Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27195
View in linear mode

Subject: "Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files" Previous topic | Next topic
Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Tue 01-Apr-08 02:48 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
Tue 01-Apr-08 02:52 AM by Beatkat

Oxford, US

Just a note here for anyone who's not heard of Faststone, and those of you who know it but may not know this, it's a free image organizing, editing program that is extremely powerful, and has some really nice features like batch renaming and batch resizing, and even though I have been using it for a couple of years, I just realized that it will handle NEF (Nikon RAW) files. It can read and display them, edit them, resize and resample,and resave as other formats including JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc., and resave to a specific file size, for instance 150k which is the Nikonians upload file size limit, and again, it's FREE...there is a good PDF manual, but it's pretty intuitive to use if you're familiar with these type of programs, fast to load and work with, and very capable. http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
even more highly recommended now...

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message Thanks for the tip!
tiderman998
01st Apr 2008
Reply message RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files
Just Alan
01st Apr 2008
HayMower Silver Member
01st Apr 2008
Beatkat Silver Member
02nd Apr 2008
ScottsFJ40 Silver Member
02nd Apr 2008
Beatkat Silver Member
03rd Apr 2008
greshaki
03rd Apr 2008
HayMower Silver Member
03rd Apr 2008
mtpenmaker
03rd Apr 2008

tiderman998 Registered since 09th May 2007Tue 01-Apr-08 08:02 AM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "Thanks for the tip!"
In response to Reply # 0

Piney Point, US

I can use a good NEF editor/viewer.

Earl
D80

Just Alan Registered since 25th Feb 2008Tue 01-Apr-08 05:31 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 03-Apr-08 03:14 AM by Just Alan

US

Thanks for the tip. Just shot my first RAW images yesterday.

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Tue 01-Apr-08 10:32 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>there is a good PDF manual, but it's
>pretty intuitive to use if you're familiar with these type of
>programs, fast to load and work with, and very capable.

That's the key "familiar with these type of programs". I tried Faststone for about a week and finally gave up on it. I've worked with computers since Hollerith cards were the deal, but apparently I am not familiar with programs like Faststone. It was not intuitive to use for me.

I'm using Nikon Transfer and View NX to get my photos onto my hard drive and am using an old version of Photoshop to play with the jpeg versions. I would like to find an intuitive program to use with the RAW NEF files, but haven't yet. Any other recommendations? Capture NX? Photoshop Elements? I don't have a huge quantity of pictures to work with - have only snapped about 900 since the first of the year.

Thanks for any advice.

Hillbilly Harry

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Wed 02-Apr-08 03:15 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 02-Apr-08 03:23 AM by Beatkat

Oxford, US

Hey Harry, I'm interested to know what you didn't like about faststone. It's certainly not as complicated as Photoshop in any release...I think you should give it another go, as it really is a great solution for almost all that one does with images...especially with NEF support. I would be happy to assist as well,via PM, if you needed some direction with it. I never even bothered with the spindly bundled Nikon software...You can just use Windows (I assume your on a Windows machine) to retrieve your images from the camera via cable or card reader, and dump them to a folder on your desktop (or wherever) and then use faststone and Photoshop for almost everything else..
Regards- Greg

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

ScottsFJ40 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2007Wed 02-Apr-08 06:04 AM
275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
In response to Reply # 4

Olympia, US

I have been meaning to reply and thank you for the link. I have been looking for a good full screen viewer that will do .NEF files for some time.

In the past I had always used ACDSee to view JPGs, but the older version I have does not support .NEF and I didn't want to buy a new version that does.

I do all my post in Photoshop, but this is great for just quickly going though what I shot during the day.

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Thu 03-Apr-08 02:53 AM
#6. "RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
In response to Reply # 5

Oxford, US

Thanks for the "thanks", I assume you're getting along alright with it so far, but in Full screen image mode,(which I think is the default) if you move your mouse all the way over to the right, a window with the Exif data pops up, and if you move your mouse all the way to the top, there's a "filmstrip" preview window, and to return to thumbnail mode hit the Esc key or double click in the center of the screen....it's really a very comprehensive and powerful program, but does have a learning curve, and don't forget to go to the "settings" tab and click on "associations" and check all the file types so faststone will be your default image browser.....regards- Greg

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Thu 03-Apr-08 03:29 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
In response to Reply # 6

Perth, AU

Thank you for the info, and for posting it up in this forum where I'd find it! I had a nasty learning curve with CS3 and raw files from my D40x, will try this and see how it goes

D40X
Nikon 18-70mm and 50mm f/1.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manypixors

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Thu 03-Apr-08 11:25 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I think you should give it another go, as it
>really is a great solution for almost all that one does with
>images...especially with NEF support. I would be happy to
>assist as well,via PM, if you needed some direction with it.
>Regards- Greg

I appreciate the offer - but for now, I'm going to try to improve with what I've got. I'm also checking into the local camera club, and hope to make some contacts there that will be helpful.

I'm shooting RAW + basic JPEG, so have some flexibility with post processing - the JPEGs for "quick and dirty" usage, and can still work with the RAW images as time permits.

Harry

D40X
18-55 VR
55-200 VR
AF 50MM 1.8 D

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 03-Apr-08 04:07 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Free Faststone Image editor reads NEF(RAW) files"
In response to Reply # 3

Billings, US

I agree. I messed with it for a couple of weeks and didn't like it all. At about the same time I tested the trial versions of Paint Shop Pro Photo X2, Elements, ACDSee and another whose name I can't remember now. I was not impressed by Faststone at all, nothing more than a slightly souped up version of Picasa as far as I was concerned. I've also used Gimp, which is really not intuitive. I ended up buying Paint Shop Pro and have been extremely pleased at what I got for $80.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, FM2n, D40, N90s and not enough glass

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27195 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.