nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27750
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jaybird28   Kent, US  Registered since 15th Apr 2008 Sat 19-Apr-08 05:09 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"

I just got my new D60 and I don't no where to turn for software. I'm currently trying the Nikon software but I've heard that Photoshop Express can be free on-line. Any advise for the best software to purchase or (free) that is not to difficult to use??

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? mtpenmaker
19th Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? murang777
22nd Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? patrickdylan
19th Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? IvarS
19th Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? RoadKingMoe
19th Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? HpyCampin
20th Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? RoadKingMoe
20th Apr 2008
     Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? Cookies35 Silver Member
20th Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? Beatkat Silver Member
21st Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? IvarS
21st Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?II FE Fan
22nd Apr 2008
Reply message RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use? glennaa11 Silver Member
23rd Apr 2008

mtpenmaker   Billings, US  Registered since 23rd Aug 2007 Sat 19-Apr-08 05:22 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 0

Before you use Photoshop express, be sure to read the fine print.

I use Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 and I like it. It doesn't do as much as Photoshop, but it costs a lot less. A lot of people also use Photoshop Elements. You can download free trial versions of either one. With the exception of Gimp, the free programs are not very good and very limited in what they will do. Gimp is a very powerful program but quite difficult to learn.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, FM2n, D40, N90s and not enough glass

murang777   US  Registered since 22nd Apr 2008 Tue 22-Apr-08 07:03 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 1

I can recommend PhotoShop cs3 edition. Really cool and easy to use.

By the way I've got my D60 and I love it. I made almost two thousand pics within 4 weeks . Most of them nature.
My buddy did recommend me site to print http://www.fortoprints.com. They sell 8x10 for $1.28. Any suggestions? Just wondering does anybody print with them?
Thanks

patrickdylan   US  Registered since 19th Apr 2008 Sat 19-Apr-08 05:25 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 0

Try ViewNX and Capture NX first. the integration with the Nikon cameras is (as expected) excellent.

IvarS   Drammen, NO  Registered since 19th Apr 2008 Sat 19-Apr-08 06:25 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 0

It depends upon what my purpose is.
A quick editing of my holiday pictures: I use Picture Project.
Capture NX when I want easy Raw-editing in NEF. Also for cropping and resizing.
From the Capture NX I can later edit the picture in PaintShopPro Phot X2.
PSP X2 gives me the ability to do all the creative stuff I can ever think of. (I don't know what editing to i Photoshop CS3 which I can't do in PaintShopPro Photo X2) The built in Learning Center will give you the hints for what to do.

If you don't purchase the Capture NX, then you can use the ViewNX to convert NEF to TIFF and do the editing in PSP X2. I my self do the RAW-converting directly in PSP X2 for my D40X, but I don't know if you can do so from D60-NEF.

GIMP is a good software, but I find it more difficult to learn. And you can only handle 8 bits colors. (JPG only have 8 bits)

RoadKingMoe   US  Registered since 01st Apr 2008 Sat 19-Apr-08 11:59 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 0

I shoot 100% RAW, use Nikon Transfer to download, Nikon's ViewNX for quick conversion, and Nikon's Capture NX for editing. With RAW (NEF files), CNX is like being able to go back in time to the moment you took the picture and change the camera controls, starting with exposure compensation and white balance. It has lots of other great features and isn't hard to learn at all.

You can download a 30-day trial of CNX at Nikon's website. Make sure to also get the latest update for D60 support.

HpyCampin   Fairfield, US  Registered since 07th Oct 2007 Sun 20-Apr-08 01:05 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 20-Apr-08 01:08 PM by HpyCampin

I shoot in RAW + Jpg basic and i use nikon transfer (free), then view nx (free) and edit in Capture NX. I find them to be a great programs. I bought the book Real World Capture NX which was a terrific resource for the CNX software.

I also have Photoshop Elements 5.0... i have not even used it -- but plan to, someday, when i need it... LOL.

Obviously the key to a great shot is getting it right with the camera first--that's what i've heard, anyway <wink, wink, nod, nod>

You might also check out the Digital Workflow/Post Processing forum (at the bottom of the forums list) for other opinions...

If you want a good shot, get close.
If you want a great shot, get closer.

CT Nikonian
D-50

RoadKingMoe   US  Registered since 01st Apr 2008 Sun 20-Apr-08 01:13 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 5

The Help system in CNX has a good walk-through. Here's another good site to get started with it:

http://www.nx101.com

Cookies35 Silver Member  NL  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007 Sun 20-Apr-08 10:22 PM
1971 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 6

I can't agree enough with the person who suggested Ben Long's book Capture NX, from the "Real World" series. That book is just amazing, and actually is the FIRST place I was able to find that taught me how to edit images (as opposed to just telling me which menu or tool to use if I wanted to feather a selection prior to using the histogram for brightening up the midtones in the red channel on a part of my image ...

I mean, like, HUH???

As a newbie, I could find tons of books to teach me how to use Photoshop Elements, but since the program is based on layers, and since layers is a hard concept to get a hold of, the books all teach you how to remove your brother-in-law from the family portrait, replace the picture of your little brother (who blinked) with his face from the picture right after that (in which he looked fantastic, but your wife blinked), and turn the dog around so it doesn't look like he's running away ...

etc etc etc

Meanwhile, I still had no idea how to take the pictures that had everybody in them that I wanted, all looking dull as dickens, and make the picture look nice. If "insta-fix" didn't fix the problem, I was lost.

