Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #267
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 or D70?" Previous topic | Next topic
phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 01:59 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 or D70?"

Philadelphia, US

Hi All,

Glad to have these forums back, couldn't believe how much I did miss them, and I haven’t even purchased my Nikon yet!

Anyway, I've been saving to move from film to a DSLR, and I would like some opinions on which to buy (sorry, D200 is too much for me right now.)

If I get the D50, I would upgrade and get the 18-70mm lens. If I get the D70, it comes with that lens and with the rebate it's the same price as the D50 with the upgraded lens.

Now, I know most local retailers are out of D70's, but B&H still has them in stock so I do have a decision to make. I've read all about the differences, I guess my major concern is there really a major difference in the pics that are taken? I can't imagine the sensors are that different. Also, since I’m new to DSLR’s AND I want my wife to be able to use the camera, would the D50 be easier to learn and use, meaning since there’s only one command dial, etc., less options = better results?

Hope this made sense, any help/opinions is greatly appreciated.

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 or D70?
avm247 Moderator
03rd Nov 2005
MINGZNIKONIAN
03rd Nov 2005
SVA
06th Nov 2005
Shred
06th Nov 2005
1bradman
06th Nov 2005
edmun
06th Nov 2005
James23p Moderator
06th Nov 2005
nipprdog
06th Nov 2005
Shred
06th Nov 2005
mark_baker
11th Nov 2005
bhola
12th Nov 2005
MINGZNIKONIAN
12th Nov 2005
Drewhound
13th Nov 2005
edmun
14th Nov 2005
twalstrom Silver Member
15th Nov 2005
Aleks
15th Nov 2005
phillyguy
15th Nov 2005

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 03-Nov-05 04:03 PM
18375 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Jason,

Welcome to Nikonians!

I think the decision should come down to how much control do you want to have? Both are extremely capable. The D50 is the current "entry level model" and the D70s is the "mid-line" model. (Formerly, Nikon's least expensive model. Both can be used point and shoot simple with Program or Auto modes. The D70s will allow for a little more control in advanced settings, something to grow into.

There are several D70 reviews here and one D50 review. Please have a look:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/index.html

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 04:08 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 1

Regina, CA

If the price the same, no doubt get the D70s! The extra function will not affect your learning curve, you can just ignore the extra!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

SVA Registered since 26th Jun 2004Sun 06-Nov-05 09:50 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 0

CH

If the price difference is not essential, go for D70 definitely!

Just one thing - D70 has two command dials (like F80, F100, F5 and F6, as well as D100, D200, D1/D2 series), so that you can easily control both the shutter speed and the aperture value in manual mode simultaneously. D50 has just one command dial (like F75, F65 and F55), designed to be used to control both exposure parameters, one - with an additional button depressed. YUK! The worst thing Nikon had ever done. It drives me crazy. Can be tolerated only if no manual mode is used normally. And - I am sure - prevents a lot of beginners from growing up into the advantages of manual control. I don't know maybe somebody is used to this freaky layout and can live with it...

Vladimir
Russian Nikonian from Switzerland

Vladimir
Russian Nikonian in Switzerland

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 12:34 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 3

FI

I dont see the issue of only one command dial with D50 as a major crippling factor,
because when using Manual mode there is usually time to change aperetury and shutter with just one command dial.
If the situation needs fast changes of apereture or shutter it is better use A or S modes.

D50 has some advantages as well: lower noise, less moire and better dynamic range.
Buy D50 and if it feels too limited for you, buy D200 later and give the D50 to your wife

1bradman Registered since 08th Jul 2004Sun 06-Nov-05 12:58 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 4

London, GB

I agree. I think that D70 sales are going to go through the floor. It is just not that much better than the 50 yet considerably more expensive. If you don't think the 50 is enough for you get the 200.
Matt.

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 06-Nov-05 08:01 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 5

eugene, US

The D70 has several advantages for us with other digital cameras.

It uses Compact flash cards. I was going to buy the D50 as a back up and realized that I would need to buy 3 to 4 cards at $90 each.

Has anybody tested the difference between the D50 and D70 in real life to see if the sensor in the D50 is superior.

I suspect Nikon is using the same sensor to reduce cost. Maybe they have updated the D70 sensor.

ledmun

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Sun 06-Nov-05 08:18 PM
9494 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 6

Memphis, US

The sensor on the D50 is infact different. Several reviews most notable DPReview stated that the out of camera images are better on the D50 than the D70. But some of this may also be the new software.
Plus the AF algorithem on the D50 makes the AF system faster according to Nikon but I am sure they are so close most of us would never notice. The D70 has a larger and faster frame rate 3 fps vs 2.5 on the D50. The D70 also has a higher shutter speed 1/8000 vs 1/4000.

As far as a backup your are very correct that the D70 is better because it uses Compact flash vs the SD cards unless your back up D50 is for another D50.

Now if you are a full manual user the D70 has a better interface with 2 comand wheels but for the majority of users one wheel is okay. Build quality is about the same except the D50 doesn't have an LCD protector but this is not huge since several after market protectors are available, and from what I understand even the stick on type do not leave residue when removed and do no damagae to the camera. A friend of mine had one on his coolpix and when it was removed it cleaned right off and the screen looked like new.

