nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26287
View in linear mode

Subject: "How well do you like your D40" Previous topic | Next topic
edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sun 02-Mar-08 03:41 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Poll question: How well do you like your D40"

eugene, US

please comment

Poll result (115 votes)
better than I expected (18 votes)Vote
great (80 votes)Vote
it is a good camera (11 votes)Vote
not as good as I expected (0 votes)Vote
disappointed -- (maybe lens selection) (0 votes)Vote
It is a good camera but I should have bought a better one (6 votes)Vote

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How well do you like your D40
ilgoldstein
02nd Mar 2008
KazooTom
02nd Mar 2008
Mr C
03rd Mar 2008
chewie
03rd Mar 2008
mtpenmaker
04th Mar 2008
glennaa11 Silver Member
04th Mar 2008
greshaki
04th Mar 2008
stefan11488
14th Mar 2008
mtpenmaker
25th Mar 2008
Tuckbooty
05th Mar 2008
wyecross
05th Mar 2008
pilotguy1050
06th Mar 2008
mtpenmaker
06th Mar 2008
Reply message RE: How well do you like your D40?
pilotguy1050
06th Mar 2008
Airtight
06th Mar 2008
glennaa11 Silver Member
07th Mar 2008
poorpaul
07th Mar 2008
pilotguy1050
07th Mar 2008
mtpenmaker
07th Mar 2008
pilotguy1050
07th Mar 2008
vindex1963
09th Mar 2008
AevnsGRandpa
12th Mar 2008
yaris01
09th Mar 2008
pilotguy1050
09th Mar 2008
vindex1963
09th Mar 2008
xanadutoo
12th Mar 2008
Martin Joergensen
13th Mar 2008
Reply message RE: How well do you like your D40It is greta cam
WyntonM
16th Mar 2008
Reply message RE: How well do you like your D40It is greta cam
Scotty B
24th Mar 2008
daddyof2gurlz
18th Apr 2008
snojean
21st Apr 2008
eryoung2k
21st Apr 2008
FE Fan Silver Member
22nd Apr 2008
ejygo
22nd Apr 2008
Poetess Silver Member
30th Apr 2008

ilgoldstein Registered since 03rd Oct 2007Sun 02-Mar-08 04:35 PM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Burbank, US

I voted "great." It's not better than I expected, because after researching cameras I expected it to be great!

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Sun 02-Mar-08 09:59 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I too think the camera is great. It is everything I was expecting. I bought this camera as my entry from film (F3) to the digital world. The only possible draw back is not being able to meter with my old AIS lenses, but they are still usable on the new D40.

Michigan Nikonian

Mr C Registered since 03rd Mar 2008Mon 03-Mar-08 01:53 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I'm disappointed I don't have the depth of field 'preview' button I'm used to with my 35 mm cameras.

chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008Mon 03-Mar-08 04:59 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Petaling Jaya, MY

I love it. I suppose to click on "Better than expected" but accidentally click on the "Great Camera" instead. However, I find it borderline in between "Better than expected" and "Great camera".

I guess it is because I am new to DSLR and it's really good in "teaching" me how to use it and it is a fun camera to have. Not to mentioned that it is value for money.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 04-Mar-08 12:33 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

For me the D40 is a good camera. I regard my F4 as a truly great camera because it does everything I want a camera to do. The D40 lacks a couple of things that are important to me, like mirror lock-up and DOF preview, both of which were available on consumer grade Nikon film cameras not too many years ago.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, D40, N90s and some glass

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 04-Mar-08 01:19 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 5

Arlington, US

I vote for "great". The thing I particularly love is it's small size and weight. Since I primarily use it while traveling those are the two most important factors for me. I have produced a ton of great photos with it.

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Tue 04-Mar-08 02:27 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 6

Perth, AU

'Great'. My only reservation is being limited to AF-S lenses, that sucks. But that's the tradeoff for the size weight and price

D40X
Nikon 18-70mm and 50mm f/1.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manypixors

stefan11488 Registered since 31st Jan 2008Fri 14-Mar-08 02:37 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 5

US

The D40 does have mirror lockup check the manuel.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Tue 25-Mar-08 02:36 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 26

Billings, US

The MLU that the D40 has is only for cleaning the sensor. On my F4, I can look up the mirror and then release the shutter which reduces vibration in the camera.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, FM2n, D40, N90s and not enough glass

Tuckbooty Registered since 19th Nov 2007Wed 05-Mar-08 04:09 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Wilmington, US

I like it, a great camera for those of us venturing into the digital SLR realm for the 1st time. Definitely made me a fan of Nikon and I can see myself once becoming comfortable with this camera moving up the Nikon line.

wyecross Registered since 01st Mar 2008Wed 05-Mar-08 08:07 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 8

Colchester, UK

I've had mine about a month, and I think its great. I can do everything that I need to do with it.I can live with having to manually focus my old AIS lenses, but it's a shame they don't meter.

pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Thu 06-Mar-08 05:51 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

US

HI all.

