Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26143
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?" Previous topic | Next topic
Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Tue 26-Feb-08 07:51 PM
975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"

Seal Beach, US

I need a camera for my wife and dollars are a bit tight. There are three options we have come up with: (1) a D40 + 18-135mm Nikkor, (2) a D40x and the same lens, and (3) a Canon G9.

My guess is that she would be best off with a D40 with an Nikkor 18-135mm, with both items used or demos, so the total cost would be maybe $550. If she occasionally needs more width or length, she can borrow my Nikkor 12-24mm or 70-300VR. As my Micro Nikkor 60mm won't work automatically on a D40, I would loan her a 5T or 6T Nikon close-up lens on a 67mm-62mm adaptor for the occasional flower photo using the 18-135mm.

However, marketing being what it is, I wonder what benefit the extra pixels on the D40x would bring, if any. I have seen some reviews that suggest that the (sensor) speed of the original D40 is better than that of the D40x and that the additional pixels in the D40x don't bring any benefit until an enlargement past 16x20 is desired. True?

My wife's current inclination is to go for Canon's G9 uber P&S, which shoots RAW, offers VR, has a decent zoom that, with a $150 wide-angle adapter, gives the same range of the 18-135mm. The G9 is small--especially in depth--and weighs (without the wide-angle adapter) 12 oz. This model camera is new and costs about $450. Although it offers 12MP, its sensor is half the dimension (one-fourth the area) of the one on the D40. (It's just 1/1.7").

Comments?

Adrian

Photography, though not an art form in itself, has the peculiar capacity to turn all of its subjects into works of art. Susan Sontag, On Photography, p. 149. 1977.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?
Martin Joergensen
26th Feb 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
26th Feb 2008
dwig
26th Feb 2008
greshaki
27th Feb 2008
Cookies35 Silver Member
27th Feb 2008
Cookies35 Silver Member
27th Feb 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
27th Feb 2008
abaron
27th Feb 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
27th Feb 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography
27th Feb 2008
abaron
27th Feb 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
27th Feb 2008
dwig
28th Feb 2008
SleeplessInKL
28th Feb 2008
JoelT
25th Jun 2008
yaris01
28th Feb 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
29th Feb 2008
yaris01
29th Feb 2008
lambert13
17th Jun 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
17th Jun 2008
Beatkat Silver Member
19th Jun 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
19th Jun 2008
doctorcosmo
20th Jun 2008
tivballer
22nd Jun 2008
JinnQG
22nd Jun 2008
Crabby Guy Silver Member
22nd Jun 2008
gwdave
23rd Jun 2008
TDevil
26th Jun 2008

Martin Joergensen Registered since 16th Sep 2007Tue 26-Feb-08 09:17 PM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 0

Copenhagen, DK

Adrian,

I recently acted on behalf of my wife, and bought a used D40 with an 18-55mm kit lens. She has used several different Canon (Ixus and PowerShots), but also borrowed my previous DSLR - an Minolta 7D.

She loves the compacts for being compact, but hates the limits they set - slow reactions, limited flash, limited focal lengths. The Minolta with a 70-210 has been her favorite. She downright detests my D200 with grip and large lenses.

But now she has handled the D40, and I think I can say "love at first sight". It offers all the benefits of the larger DSLR's, but is light and compact, and still responsive and flexible. I have all the lenses she'd want and flashes, but honestly I think she will prefer the small and lightweight kit lens and the built-in flash.
She's a JPG-shooter and uses 90% of her keepers for web publishing and a few for print up to A4/Letter. I think the D40 is all the camera she needs and wants. Come to think of it, I have been using the D40 quite a lot since I got it. Great little machine!

I know a G9 will be better than the smaller Canon compacts and that a D40x will be better than the D40, but I don't think she'd ever notice. She simply doesn't need the extra pixels.

I have no problems recommending the D40 as a camera that gives A LOT of camera for the money. And it's easy to find a used D40 at a bargain price.

Martin

Martin Joergensen, Copenhagen, Denmark

Host of the Nikonians podcast "On Location with Martin Joergensen"
http://podcasts.nikonians.org/on_location.html

And now blogger on the Nikonians
http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_joergensen/

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 26-Feb-08 09:55 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 26-Feb-08 10:02 PM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

Tough question. At first it seems a no-brainer to keep her in the Nikon SLR family so you two can share lenses. OTOH if my wife wanted a compact and I gave her an SLR, I think I'd have a difficult time convincing her that carrying a much larger, heavier camera is worth it because of feature X, Y, or Z. If what she really wants/requires is something that fits in her pocket or purse, then that's one perhaps very important feature where the D40 falls way short and shouldn't be overlooked.

I guess the question comes down to what's more important to her - SLR speed or compact compact-ness.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Tue 26-Feb-08 11:30 PM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 2

Key West, US

>...
>I guess the question comes down to what's more important to
>her - SLR speed or compact compact-ness.

Seconded.

I'm currently having to deal with a very similar decision. I've been using a CP8400 (8mp, 24-85 equiv, RAW capable compact). Its performed extremely well (until this weekend) and my images (up to 13x19 at least) easily challenge the results I see from 6-12mp DSLRs. The CP8400 is now broken and going off to Nikon for possible service. Depending on the service cost, a D40/18-55 (~$500USD) or D60/18-55VR (~$750USD) are the primary replacements I'm considering, although I haven't ruled out the G9. It seems to boil down to speed, size, and price.

