Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27810
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D60 and Garmin GPS" Previous topic | Next topic
bfd2 Registered since 12th Apr 2008Mon 21-Apr-08 02:26 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D60 and Garmin GPS"
Mon 21-Apr-08 02:30 PM by bfd2

CA

I am new to this form and find it very interesting.
I have a new D60 and love it. I would like to be able to connect my Garmin Etrex Legend C to it. I looked through some of the accessories and found a cord but it has a serial device for the GPS and mine has a small usb plug in the same as the camera. Could I just plug it in with a cord with two small USB ends? Thanks in advance for any and all replies
Bryan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D60 and Garmin GPS
MotoMannequin Moderator
21st Apr 2008
fenris
22nd Apr 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
22nd Apr 2008
wizgnome
28th Apr 2008
bfd2
24th Apr 2008

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 21-Apr-08 08:55 PM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Nikon D60 and Garmin GPS"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Hi Bryan,

Welcome to Nikonians. Sorry but connecting 2 usb slave devices together doesn't work. Your only option to get GPS data into your photos is to take a waypoint every time you take a picture, then use software to insert the coordinates into your jpegs based on timestamp. There is software available so do some searching. Unfortunately no software works on raw files.

D200, D300, D2x, & D3 have an option to plug a GPS directly into the camera.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

fenris Registered since 30th Mar 2008Tue 22-Apr-08 12:25 AM
309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Nikon D60 and Garmin GPS"
In response to Reply # 1

US

huh I've never heard of such software and that could come in handy with my field research. Do you happen to know a name of any of that software?

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 22-Apr-08 09:58 PM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nikon D60 and Garmin GPS"
In response to Reply # 2

Livermore, CA, US

I don't use any such software myself (I never bothered with GPS tagging until after I got my D300) so for a software solution you'll have to do some searching.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

wizgnome Registered since 01st Jun 2006Mon 28-Apr-08 11:05 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D60 and Garmin GPS"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

> There is software available so do
>some searching. Unfortunately no software works on raw files.
>

I use gps photo which is free and can be downloaded from http://www.carto.net/projects/photoTools/gpsPhoto/

This program supports NEF raw files and JPG files.

I have my gps receiver on whilst shooting to record a tracklog, then I use gpsPhoto to add the gps data - it will even access the internet to find the town & country for the location and add it to the photo data.

I have been tagging all my pictures for the past year with it and then using jAlbum to put them on my website with google maps showing the picture location http://photo.wizgnome.com

Mike

bfd2 Registered since 12th Apr 2008Thu 24-Apr-08 05:28 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D60 and Garmin GPS"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Thanks very much for the information I will try and search for the software. I guess if I can't find any I will have to just take a photo of the gps and add to the photo later. Again thank you.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27810 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.