Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27596
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 vs D60" Previous topic | Next topic
Virtuoso Registered since 05th Nov 2007Mon 14-Apr-08 06:11 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 vs D60"

Thinking of getting a back-up body for my D300. Logical choice was D60 but this review really makes me think twice
http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/d60.htm

Another question is... would you guys think thank Nikon will update its D40 soon? I am guessing no since it just launched the D60 but seems that D40 will not be replaced and will target a certain price point in the market $400+ market. The D40 is 2 yrs old nevertheless.

Do you still think its a good buy?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40 vs D60
James23p Moderator
14th Apr 2008
ruca2k8
14th Apr 2008
blw Moderator
14th Apr 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
14th Apr 2008
carlostau
17th Apr 2008
CAtrike
17th Apr 2008
carlostau
17th Apr 2008
CAtrike
17th Apr 2008
carlostau
18th Apr 2008
glennaa11 Silver Member
21st Apr 2008
LPacilio
22nd Apr 2008
maxwell1
23rd Apr 2008
Sharptail
24th Apr 2008
texxter Moderator
24th Apr 2008
palamara Silver Member
30th Apr 2008
Abner
30th Apr 2008

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Mon 14-Apr-08 07:00 AM
9108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Apr-08 01:53 PM by James23p

Memphis, US

The D40x essentially was an upgrade of the D40 and the D60 seems to be the replacement of the D40x even though Nikon still lists both as current bodies. The D40 is right now one of the lowest priced DSLR bodies out there and takes great pictures but so does the D40x at a few more MP and the D60 with a few more features. I guess it depends on what you want to spend and if you find the extra MP and features of the D60 worth the money.

Now Ken Rockwell tends to be a lightning rod due to his style of reviews. I would ask we stay on topic and not Ken's style. Thanks All

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

ruca2k8 Registered since 27th Feb 2008Mon 14-Apr-08 09:08 AM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Cascais, PT

I think Ken Rockwell says some truths but also some mistruths.

I read him as naturally biased to the D40. I have the 40x and wouldn't go back if I had the choice. It's not the extra $100 that make you get better glass anyway, at least not for me. And with a larger image size, I can crop for some far subjects I will shoot in the future (maybe I can live with a 70-200/2.8 and not shed an extra $1000 for a 300/2.8, thereby saving me more than buying the D40 would).

In essence, IM(W)O, if I had the D40, would I buy the 40x? No, most likely not. Same goes for the D60. Unless I could find a good buyer for my D40 at least.

Same goes for now. Will I buy a D60? Likely not and I'll save for a second body, like a D300, keeping my 40x for vacations/everyday use.

Read more reviews if you haven't, and take all of them with an open mind and critical eye of your own.

If I didn't have any camera, I'd get the D60.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 14-Apr-08 11:30 AM
26293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Personally, I'd completely ignore that review (and that reviewer). It's too hard to distinguish uninformed opinion from informed facts, both of which are common there.

Yes, I think the D40 will be replaced relatively soon, probably by another 6mp or 8mp body at an even lower price point.

However, both the D40 and D60 are excellent cameras as long as you don't need the features that they're missing (the ones I think of are compatibility with screwdriver AF lenses, DOF preview, more advanced AF system, and fairly different controls than other models).

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 14-Apr-08 03:24 PM
8581 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

KR's advice (I won't go as far to call it a review) is slanted to what's ideal for making 4x6 prints and/or posting web-sized on the internet, which is probably what most people do, and for which the D40 is more than enough camera. Be careful though, because that advice is given in the context of professional fine art photography, so it appeals very much to people doing the former and wanting to be the latter. If this is you, then get the D40.

Given the features and style of controls on the D300 body, I think the ideal backup would be a used D200, which are widely available in the $700-$900 range.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

carlostau Registered since 16th Mar 2008Thu 17-Apr-08 03:03 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Buenos Aires, AR

If I recall correct, both D40 and D60 are Kit cameras that come with 18-55 or 18-55 VR repectively, so if someone is selling them as body only, that means that they were opened. If you are looking for a backup body, I think you should probably spend a little more and get a D80 body which has the focus motor built in in the camera and will be more compatible with your existing lenses. (D60 body is $600 and D80 is $700). Remember that D40 and D60 will only autofocus with either AF-S or AF-I.

Demian - Nikon D40- Nikkor 55-200 VR

CAtrike Registered since 22nd Jan 2008Thu 17-Apr-08 03:50 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>If I recall correct, both D40 and D60 are Kit cameras that
>come with 18-55 or 18-55 VR repectively, so if someone is
>selling them as body only, that means that they were opened.

By opened do you just mean the lens was removed? These are all interchangeable lens cameras (that come with body caps) so the term "opened" is meaningless.

carlostau Registered since 16th Mar 2008Thu 17-Apr-08 06:30 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 6

Buenos Aires, AR

By opened I mean the box was opened, not the camera, and someone removed the lens since they come standard with it. Anyway, the point is not that, but to consider that for 100 bucks you can get a way better camera than the D60.

