Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26796
View in linear mode

Subject: ""I feel lucky" option" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Mon 17-Mar-08 11:58 PM
1403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""I feel lucky" option"

US

Hi everyone,
My d-40 has many options where you can change the saturation, contrast, and hue and all the other little goodies. Here is my question, as before, I mentioned, in picasa, there is an option that is titled, "I feel Lucky" It does a banged up job of making my ho hum photos look terrific. I wondered how I could take those photos from the get go so I wouldn't need to use that option as much as I do. I went into the picasa forum and asked just what exactly that option does to the photos and I got a reply back that it applies saturation, hue, contrast and all that good stuff to your photo. Sorry this is so long winded, but here is my question. Do any of you preset all these setting to help aid your photos before you even take them? Is there some settings that would help my photos look better? Please advise...Thanks a million..D.C.

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

tiderman998 Registered since 09th May 2007Tue 18-Mar-08 06:09 AM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "I feel lucky" option"
In response to Reply # 0

Piney Point, US

I think you should go into "Optimize" and play with different combos of settings. I set my parameters in "Custom". I think many others do too! Keep in mind these "settings" only apply in P,S,A,M modes.

Earl
D80
D40

timkoo Registered since 09th Oct 2007Wed 19-Mar-08 01:53 PM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: "I feel lucky" option"
In response to Reply # 1

Urbana, US

I also use customize with +1 Saturation +1 Contrast
Keep in mind that these apply to JPEGs. RAWs will only have it applied if you view them in Nikon NX.

D200 w/ MB-D200 | D80 w/ MB-D80 | 10.5 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8D | 17-50 f/2.8 | 85 f/1.4D | 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S | SB-800 | 3x SB-600 w/ LSII
www.timkoo.smugmug.com

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Wed 19-Mar-08 10:26 PM
1403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "I feel lucky" option"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Timkoo,
Thanks for the info, I did the saturation +1, actually on the nikon d-40, it is actually enhanced. I don't see where we have a contrast though. We have hue, is that the same thing do you know? Darlene

Darlene

decklund Registered since 28th Dec 2007Thu 20-Mar-08 10:52 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: "I feel lucky" option"
In response to Reply # 0

Overton, US

I've been working on this exact same thing. Here's whats working better and getting me way closer to nailing the picture in camera and saving me tons of time in post processing?

IIIa color setting (I like this better than messing with saturation and hue enhancements in the custom area)
Exposure-+1.3
Viewfinder on -2 for brightness This shouldn't matter if you're watching the histo. But, if you're in a hurry and just glancing at the screen, (I should just keep it with the histo showing and ignore the rest but I don't always.) I find this setting to be the closest match for true colors and lighting...at least for my camera and on my calibrated screen.

For me the big difference was that exposure. I still bracket and mess it around but I'm way closer when I start at +1.3

Donna

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26796 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.