All in all I am surprised Nikon made the D50 so close to the D70s but both are selling well and are excellent cameras.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 10:11 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>the D50 doesn't have an LCD protector but this is not huge
>since several after market protectors are available

could you help us out here;

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID201/39.html

thanx

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 09:14 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 6

FI

I would count SD cards as one of the advantages of the D50.
D50 is especially aimed for those who want to upgrade from digital compat to DSLR
and most digital compact cameras at this moment use SD cards as a storage media.

D70 and D70s share the same sensor but D50 has new and little different sensor,
it's not superior in every way but noise and dynamic range are somewhat better.
D50 stronger antialiaising filter and/or post processing reduces moire but with cost of fine detail.

See Digital Photography Review\'s D50 review and Imaging Resource D50 review for more info.

Slow...Maybe i should type faster or not to watch TV while writing

mark_baker Registered since 09th Nov 2005Fri 11-Nov-05 10:11 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 0

Southampton, GB

I found that getting a D50 body only, and separately getting the 18-70 lens, would come to the same price as the D70 kit, but I found one place doing the D50 with the 18-70 for a really good price, about half way between the D50 and D70 kit prices. At that price, given the differences between the cameras, I couldn't see much point in spending a lot extra on the D70.

If you can't get such a deal, then the decision is more complicated, as the D50 is a newer camera and better in some respects, but I'd probably go for the D70.

bhola Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 12-Nov-05 12:18 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 10

Chandler, US

In terms of value, D50 comes on top - especially comparing to D70S. I have kit with 18-55mm lense. It really depend on your purpose of buying D50 or D70. I am not professional here so D50 is great for my use- Just my $.02-B

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 12-Nov-05 11:15 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 11

Regina, CA

to tell you the truth, if I could make the decision again, I would definitely get the D70s instead of D50...

-better ISO steps
-kit lens is better
-CF card

by all means, D50 still a great camera, i just miss some of the functions D70s offers... The money save can turn into a new speedlight or some good primes!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sun 13-Nov-05 02:20 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 12

I got the D50 with the 18-70 lens which was the best way (I thought) of spending my money. I actually bought the lens several weeks before I got the camera and got a great deal on it

For me the single command wheel isn't an issue, and I am used to shooting in manual, the only thing that would have made me get the D70(s) is if I were wanting to use the extra flash capabilities,

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Mon 14-Nov-05 09:14 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 13

eugene, US

Actually the single command dial is a big advantage if you are shooting with studio flash -- it is too easy to change the f-stop with your finger.

ledmun

twalstrom Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2004Tue 15-Nov-05 01:05 AM
59 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rochester, US

Phillyguy,

You have received some good advice about the relative advantages of the cameras. If the price is the same for the D-70 + 18-70, I would choose D-70.

We own both; the D-50 was bought (body only) for my wife from Really Right Stuff (they needed one to fit their plate). We got a good deal, otherwise I would have bought another D-70 body.

We use the D-50 mostly with the D-70 kit lens or the 24-120 VR lens.

Anyway, we, (my wife and I), really like the D-50. But, the two wheels and Grid and 1/500 flash sync would make me choose D-70 if the price were the same. The out of camera and high ISO pictures are better on the D-50 IMO. Nonetheless, I would choose the D-70 body.

Off topic, this is subject for another thread I will start, but if you buy your wife a nice camera and take her on a photo trip, your NAS problem can become easier :->

Either is a good choice. Pick your poison :->

Best regards,

Tom Walstrom
A Minnesota Nikonian

Regards,
Tom Walstrom
A Minnesota Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Aleks Registered since 29th Oct 2005Tue 15-Nov-05 01:55 AM
132 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 15

Calgary, CA

As you stated above, the D50 does have 1/500 flash sync too...

Anyhow, I've shot with a D70 aswell, and I have to say its noticeably bigger, I like the size and feel of the D50 (and I have big hands, I couldn't hold a Rebel XT).....I bought better lenses, and its great...

D80 | MB-D80 Grip | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Nikkor 85mm f1.8D | Nikkor 18-70mm f 3.5/4.6G ED | Nikkor 70-300mm f 4/5.6G ED | Tamron 90mm f 2.8 Macro | Nikon SB-600

phillyguy Registered since 03rd Nov 2005Tue 15-Nov-05 01:35 PM
221 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D50 or D70?"
In response to Reply # 15

Philadelphia, US

Tom, you’re right - Thanks everyone for the great advice. We're headed to the store next week (gotta love using holidays to extend vacation time.) I think I would prefer the D70 for the simple fact that I would be able to grow into it a little easier, although the comparison is very close. I don't mind the single wheel; my Pentax film camera works the same way, but I'll probably miss DOF, but the better ISO is a good draw (can you tell I’m going back and forth.)

In the end it'll come down to what "she who must be obeyed" says. I'm thinking she'll like the D50 because it is smaller and it'll be easier for her to use.

Now, if I can only convince her we NEED an 18-200 VR lens...

Jason
Philadelphia Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #267 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.