nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26226
View in linear mode

Subject: "Largest Photo on D40?" Previous topic | Next topic
mdholland Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Feb 2008Thu 28-Feb-08 11:47 PM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Largest Photo on D40?"

Phoenix, US

What is the largest photo that can be printed with a D40?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 29-Feb-08 12:25 AM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Largest Photo on D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

That's going to depend on a variety of things:

- the capture format (raw, jpeg fine, jpeg basic, etc)
- how much you crop
- your quality standards
- your technique while capturing the image
- the glass used
- the subject
- the ISO
- your techniques for upsizing and otherwise preparing the image for printing
- the intended method of display

I've made good-quality 16x20's from slight crops from the 4mp D2h captured in raw mode. The D40 has a 6mp output, so it seems reasonable to expect that you can make a 16x20 or 20x24 or thereabouts from a D40 - at least, if your technique is equal to mine.

With great glass, great technique and probably more skill than I have, an even bigger print might be feasible.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Fri 29-Feb-08 12:44 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Largest Photo on D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If it is any help, I have printed to 13 x 19 with no problem at all. In fact I have one severely cropped photo I printed at 13 x 19 and it looks beautiful. It is a picture of a cat's face and you can count each hair. This was with the D40 and 55-200 kit lens (non VR). Unless you are printing posters you should get all you need from the D40.

Michigan Nikonian

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Fri 29-Feb-08 02:30 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Largest Photo on D40?"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

One of my friends using a 3 mega pixel Olympus had his image of a U of Oregon athlete blown up to bill board size.

ledmun

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 29-Feb-08 02:32 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Largest Photo on D40?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

The general rule for inkjet & dye sub printing is that the best quality is at 300ppi, very good quality can be gotten down to 180ppi, and you don't want to go below 120ppi.

What that means to a D40 picture at 3008x2000 pixels:
3008 x2000px
300ppi 10.03" x6.67"
180ppi 16.71" x11.11"
120ppi 25.07" x16.67"

So, the theoretical outside limit for good quality is around 24"x16". Like was said above, a lot depends, on the initial sharpness of your photo, the upsizing method, your quality requirements, and at what distance your photo will be viewed.

In practical terms, I've made many 12x18" & 13x19" prints from my D50 (same resolution as D40) and they stand up to nose-pressing on the glass. I've done one 44"x32" printed on canvas which is spectacular, as long as you stand back about 4-8 feet, which is the intended viewing distance.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26226 Previous topic | Next topic