I am waiting for my D40 to arrive in the mail. I ordered one from Ritz Camera after the huge debacle going on in the Want to Buy section..

Anyway, my Q is this:

I understand that AF-S lenses have to be manually focused. But, if they wont allow the camera to meter, how do you set up exposures? I mean, what method do you use to know how to set the camera?

Thanks.

Wayne

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 06-Mar-08 06:24 PM
#11. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 10

Billings, US

AF-S and AF-I are the only Nikon lenses that will AF on the D40/D40x/D60. Sigma HSM lenses will also AF on those cameras and Tamron just announced a few lenses that will also.

If you meant AI-S lenses, you can correct that they have to be focused manually and the camera won't meter with them. I have one AI-S lens that I use on my D40 quite often and I use a hand held meter, but you can also just guess using the sunny-16 rule and then adjust based on the histogram.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com

pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Thu 06-Mar-08 06:46 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: How well do you like your D40?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Thanks, Gerry. If I decide to use some of my 50mm and/or 28mm faster prime lenses then maybe i need to invest in a handheld lightmeter...

Wayne

Airtight Registered since 06th Mar 2008Thu 06-Mar-08 09:49 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: How well do you like your D40?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I just got my D40 this past weekend so it's too early for me to vote. I joined a photgraphy club here in Dayton, OH "tonight is the first night" so hopefully I'll get a lot of shots in there, "the weather has been to crappy to go out &my kids are tired of posing."

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Fri 07-Mar-08 03:57 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: How well do you like your D40?"

Arlington, US

I believe those lenses should meter fine, you just need to focus manually.

poorpaul Registered since 27th Nov 2007Fri 07-Mar-08 12:10 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: How well do you like your D40?"

Prairie Grove, US

>Thanks, Gerry. If I decide to use some of my 50mm and/or
>28mm faster prime lenses then maybe i need to invest in a
>handheld lightmeter...

I am using non-AIS lenses on a D40. The plan was to purchase a handheld meter, but the store suggested there was no need to do that just by using the sunny 16 rule and then adjusting as needed. That turned out to be correct, and I don't see a meter purchase anytime soon.

pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Fri 07-Mar-08 01:18 PM
#16. "RE: How well do you like your D40?"
In response to Reply # 15
Fri 07-Mar-08 05:22 PM by pilotguy1050

US

Fellow Nikonians,

I love to learn stuff. In all my years of photography (ok, I'm just an amateur) I have never heard of the "Sunny-16" rule. Anyone care to explain it, and how that relates to shutter speed as well? If sunny = f16, what is the corresponding shutter speed?

Thanks in advance.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 07-Mar-08 04:46 PM
#17. "RE: How well do you like your D40?"
In response to Reply # 16
Fri 07-Mar-08 04:48 PM by mtpenmaker

Billings, US

The shutter speed is 1/ISO, so if you have the camera set for ISO 200 the shutter speed would be 1/200, but 1/250 will work. Here's a link to a full explanation.
http://www.camerareview.com/templates/sunny16.cfm

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com

pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Fri 07-Mar-08 05:39 PM
#18. "RE: How well do you like your D40?"
In response to Reply # 17

US

this is so darned cool! I had never read that before. EXCELLENT LINK.... This is a GREAT site!.

Wayne

p.s. Still waiting for my D40, but I bought it from a reputable dealer, so I know its coming.

vindex1963 Registered since 27th Jan 2008Sun 09-Mar-08 10:07 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: How well do you like your D40"

Phoenix, US

>I understand that AF-S lenses have to be manually focused.

I think the AF-S are the auto focus with the motor in the lens for our D40 cameras.

AevnsGRandpa Registered since 30th Jan 2008Wed 12-Mar-08 06:12 PM
#24. "RE: How well do you like your D40"

US

Being that the D40 is my first D-SLR, moving from a Panasonic DMC-15, I think it is great. Not better than I thought because I did a TON of research before getting it so I knoew what it would and would not do.

Now if the weather would just get a little warmer so I can get outside and start shooting.

Jeff

Jeff Lovell
Created Design Video

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Sun 09-Mar-08 06:05 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I love my D40, but I wish I could've bought a few teps up like an 80. I considered the x but could not justify the extra money for the improvements. Grouped with the 18-55 and the 55-200 it's perfect for everything from landscapes to wildlife. It's easy to use, light weight, very manageble, and takes great shots.

JZP

http://yaris01.deviantart.com

pilotguy1050 Registered since 18th Feb 2008Sun 09-Mar-08 08:26 PM
#20. "RE: How well do you like your D40?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 09-Mar-08 11:29 PM by pilotguy1050

US

My D40 just showed up from Ritz, with both the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses.. So far I could not be happier. I have a long way to go, of course, but this is going to be FUN!

