nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27441
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
jennie11 Registered since 08th Apr 2008Tue 08-Apr-08 05:17 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"

CA

Hello,
I am having a very hard time making the decision between the D-60 and D-80!!! I have 2 children so some sport shots, not often but sometimes, lots of indoor shots of the kids, also lots of outdoor day and night shots. I also travel alot and like to take lots of pictures on my trips. Is the D-80 that much heavier than the D-60?? Because I will be carrying the camera alot I'd say, any good cases anybody recommend to use, something not to large? I love to take Macro shots alot and also like to have a good zoom, it will be my first SLR but I don't mind learning about using functions if they are more advanced. Also, is it a good idea to get another flash to use besides the one either of them have already? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!!!!! I am heading to Guatemala for 20 days on May.9th, so I hope to have a decision made in time to have it sent here to Canada before then!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!
mtpenmaker
08th Apr 2008
capitaltpt
08th Apr 2008
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
08th Apr 2008
jennie11
08th Apr 2008
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
08th Apr 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
08th Apr 2008
CharlesF
09th Apr 2008
jennie11
14th Apr 2008
mtpenmaker
14th Apr 2008
15th Apr 2008
RoadKingMoe
09th Apr 2008
jennie11
09th Apr 2008
RoadKingMoe
09th Apr 2008
parch2k Silver Member
10th Apr 2008
jennie11
21st Apr 2008
CharlesF
21st Apr 2008
jennie11
21st Apr 2008
maxwell1
23rd Apr 2008
zkemeny Administrator
23rd May 2008
chengdu
25th May 2008

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 08-Apr-08 05:48 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-Apr-08 05:55 PM by mtpenmaker

Billings, US

If those are the two cameras you're considering, I would go with the D80. It is only about 4 ounces heavier than the D60 and the AF is not limited to only Nikkor AF-S and Sigma HSM lenses. It has 11 AF points as opposed to 3 for the D60. The price difference with the 18-55mm VR lens is about $140.

If you're not locked into buying one of those two, I would recommend the D40. It's the same size as the D60 and $250 less expensive. You can then spend the money saved on a 70-300mm VR and you'll be pretty well set, except for macro. If you want to do macro, you really need a dedicated macro lens like the Sigma 105, Tamron 90mm or Tokina 100mm. None of those will autofocus on the D40, but those of us who do macro photography usually focus manually anyway.

If you want a zoom for sports and/or wildlife and also want to take macro photos, a small bag just is not going to work. I really like the Lowepro Slingshot bags. They're comfortable to carry and you have quick access to what's inside. I have a Slingshot 200 and can get a lot of stuff in it if I do it just right. The Slingshot 100 might hold the D40 and 3 lenses, but I don't really know.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, FM2n, D40, N90s and not enough glass

capitaltpt Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Tue 08-Apr-08 06:01 PM
439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Dayton, US

Jennie,

I would recommend you get the D40 over the D60 as your first DSLR. For your needs, especially for sports, you're going to want faster lenses (f/2.8 and faster)to freeze the action. Unfortunately the kit lenses for the cameras you mention aren't fast enough for that. I recommend the D40 because it has 95% of what the D60 has and can be found for $200-$300 less. With the extra money you can purchase a faster lens and a flash to get you started.

Although the D80 is a nice camera, from what I've read, it does have a steeper learning curve while a D40/60 is more intuitive right out of the box. One of the big differences here is that the D80 has a focus motor built in, so it will autofocus with older lenses. The D40 required AF-S (focus motor built in the lens) in order to autofocus. Any other lenses will require manual focus. Only you can decide how important autofocus is to you. Personally, All the lenses I purchases for my D40 won't autofocus on it and I still get some good shots.

As a general rule, dedicated flashes are always better than the in-camera flashes. I recommend the SB-600 or SB-800. If light and portable is what you want, the SB-400 is great as well.

As far as a case goes, you might want to check out the Bag forum here: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=158 . Make sure you read the pinned topic on "what bag" to decide what type of bag is right for you

Hope this helps and good luck!

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 08-Apr-08 07:52 PM
9911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Memphis, US

Hi Jennie again. This is a hard one for many my daughter prefers the D40 body style(same as the D60) as she has small hands, me on the other hand love the larger body of the D80 so much I added the battery pack to mine. Even with the battery pack I do not even use a neck strap I have a wrist strap on my D80 and carry it for hours without a problem.

If you break the two cameras down they both have excellent image quality and both are fairly fast. The D80 will have the edge in auto focus operation as it has more AF zones 11 vs 3 and is a tad faster across the board. Plus as mentioned you will be able to use a wider range of lens with the D80 due to it having a AF motor in the body, the D40/60 do not.

The D80 has a much better viewfinder which for me is enough to tip the scales but again my daughter says form and feel is more important to her.

