nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with?

Apotome

US
103 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Apotome Registered since 27th Jan 2006
Sat 28-Jan-06 02:31 PM

Hi there,

This is my first posting to this site. I'm sure I'll be buying the D50, so I think this is the right forum to post this question. If not, please let me know where would be more appropriate.

I have done a ton of reading before buying my first DSLR. I have made the decision that I'll go with the D50 body, but I'm split on which lens (or lenses) to start with.

A bit of background on my photography experience. I would call myself an intermediate amateur, if there's such a thing. In the 80s and 90s I used a Pentax Program Plus exclusively, shooting mostly with an SMC Pentax-A 35-70mm zoom (f3.5~4.5). I always enjoyed this lens and found it useful under a variety of situations. I also used a Pentax-A 50mm (f1.7). Again, I found it to be a great lens. During those years I didn't shoot a lot of film as I just could never seem to afford the processing.

For the last two years I've been using a Kodak EasyShare DX6440 (4 Megapixel) with a Variogon Schneider-Kreuznach lens. I've found it delivers great results with a minimum of fuss (i.e. my wife loves it but has never read the manual) but I feel as though I've outgrown it.

So now I'm ready for a DSLR.

A couple of additional points:

1) Money is still an issue. I'm hoping to do my initial DSLR kit for around $1100 U.S. That needs to include the body, lens and memory card.

2) My photographic tastes (beyond the usual family and pet photos) run from architecture and landscape through to close-up work indoors. It's the macro work where I find the Kodak really falls short. The blinking thing just can't find anything to focus on half the time.

3) I'm a cyclist and a day-hiker. I want a kit that will be reasonably light, but rugged (thus my desire for a Nikon) and still be as useful in the field as on my work table for macro shots. I've already bought a Lowepro Off Trail 1 beltpack, which I feel will be perfect for my travel style.

4) I have never had a picture (film or digital) blown up beyond 8x10. I doubt I ever will. I want my pics mostly for digital viewing, with the idea being to print only the best of the best as either 4x6 or 5x7.

5) I can and will do some post processing on the computer, but don't want to have to spend all my free time doing that. i.e. I want to focus on developing my own skills and maximizing what the D50 can do with its own tools and whatever lens is on it.

After doing significant reading of reviews I am completely split on which lens to start with. Part of me thinks the 18-55 kit lens that comes with the D50 will be just fine. It's not so expensive that I'll be afraid to take it with me... and that's something I really want to do more of. It's light and yet still reasonably solid from what I gather. And, most importantly, the pics it produces seem more or less to be suitable for my tastes and printing needs, as noted above. Plus... being DSLR I can always add a better/different lens later.

However, it seems the 18-70 lens that comes with the D70s also gets extremely high marks. It appears to be a better made lens overall, but is it *that* much better? The only exception being (and this seems to come up a lot) is some softness and vignetting at the wide end.

So... here are my two thoughts.

a) Get the D50 with 18-55 kit lens and add-on the 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED. I can either get the larger lens with the D50 or pick it up later. Leaving it for now would probably mean a larger or more memory cards now.

b) Get the D50 body with the 18-70 lens. That would mean it would be the only lens for now and I'd be starting with a smaller/slower memory card. (and then still possibly getting the 55-200 later)

I'm trying to maximize what I get for what I am able to spend right now, with the idea being able to pick up another lens and/or more memory later.

Sorry for such a long first posting. I hope the information I've provided gives some idea about my needs and experience. And from that I'm hoping someone can offer suggestions as to which lens route would be best suited for me. And if that's neither option a or b as noted above, I'm happy to entertain any other ideas!

Thanks in advance,
Allan B.

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? Tony B
28th Jan 2006
Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? Apotome
28th Jan 2006
     Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? henlin
28th Jan 2006
29th Jan 2006
Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
28th Jan 2006
28th Jan 2006
     Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
28th Jan 2006
29th Jan 2006
29th Jan 2006
     Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? larrym105 Gold Member
29th Jan 2006
Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? Cruiser2091
29th Jan 2006
29th Jan 2006
30th Jan 2006
Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? eleventyone
29th Jan 2006
29th Jan 2006
     Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? eleventyone
30th Jan 2006
          Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? edmun
30th Jan 2006
          Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? Cruiser2091
30th Jan 2006
30th Jan 2006
31st Jan 2006
          Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? Rickard_F
30th Jan 2006
Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? Rickard_F
30th Jan 2006
30th Jan 2006
30th Jan 2006
30th Jan 2006
          Reply message RE: D50 for sure, but which lens/lenses to start with? Ranger Tim
02nd Feb 2006
02nd Feb 2006
30th Jan 2006
Reply message Very near final decision Apotome
12th Feb 2006
Reply message RE: Very near final decision blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
12th Feb 2006
Reply message RE: Very near final decision britkev
13th Feb 2006
     Reply message RE: Very near final decision Apotome
13th Feb 2006

G