(note: I haven't voted yet; i'll do that after I get a few dozen trigger presses thru it. )

Wayne

vindex1963 Registered since 27th Jan 2008Sun 09-Mar-08 10:05 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Great.
I've had so much fun with this thing.

xanadutoo Registered since 18th Feb 2008Wed 12-Mar-08 06:17 AM
#23. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

San Francisco, US

I think the D40 is great. It is my first DSLR (I have a point and shoot and I used to shoot with film SLR).

The D40 has gotten me back into photography in a big way after a years-long hiatus. I bought a Nikkor 18-200 VR lens and that makes it all but perfect.

Now, if I could find a photography club here in San Francisco...

ben

Martin Joergensen Registered since 16th Sep 2007Thu 13-Mar-08 08:30 AM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Copenhagen, DK

A lot better than I expected, actually. I have a D200, which is my main camera, and lots of great glass - much of it AF-S.

I bought the D40 used with a kit lens as a "girlfriend-camera", and expected it to just lie around while I shot my D200.

But armed with good glass (I use my Sigma 10-20 mainly, but also my 17-55 f2.8 and even my 70-200 f2.8 VR) this little camera excels. The wide zoom on the small body makes for a perfect combination, and I have shot with it a lot.

I still love my D200 and I do miss some facilities, more advanced AF and a bit of speed, but my average images with the D40 are just great.

As I said: I like it a lot better than I expected I would.

Martin

Martin Joergensen, Copenhagen, Denmark

Host of the Nikonians podcast "On Location with Martin Joergensen"
http://podcasts.nikonians.org/on_location.html

And now blogger on the Nikonians
http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_joergensen/

WyntonM Registered since 16th Mar 2008Sun 16-Mar-08 06:48 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: How well do you like your D40It is greta cam"
In response to Reply # 0

UK

The D40 is "great"camera. A joy to behold.

Scotty B Registered since 13th Mar 2008Mon 24-Mar-08 10:11 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: How well do you like your D40It is greta cam"
In response to Reply # 27

UK

The D40 is a brilliant little camera. It easily hold it's own against the bigger D80 and D200 regarding image quality.

When coupled with nice glass like the 105mmVR it's outstanding.

It's not better than I expected and the lack of exposure bracketing and DOF preview is slightly annoying but I still love it.

Some say it's only 6mp and can't compete against 10mp cameras, but I've printed at 30x20inch and the quality is brilliant from 3ft back.

I have no desire to upgrade just yet although the D300 is very tempting.

daddyof2gurlz Registered since 11th Apr 2008Fri 18-Apr-08 07:36 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Jersey Shore, US

I voted great. Got mine for my birthda a couple of weeks ago and haven't really "tested" the waters yet, using the manual focus features. Taking the camera to Disney in 9 days. hope to get som good shots there!

snojean Registered since 08th Sep 2007Mon 21-Apr-08 02:06 AM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I too, feel the D40 is between great and better than expected. I love my D40, but it is my first SLR and I am still such a newbie. I am very satisfied with it and know eventually when I get more experienced, I'll go bigger, but for now I am learning and loving it!
snojean

eryoung2k Registered since 19th Dec 2007Mon 21-Apr-08 03:01 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston, US

Well I voted better than expected, I have the D40X and freaking love it!! It can't take a bad picture.

Take care
Eddie

FE Fan Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2004Tue 22-Apr-08 03:33 AM
1804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

Silver Spring, US

I had to vote "Better Than Expected." This is a terrific camera! I find its simplicity and small size to be an ideal transition from MF film gear. I initially thought I would mainly use it for more casual snapshot types of shooting. I have quickly found it to be a pleasure for all kinds of "serious" shooting. It works well for my kind of photography and far exceeds my expectations. It's really more fun than someone should be allowed to have for $500 and a great transition to digital.

Bart
D300s D40 F3HP FE FM2n Nikkormat FTN

Everything is a subject. Every subject has a rhythm. To feel it is the raison d'être.
The photograph is a fixed moment of such a raison d'être, which lives on in itself.
- Andre Kertesz

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ejygo Registered since 21st Mar 2008Tue 22-Apr-08 07:12 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 33

Dubai, AE

it is my first ever Dslr from point&shoot cameras. i like the kit lens a lot, i voted great. the size is just right, battery life is good did a lot of night shot with 18-55.

Edwin

Poetess Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2008Wed 30-Apr-08 05:18 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: How well do you like your D40"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I voted "great". I bought D40 back in October and have been taking random shots here and there since then. I recently read up on quite a bit of literature to ensure that I could use it well.

I still get a little frustrated, as a relative Newbie to the SLR world - the autofocus is a little annoying at times in low light, but I *am* learning to work with it.

The newfound hobby seems to be a lot of trial and error - but that's okay. I learn bits and pieces from books, the internet and this website.

"Happiness cannot be found in examining unhappiness." ~ Me

View My Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26287 Previous topic | Next topic