The D60 has a dust removal system that many really like the D80 does not but I have not found dust to be a problem it blows off easily with a rocket blower and I do it once a month. I do not know how effective the system is on the D60 but I'm sure it is comforting to those who do not want to fool with using a blower regularly. Again I have not had any issue with dust on the D80 my opinion some of this is market driven, the other guys have it so Nikon needs to have it to compete.

Overall the D80 is a more advanced camera that for me is easier to use since it has more direct input vs the heavily menu driven D40/60 cameras. Plus the D80 has two command wheels so if you enjoy using your camera in manual like I do it is easier to adjust vs using one command wheel and pressing buttons. Plus the D80's on-board flash system supports the wireless CLS system where you can place a speedlight(SB-600/800) off the camera and the camera's speedlight will trigger the other speedlight, this is a very cool function.

But none of these bells and whistles will mean much if the camera doesn't feel good to you. So my final word is to go to a camera store and try both out and see what feels best. If the D80 feels good to you and you like it I would recommend it. If you prefer the D60 form like my daughter and it just says something to you then I would recommend the D60. Both are excellent cameras and both will provide years of fun and excellent pictures.

Hope this helps. Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

jennie11 Registered since 08th Apr 2008Tue 08-Apr-08 08:51 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

I would like to get a good macro lens eventually, and I have been reading so many reviews and answers about both cameras, seems like more say to get the D-80.... I would like to be able to get more lens in the future for sure, I would like a camera that I can use for many years, I don't mind learning about using the features and would like to get one that I would'nt have to upgrade when I am ready to go further with my photography skills. Price is not a big problem really. What is a rocket blower and is the dust cleaner in the D-60 really that important in considering both cameras???

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 08-Apr-08 09:03 PM
9911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 08-Apr-08 09:04 PM by James23p

Memphis, US

Hi a rocket blower is just a very good bulb air blower that is very effective in cleaning off dust from the sensor/lens and anywhere.

See it a www.giottos.com

I do not find dust a problem and have never asked for a dust removal system, so for me no dust removal is not a selling point.

You will be more likely to outgrow the D60 than the D80 and the D80 is full featured and is not hard to learn. It can be as automatic as you want or as manual as you want. As far as lens you will have a larger choice of lens that will auto-focus with the D80.

But like I said the D60 is an excellent camera go try both out.

Here's a pic of a rocket blower.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 08-Apr-08 10:22 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Hi Jennie,

I think the best piece of advice for you is to go to the store and hold both in your hands, look through the viewfinder, and this will likely answer all remaining questions.

The D80 is equal or superior in most ways, except the D60 might have better low light noise performance and more advanced in-camera image processing. I'd prefer the D80 for all the reasons people listed above, especially AF compatibility with non-AF lenses, the 11 AF sensors, and the big, bright viewfinder. The body is basically the same as a D50 which was the hallmark for small, light DSLRs until the D40/60 line came along.

Handling both the D80 & D60 will probably make this a really easy decision for you. When I was agonizing between D50 & Rebel XT, the "in-store demo" instantly erased any doubts in my mind which way to go.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

CharlesF Registered since 05th Feb 2008Wed 09-Apr-08 02:36 AM
375 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

PA

I spent many hours agonizing over this same decision several months ago, and ultimately decided on the D80. BOY AM I EVER GLAD I DID!

Bottom line, I have already gotten pictures that would have been extremely difficult with the D40-D60.

Get the SB600. I am amazed at how you can get perfect flash exposures without worrying about backgrounds, distances, lens zoom, etc. This opened up a whole new world for me.

Being able to take burst shots of fast moving sports (or kids) is also a blast.

jennie11 Registered since 08th Apr 2008Mon 14-Apr-08 07:33 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

CA

I went to Future shop and handled both camera's. I found the D80 a bit big for me because I have very small hands and with the D80 I found it hard to use the menu buttons, where the 'ok' button is located further down from the 'circle' control buttons. I found the D60 easier and quicker for me to get through the menu options with the 'ok' button being right in the middle of the 'circle' and closer to access for me. It also seemed a bit lighter and easier for me to use. Alot of people are recommending the D80 but, I don't really mind about only being able to use new lens since this is my first slr and I will probably only get new lens anyway. And does the more auto modes make that much of a difference??? Still having a hard time deciding! :?

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Mon 14-Apr-08 08:09 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Billings, US

How the camera feels and how it fits your hands make a huge difference on enjoying using it. If it doesn't feel right for you, you'll probably end up not using it much. I find the D40 fits my hands just fine but so does my F4 which is so comfortable I hardly notice it's there, even though it weighs about 2x the D40. I have a N90s and it just never felt comfortable and consequently it just sits in it's box unused.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, FM2n, D40, N90s and not enough glass

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 15-Apr-08 12:38 AM
#14. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Memphis, US

If the D80 feels uncomfortable and difficult to use the extra AF sensors will not make a difference if you do not want to use the camera. I would say since you like the feel and form of the D60 then get the D60, this little Nikon is more than capable of taking great photos and is the latest in Nikon technology!