CAtrike Registered since 22nd Jan 2008Thu 17-Apr-08 11:43 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Gotcha!

carlostau Registered since 16th Mar 2008Fri 18-Apr-08 12:23 AM
#9. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 8

Buenos Aires, AR

Thanks, I apologize if the reply came out kinda rude

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Mon 21-Apr-08 02:49 AM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 6

Arlington, US

I have seen the D60 listed for sale as body only from the very reputable Penn Camera but it is currently listed as "out of stock" on their website so I suppose that may mean that it will be offered as body only at some point.

I have a D40 and have made prints up to 13x19 that look awesome.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve

LPacilio Registered since 23rd Apr 2004Tue 22-Apr-08 02:16 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Utica, US

Ken Rockwell is pretty much a blowhard.

Get the D60.

maxwell1 Registered since 01st Jul 2007Wed 23-Apr-08 02:24 AM
369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Worcester, US

Last week, I upgraded to a Nikon D300. I still love my little D40, now the perfect backup body. It is such a fun camera, and has a lot of charm. And most importantly, takes great pictures. Yes, the D300 is close to professional grade. And years from now, digital cameras will never have the collector/classic status that film bodies now enjoy. But a lot of enthusiasts like myself are going to recall warmly how that great little camera got them started in digital photography.

A
Nikon D300
Nikon D40
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor 18-55mm
Nikkor 55-200mm VR-I
Nikkor 18-200mm VR-II
Nikon SB-400 Speedlight
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

Sharptail Registered since 19th Jan 2007Thu 24-Apr-08 03:32 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmonton, CA

As a backup to a D300 (or D200 for that matter), the D40/40x/60 cameras are less than ideal IMHO. The reason I believe this is that they use different batteries and memory cards than the D300. I believe that a backup camera should share these items with the primary camera, not just to reduce costs, but to reduce clutter and confusion as well.

Then there is the matter of the Nikon CLS and Commander Mode availability from the built in flash - it is absent from the D40/40x/60 models. If you use off camera flash, you will have to buy an SU-800 for the backup camera.

Autofocus compatibility with non AF-S lenses is also an issue if you have a collection of nice fast prime non AF-S lenses. Manual focus through the viewfinder of a D40 series camera is not the best option.

For a backup to a D300, a nice condition D70 or D70s is a good choice. While it has half the pixels of the D300 (same as the D40), it shares the same battery and memory card type. The D70 has CLS commander mode capability. It has an AF motor in the body for lens compatibility. Plus, the D70's have the advantage of an electronic shutter and 1/500 sec. flash synch speed (which the D300, D40x and D60 lack).

As MotoMannequin pointed out, the D200 would also make a fine backup to the 300. It also shares lens compatibility, CLS, batteries and memory cards and also the remote connector. The D70 cameras use a different remote shutter system.

The D70s is smaller and lighter than the D300 and fills the roll of a backup camera well. You should be able to find a mint D70s body for half the price of a similar D200. The D200 would also be an excellent choice if budget is not the primary concern.

I like the D40/40x/60 series cameras (I do!). I am sure that the 6 MP sensor in the D40 gives a cleaner image than the similar sensor in the D70, if only because of newer electronics. But in the role as a backup camera to a D300 they are less than ideal.

Sharptail

texxter Moderator Awarded for his high skills in studio photography Nikonian since 18th Feb 2006Thu 24-Apr-08 05:21 AM
2351 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 13
Thu 24-Apr-08 05:22 AM by texxter

Plano, US

I agree completely with the comments about the D40/D60 as a backup for a D300. I own a D300, my current body, with a D200 as a backup, meaning the D200 is in a bag just in case the D300 breaks or needs to be sent for service. It doesn't get used at all because the D300 works like a charm.

Having said that, I have a D40x, which I love, and its NOT a backup, it's a different camera that gets used a lot as a P&S replacement. Whenever I travel I carry a tiny bag with my D40x and the Nikkor 18-70, plus the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 beauty. I love to go *anywhere* and still be able to create good images without having to carry a large bag. The big, expensive lenses stay home unless the travel is for the sole purpose of doing photography.

palamara Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2002Wed 30-Apr-08 05:35 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

Well I use my D50 as a backup to the D300. I have not had one problem with the 50 in the last 2 years and i must admit its size and weight is a also a big plus.

JP

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Abner Registered since 20th Jun 2007Wed 30-Apr-08 05:34 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D40 vs D60"
In response to Reply # 0

Urbana, US

You do not say what your definition of backup is. It has a completely different meaning for a professional and an amateur. If you are a professional and really use the powerful features of the D300, then no the D40 or D60 would not an adequate substitutes. If you are an amateur, and just want another camera if your goes in for service, then I would certainly go with the D60 or a D40.

As a matter of fact I have a D300 and a D60. I love the D60 when I want to travel light. When on vacation I take both cameras and my wife uses the D60 and I use the D300. Prior to this we used a D200 and a D40. All great cameras.

It's great to have a nice small light weight camera when you carry it for 8 or 10 hours! The D60 is perfect for that when you do not need the sophistication of the D300.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27596 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.