It turns out the Photoshop Elements is NOT an easy version of Photoshop; it's a streamlined version of Photoshop, and therein lies a world of difference. Photoshop is based on layers, and so Photoshop Elements is based on layers as well. And the only way to learn layers is to practice on something you already understand (for example, wouldn't it be handy to turn the dog around ...). You can't sensibly learn about layers (which are confusing, not in concept so much as in practice) while practicing on photo-editing (correctly exposure, color cast, noise removal, etc) unless those latter things are something you already a very good working understanding of. Which is why I think the Photoshop books all start with turning the dog around, and don't get to actually fixing your own pictures until page 450, if ever. Frustrating ...

So for a newbie, I'd strongly advise avoiding Photoshop (Elements or CSxyz) like the plague until after you know how to enhance/correct your own pix, without depending solely on "insta-fix" (or whatever it's called in the software you're using).

I've learned SO MUCH using Capture NX, with Ben Long's book taking me step-by-step not only through the menu's but also through the art of photo-editing. NOW, finally, I'm back in Photoshop Elements, and able to understand what I'm doing well enough to finally, actually, learn about layers as well. (They're very useful, for some things, mostly when the original picture doesn't actually contain precisely what you wish it did). Elements is great, but don't start with it; and

Capture NX is fantastic, but only if you have a really good source to learn from. I vote for Ben Long.

Good luck!

-- LaDonna

Beatkat Silver Member  Oxford, US  Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007 Mon 21-Apr-08 04:15 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 22-Apr-08 11:54 PM by Beatkat

I still recommend Faststone...although several here have had negative experiences with it, I find it an excellent program, and use it on all my computers for simple, quick edits, organizing, copying, and moving images to folders, emptying the camera or media cards onto the computer, batch renaming and resizing, etc. It reads, edits, and processes NEF files (Nikon RAW), as well as all other formats, and has many powerful features for your everyday work flow like instant access to the Exif data of a shot,etc.,etc.,etc, it features a slide show screen saver function, and other slide show options, etc...it's no Photoshop, but it is FREE, and a great option. I also use PaintShop Pro 8, Capture One 4, PhotoShop 7, and I still have an older version of MGI Photosuite 4....some of these editors can be "weighty", and have the heavy learning curve that others speak of, and can be overly cryptic to get around in....but of course they're extremely powerful tools. Faststone does a lot of things very well, is fast and comprehensive, and I find it a great asset...it also has a learning curve, but it's relatively easy, and once you learn it, it's quick and intuitive....Grab the PDF manual too if you try it....regards
http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

IvarS   Drammen, NO  Registered since 19th Apr 2008 Mon 21-Apr-08 02:22 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 8

I just downloaded!
I haven't heard of FastStone before, but I will do a short evaluation for my self.
I need some free, simple photeditor for my pupils in the junior school.

FE Fan   Silver Spring, US  Registered since 18th Oct 2004 Tue 22-Apr-08 03:23 AM
1804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?II"
In response to Reply # 0

I will also add my $.02 for Capture NX. It is simply brilliant software. I am new to a DSLR, but have developed an effective (albeit a bit slow) digital post processing workflow for film scans using Paint Shop Pro X.

(Incidentally, I would also recommend Paint Shop Pro, it will do much of what Photo Shop will do and is much less expensive. I considered Elements, but it will not support ICC color profiles like Paint Shop will. At least Elements didn't support profiles at the time and I definitely wanted to use a color managed workflow. The downside of PSP is the lack of plug-ins like Photo Shop has.)

I was a little frustrated with View NX because it doesn't permit you to adjust all if the in-camera settings for D40 RAW files. Otherwise, it seemed to do a good job of RAW conversions.

I played around with a free RAW converter called Raw Therapee, but I don;t think it did as good a job with the conversion process as Nikon software.

I checked out the Capture NX site and was hooked! I loved the ability to undo any previous step. I have been using the trial version and will definitely buy the license when the trial expires. A quick trip through some of the case studies and tips on the NX site helped to get me started. I found them to be very useful.

PSP X still comes in handy for a few tools (like perspective correction for converging verticals) not present in Capture NX, but I find Capture NX to be much, much more photographer friendly. The use of control points is especially intuitive.

It looks like you have decided to give NX a shot, I hope you enjoy it, I can say that I love it so far.

Bart
D300s D40 F3HP FE FM2n Nikkormat FTN

Everything is a subject. Every subject has a rhythm. To feel it is the raison d'être.
The photograph is a fixed moment of such a raison d'être, which lives on in itself.
- Andre Kertesz

My Nikonians Gallery

glennaa11 Silver Member  Arlington, US  Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004 Wed 23-Apr-08 12:14 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: New D60 Owner-What Software to Use?"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree it depends a bit on what you want to accomplish. I don't recommend spending hundreds on CS3 unless you REALLY need its capabilities. I use PS Elements 6 which I like quite a bit. I'm not sure if the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in handles the D60 yet, but if it doesn't it will soon. It can do all sorts great things. I recommend taking a class to fully appreciate what you can do with it unless you are able to learn easily from a book. I prefer to see a demo to learn things. You can try it free for a month to see if you like it. It costs about $80 to buy a copy at Amazon. You may even find it cheaper.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27750 Previous topic | Next topic