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

RoadKingMoe Registered since 01st Apr 2008Wed 09-Apr-08 03:18 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Will a camera purchased outside of and shipped into Canada have a warranty honored in that country? Or is it considered gray market there?

jennie11 Registered since 08th Apr 2008Wed 09-Apr-08 03:57 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

the camera store I was looking at purchasing the camera from says that I can get a 5 year warranty for about 100 dollars and it would be an International one so I could use it in Canada, even though I am purchasing my camera from the US. I don't know much about warranties, so I'm not sure if that is good or not?? I am going to go to the camera shop today and hold and use both cameras to see how they feel!! Thanks everyone so much for the help! It is REALLY helping me through this camera buying process!!

RoadKingMoe Registered since 01st Apr 2008Wed 09-Apr-08 05:59 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Personally, I'd rather have the Nikon warranty that would come with the camera than pay $100 for an extended warranty.

parch2k Silver Member Charter MemberThu 10-Apr-08 09:51 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

Toronto, CA

As a Canadian Nikon owner, I have found Nikon Canada to be very protective of their local Nikon dealers. On their site (nikon.ca), I have seen warnings of dire consequences for bypassing local dealers and how they won't repair or honour warranties in such cases.

I personally have purchased Nikon equipment (used and new) from outside Canada without hesitation -- generally because of better prices.

Why not contact Nikon Canada directly and ask.....

-- Paul

A Toronto Nikonian

jennie11 Registered since 08th Apr 2008Mon 21-Apr-08 06:11 PM
#15. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I decided on the D60! I went and handled both camera's at the shop with different lenses and took some pictures etc. I found the D60 much easier for me to handle because I have small hands and the D60 seemed to be more comfortable and easy for me to use compared to the D80. I liked where the 'ok' button was located on the D60 better and I liked the 'arrow' buttons on the D60 better. I was assured by many that either way I would be getting a great camera, can't wait until it arrives!!!!

CharlesF Registered since 05th Feb 2008Mon 21-Apr-08 10:31 PM
375 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 15

PA

Congrattulations on coming to a decision! I see many great photos on this site taken with a D40 or D60.

However, you said you went to a store and handled both cameras, and then ordered the D40. Was there a reason why you didn't just buy it from your local store? They took the time to help and advise you, and they would give you service in the future. If we don't support local merchants, perhaps we won't have any in the future.

jennie11 Registered since 08th Apr 2008Mon 21-Apr-08 10:42 PM
#17. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 16

CA

It was futureshop I went to to try the cameras out, and I have bought alot of things from them in the past and continue to now, but for this camera I found a much better deal somewhere else, I ordered the D60, and I ordered it from Cameta Camera in the States because I got such a great deal on the things that I wanted.
(I ordered a camera from them before and it was a great experience). I got the Nikon D60, with the 18-55, and 55-200 lens (both VR), 4 GB SD card, extra battery, Nikon SLR camera bag, USB card reader, 2 hoya UV filters, SB-600 speedlight flash, year subscription to photography magazine, free prints, 3 year extra warranty (even covers drops and water damage), and the Nikon Ml-l3 remote control. All for a great price including shipping. If I bought the same stuff here in Canada it would have costed me many hundreds more! I researched and compared the prices greatly before I decided to do this, I am very pleased with my decision!

maxwell1 Registered since 01st Jul 2007Wed 23-Apr-08 11:56 AM
369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

Worcester, US

I found that there is too much of a gap between the older D80, and the D300. The D60 didn't offer enough of an upgrade over my D40. So, I took the plunge for a D300. They do need to fill that gap though. Going up to $1800 to get a magnesium alloy body, and get out of polycarbonate?! Sure, you get a lot more other features. But that is a huge jump if you want to gain better body construction.

Nikon D300
Nikon D40
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor 18-55mm
Nikkor 55-200mm VR-I
Nikkor 18-200mm VR-II
Nikon SB-400 Speedlight
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

zkemeny Administrator Charter MemberFri 23-May-08 08:25 AM
417 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 17

Donaueschingen, UK

Dear jennie11,

I als had the same problems as you had to take a decision and also in april this year. I decided for D60 and I am really happy with it.
I guess the price/quality balance is quite good for D60.

Best regards and enjoy your camera!

Zita Kemeny
Software Developer

Si tacuisses, philosophus mansises

chengdu Registered since 16th Dec 2005Sun 25-May-08 05:31 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Nikon D-60 or D-80??????????? Need help!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 19

Suzhou, CN

How does those compare noisewise on 800 and 1600?

Daniel

Photos
http://picasaweb.google.com/danielwikstrand

Blog
http://thesuzhoublog.blogspot.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27441 Previous topic | Next topic