

Thanks for the food for thought!

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 24-Apr-08 08:56 PM
10677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 24-Apr-08 08:57 PM by Covey22

US

Kirk has a NC-P80 lens support system similar to the discontinued Manfrotto collar designed for the Gen I 80-200mm f2.8 AF Nikkor. Mind you, it's not as convenient as a conventional tripod collar, just from a size and portability point, but it does give you the ability to mount the lens to a stable support.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

gwdave Registered since 25th Aug 2007Fri 25-Apr-08 12:13 AM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I saw your comment of getting the 70-300VR to replace the 55-200. I would not do that, I have both, and after using both feel that the 55-300 is great for some things. However I like the lite feel of the 55-200, for general work. My 55-200 is not the VR so I don't know if that system adds any weight to the lens or not.
I went to a Zoo the other day with my Granddaughter, I found that I used the 55-200 most of the time. I think if I had used the 70-300 I would have had to switch back, and forth because I found that several times I had to back up to get all I wanted in the glass. Even at that I ended up switching a couple of times to get all the images I wanted....... I do have a Low Pro backpack for my system. It is the laptop one, and love it. I do however end up carrying more than I need most of the time.........

Dave
D40X
18-55, 55-200, 70-300
SB600

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 25-Apr-08 06:09 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)i"
In response to Reply # 4

eugene, US

Manual focus is a pain and can prove to be less accuarate than auto focus.

The lack of a tripod collar on this lens means it is very hard to do verticals on a tripod.

horizontals are fine. The camera can not be tightened enough on the tripod for verticals in my experience.

The weight of the lens is not really a problem.

ledmun

sumognat Registered since 27th Nov 2007Wed 30-Apr-08 08:16 PM
#6. "RE: D40 & 80-200 ED AF (no tripod collar)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Again, thanks for the replies everyone!

I just wanted to follow-up on my post to say that I did purchase the 80-200 2.8 lens (push-pull version) and it's great, even though I have to manual focus.

Here's a link to a pic that took with the D40 and the lens (manual, hand-held); the duck is a bit on the ugly side, but it's all I could find after work yesterday.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2125/2455317456_8f14a7df66_b.jpg

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27932 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.