Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26258
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)" Previous topic | Next topic
ryan168 Registered since 29th Feb 2008Fri 29-Feb-08 10:30 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"

US

Hello fellow nikonians. I am a nood photography, and Im planning to buy a D40X and i dont know what kind of lense's I need. Mostly Ill be shooting indoors, cars and watch' (close-up). so I hope you guys could help me out. Thank you.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)
abaron
29th Feb 2008
ryan168
01st Mar 2008
mtpenmaker
01st Mar 2008
gwdave
01st Mar 2008
mtpenmaker
01st Mar 2008
ryan168
01st Mar 2008
edmun
01st Mar 2008
jakbauerctu
02nd Mar 2008
mtpenmaker
01st Mar 2008
Mike Hawthorne
02nd Mar 2008
ryan168
02nd Mar 2008
spencer17
02nd Mar 2008

abaron Registered since 18th Jul 2007Fri 29-Feb-08 11:37 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver, CA

I'd suggest starting with the kit lens. Use the camera and form some opinions about your subject matter and your style of photography before you plunk big bucks down on a different lens.

Once you're ready to explore that I suggest you ask the question in the Lens Forum, there people will be able to provide much more info.

André Baron
A Vancouver Nikonian

ryan168 Registered since 29th Feb 2008Sat 01-Mar-08 02:15 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you for your advic

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Sat 01-Mar-08 03:57 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 1

Billings, US

I'll second Andre's recommendation. Really learn the 18-55mm kit lens, what you like about it and what you don't like about it. Once you've taken a few hundred images with it, you'll have a much better idea of it's shortcomings for what you want to photograph.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com
F4, D40, N90s and some glass

gwdave Registered since 25th Aug 2007Sat 01-Mar-08 04:26 AM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I can tell you that the kit lens with the 40X is a very good lens. Now if you want closeup then you can buy a Koken filter system. The "A" size will fit the kit lens, then a 52mm ring for the Koken then pick up a +3 diopter (closeup) this will give you with the 18-55 a closeup range of around 1 to 2 inches. I use this system a lot, and it is not expensive to buy in the "A" size. I have the fog, and a couple of others that I use a lot. I find the fog will give me a better shot sometimes in a wooded area that has some nice appeal however just needs a bit of zing, the fog will do it....... Just remember, and to me this is a biggey set your lens to aperture priority then stop it down as far as you can get it. When you get that close you need a tripod because you may end up with a slow shutter speed to get the image you want.
Good Luck....

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Sat 01-Mar-08 05:30 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 4

Billings, US

>set your lens to aperture priority then stop it down as far as you can
>get it.

This is not a good recommendation for a consumer lens. The 18-55mm lens is a decent lens, but it isn't pro glass. It will get much better images from about f/5.6 to f/11, maybe f/16. IQ will decrease above f/16. I have some pro glass and I don't even use it stopped all the way down, wide open yes, but not the other way.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com

ryan168 Registered since 29th Feb 2008Sat 01-Mar-08 07:17 AM
#6. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thank you for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. Where do you guys buy your cameras? Where can I find a decent dealer? And a good deal. I found this online store, http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=901958
is this decent? Have you guys bought from this company?

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Sat 01-Mar-08 11:59 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 01-Mar-08 12:01 PM by edmun

eugene, US

NO comment

do a check on them at any store rating service.

Bestbuy, B&H photo are good pricing guides.

A real store has about 13% margin with a camera. Any body discounting more than 5% bellow list is loosing money.

ledmun

jakbauerctu Registered since 24th Apr 2007Sun 02-Mar-08 09:43 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

adorama is also very good. i've found their prives to be lower than B&H every so often.

Daniel
My Gallery

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Sat 01-Mar-08 06:33 PM
#8. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 6

Billings, US

>Thank you for all your inputs, I really appreciate it. Where
>do you guys buy your cameras? Where can I find a decent
>dealer? And a good deal. I found this online store,
>http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=901958
>is this decent? Have you guys bought from this company?

Go here, http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=139&topic_id=2055&mesg_id=2055&page= and follow the link to reseller ratings. I think you will quickly see that you don't want to do business with them.

Gerry Rhoades
Montana Pens
www.montanapens.com

Mike Hawthorne Registered since 08th Jun 2006Sun 02-Mar-08 04:35 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Hi

Don't even go close to Best Price Camera it is a notorious rip off joint.
If the price seems to good to be true it is.

Try some place like Beach Camera or another reputable dealer.
Even Amazon.com sells them at a reasonable price and they back up everything they sell.

What I did was to find the best price online from a reputable dealer and then print out their page and take it to a local dealer, in my case Circuit City.

I said if they would meet the price I would buy the camera from them and not online.
They said fine and I saved the shipping charges as well.

Mike

ryan168 Registered since 29th Feb 2008Sun 02-Mar-08 04:41 AM
#10. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thank you for your advice Mike. Ill probably do that.

spencer17 Registered since 22nd Jan 2008Sun 02-Mar-08 07:33 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which lens is right for me? Im a noob :)"
In response to Reply # 10

UK

Hi Ryan,
don't forget a solid tripod. You will need a good one for your kind of photography. Don't go for the bargain you will need a Giottos, Gitzo or Manfrotto with a good Ballhead and cameraplate.
The kit lense will do for the beginning. I'm sure not long because we always want more and better

Karl

Nikonian Scottish Highlands
My photos on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22205136@N03/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26258 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.