Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27052
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which is my best bet?" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Wed 26-Mar-08 05:02 PM
1423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which is my best bet?"

US

Hi everyone, My friend has offered me a choice of three lenses. I am to take my pick. Here they are:
Quantaray auto zoom 1:4.5 80-200mm
Kiron f/4 80-200mm macro 1:4
Tamron AF 28-200 1:3.8-5.6

Which would be my best overall choice and why?
Thanks guys. Darlene

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which is my best bet?
pilotguy1050
26th Mar 2008
pilotguy1050
26th Mar 2008
pasknucklehead Silver Member
26th Mar 2008
Covey22 Moderator
26th Mar 2008
pasknucklehead Silver Member
26th Mar 2008

pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Wed 26-Mar-08 05:19 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Which is my best bet?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 26-Mar-08 05:24 PM by pilotguy1050

US

deleted. replaced by next post.

pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Wed 26-Mar-08 05:19 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Which is my best bet?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 26-Mar-08 05:23 PM by pilotguy1050

US

Hi Darlene,

I am far from an expert, but you don't say if this is to be your only lens...

Assuming it is, I would vote for the 28-200, for a couple of reasons. First, it is a wide-ranging zoom, which would be very versatile for lots of applications you might have. Second, based solely on the F-stop numbers at max, it seems to be about the fastest of the three you list.

I am not quite as finicky as many on this site about staying with pure Nikon lenses, but in this case it may not matter. Unless you have a shorter lens in addition to this 'choice' lens, you may want to go with the wide-zoom of the Tamron.

If it is not to be your only lens then the choices are a bit broader and subject to subjective opinions on brand-loyalty.

Good luck!

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Wed 26-Mar-08 06:26 PM
1423 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which is my best bet?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hey, thanks for posting so quickly. Yes, I do have another lens, actually the 18-55 which was my kit lens on my d-40 and then I have a 50mm focal lens. So I do have other choices, but I just hate carrying 9,000 lens around trying to figure out which one I need or even which one would cover all my basis...
Thanks for you answer..I appreciate it..Darlene

Darlene

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 26-Mar-08 09:14 PM
10803 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which is my best bet?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

None of them will autofocus on the D40, but I'm pretty sure you're aware of that. If it were up to me, you've already got the wide to mid range covered with the 18-55 DX and the 50mm for low-light, so it would boil down to the Kiron or the Quantaray. I'd probably pick the Quantaray, as I think it would at least work with the light meter on the camera. I'd be uncertain of that ability on the Kiron.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Wed 26-Mar-08 10:07 PM
#5. "RE: Which is my best bet?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hey thanks, I think that's exactly what I'll do,,my next step will no doubt be a little higher zoom with a nikon with vr. It seems to be the best of the best...(smile)..Thanks..Darlene

Darlene

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #27052 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.