Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How to remove the battery cover (door) for PhotoDiox Batt holder

31 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008
Wed 02-Apr-08 01:51 AM

Hi All.

I am sort of in a quandry. Perhaps I'm not the first to buy one of these gizmos, and I need some help.

Today, i received a battery/grip from Adorama that I ordered that fits on the bottom of my D40, made by a company called PhotoDioX, that ostensibly replaces the small battery that goes into the D40 grip. It reportedly has twice the AmpHr capacity of the original battery, and seems to make it fit my hands better (as I have large hands).

The problem? It replaces the battery inside the camera with this one built-into the grip; but to get it to all mate together, I am supposed to 'remove the battery cover door from the camera'... HUH?? How do I do that??

Priced about the same as a replacement battery at Batteries-R-Us (etc), I thought, "why not?". Now, I cant even try it as I don't know how to remove the battery door from the camera. This sort of makes my original internal battery useless too unless this door can be re-installed pretty easily once its off...

Anyone ever done this? I feel pretty stupid right now. I don't want to void my warranty or anything dumb... Figured this would be like any other battery pack that attaches to the bottom of any camera...

Help! Maybe I should send it back and just get a regular battery... I sure liked the idea of a 'bigger feeling' camera though.

Here's the link to the little thing:

Any info appreciated. Can't be that hard, but gosh, I don't wanna go ripping into my camera if I don't have to.

Thanks a million, in-advance.