Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27220
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to remove the battery cover (door) for PhotoDiox Ba..." Previous topic | Next topic
pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Wed 02-Apr-08 01:51 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"How to remove the battery cover (door) for PhotoDiox Batt holder"

US

Hi All.

I am sort of in a quandry. Perhaps I'm not the first to buy one of these gizmos, and I need some help.

Today, i received a battery/grip from Adorama that I ordered that fits on the bottom of my D40, made by a company called PhotoDioX, that ostensibly replaces the small battery that goes into the D40 grip. It reportedly has twice the AmpHr capacity of the original battery, and seems to make it fit my hands better (as I have large hands).

The problem? It replaces the battery inside the camera with this one built-into the grip; but to get it to all mate together, I am supposed to 'remove the battery cover door from the camera'... HUH?? How do I do that??

Priced about the same as a replacement battery at Batteries-R-Us (etc), I thought, "why not?". Now, I cant even try it as I don't know how to remove the battery door from the camera. This sort of makes my original internal battery useless too unless this door can be re-installed pretty easily once its off...

Anyone ever done this? I feel pretty stupid right now. I don't want to void my warranty or anything dumb... Figured this would be like any other battery pack that attaches to the bottom of any camera...

Help! Maybe I should send it back and just get a regular battery... I sure liked the idea of a 'bigger feeling' camera though.

Here's the link to the little thing:
http://www.adorama.com/INKMBD40A.html?kbid=64628&searchinfo=el9&item_no=4

Any info appreciated. Can't be that hard, but gosh, I don't wanna go ripping into my camera if I don't have to.

Thanks a million, in-advance.
Wayne

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Wed 02-Apr-08 02:35 AM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to remove the battery cover (door) for PhotoDiox Batt holder"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

It is really easy to remove, and just as easy to replace if needed.

Open the door and take the battery out. With the door open about 40 degrees or so, just easily rotate it, it will pop right off.

I also have a grip on my D40, not due to battery life, but because I wanted the camera to have a little more bulk for my larger hands.

pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Thu 03-Apr-08 03:28 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: How to remove the battery cover (door) for PhotoDiox Batt holder"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you! I didnt find your reply until after talking to the Battery Grip manufacturer today.. She also said it was easy, and that it is made just for that reason, to be replacable... most power accessories for the D40/D50/D60 require this door to be removed.

I wrote a review of that item on Adorama if anyone is interested in reading it.

Thank you for the help again! You guys ROCK.

Wayne

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27220 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.