The DSLRs are far more responsive than a compact. The CP8400 has a significant delay between pix when shooting RAW. Its not bad at all when shooting if, and only if, you are skilled at handling a camera. From what I've read, the G9 may be slightly better in this respect, but still has no where near the buffer speed and size of a DSLR.

Noise differences are difficult to compare. Using matched ISO is simple but wrong for this comparison. The CP8400 has an f/2.8-4.9 lens. It averages a stop faster than the common zoom on a D40/40x/60. Also, lacking a reflex mirror, vibration is substantially lower. Noise comparisions should be made with at least one stop higher ISOs on the DSLRs that have VR lenses and at least 2 stops otherwise. The same goes for comparisons using the G9 instead of the CP8400, plus the G9 has VR.

I've not decided, and won't until I get the price for the repair (shutter/iris has failed, possilbly from some impact, leading to gross overexposure). The repair will certainly be the least expensive and I'd miss the 24mm equv. coverage. If the repair is high, I may sacrifice the $'s and the WA and go back to an SLR, something I abandonded when I stopped shooting film. Small is important to the way I shoot these days, but the D40/60 chassis w/ a compact zoom is a massive improvement over my two body (F3 for color & F for B&W) plus 5 lens kit.

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Wed 27-Feb-08 12:19 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 3

Perth, AU

If your wife doesnt mind noise in pictures, go the G9. Otherwise D40 and, if you can swing it the new kit lens with VR. The D40X only comes into its own when you want to severely crop something or print LARGE, otherwise no real difference

D40X
Nikon 18-70mm and 50mm f/1.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/manypixors

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Wed 27-Feb-08 01:27 AM
1964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 4

NL

Get her the D40, hands down.

You ONLY need the extra pixels if you're going to be throwing half of them away and still need lots of pixels left to make a nice picture. This happens when

(a) you post-process the thing to death, which it doesn't sound like she'll be doing, or

(b) you crop the thing to death, which happens more often than you'd think if she starts making scrapbooks, collages, instant-slideshows, greeting cards, t-shirts, or any of the other one-click wonders you can do with Photoshop Elements. Then it's amazing how often a third of a photograph, that you took for some other reason altogether, ends up being exactly what you need for your project.

As for the point-n-shoot, there's no contest. It isn't the number of pixels that matters at all (unless you're going to be discarding most of them), it's the quality of the pixels that matters. And the quality of the pixels on a 12MB P&S won't hold a candle to even three MB worth of D40 pixels. Its night and day.

Btw, I've got the same issue reversed: had to convince my husband to try out a dSLR, and promised him if he didn't like it we'd sell it on eBay.

We got him the D40x (I know, I know, do as I say, not as I do, but he's a guy, and there was this p-ssing contest going on in the pixel department of the camera store) with an 18-55mm. Now he won't touch anything else. NOTHING. I lend him my other lenses, and he gives them back to me in five minutes (too heavy). I've BOUGHT him his own 18-135mm so he could at least zoom in decently, and he likes it a lot ... as long as I'm the one carrying the camera gear. And even then, after half an hour, he wants his 18-55mm back.

So why not try her out on a D40 (skip the D40x altogether; but if you've got cash to spare, get a D60, no two ways about it; precisely the same camera body but with all its insides upgraded) and the new 18-55mm VR? I'll bet she'd be a very happy camper indeed. And if she isn't, you can sell the 18-55mm VR and buy her an 18-xyz with more reach, depending on which of your lenses she ends up borrowing most.

Good luck!!!

-- LaDonna

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Wed 27-Feb-08 01:34 AM
1964 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 5

NL

PS: Regardless of whether she gets a D40/x or a D60, I'd have her check out the new Digitutor for the D60. It's the same camera body, so most everything works the same on all three cameras; it's just that the D60 has more features.

Digitutor for the D60
Give it plenty of time to load, and you'll see three tabs, one for "Before Shooting," one for "Taking Pictures," and a third for "After Shooting."

Anyway, it's (FINALLY!!!) a genuine Digitutor-for-Beginners, starting with how to put attach the lens to the camera, and where the battery goes. Potentially a real marriage-saver ... Wish they'd had it a year ago ...

-- LaDonna

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Wed 27-Feb-08 03:29 AM
975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 6

Seal Beach, US

I appreciate the comments. Most of you, however, haven't given the G9 credit for its VR, which is out of our price range on the D40 combination right now, whether the Nikkor 16-85mm or 18-200mm (both are $650+ street price). There is also LiveView on the G9 (or whatever it's called on a P&S).

This is largely a matter of what my wife wants to carry around with her--and what she will carry around, vs. leaving at home, and what's in the budget. She is used to a Canon Elf, a 6 oz. creation that reminds me of the 35mm Olympus Stylus I carried in my pocket for a couple of years. Moving even to the larger 12 oz. G9 is apparently somewhat of a nuisance to carry everywhere, in her opinion.

Adrian

Photography, though not an art form in itself, has the peculiar capacity to turn all of its subjects into works of art. Susan Sontag, On Photography, p. 149. 1977.

abaron Registered since 18th Jul 2007Wed 27-Feb-08 06:57 AM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 7

Vancouver, CA

You certainly don't have to look at the big (in dollar) lenses to get VR on the D40, you can get a 55-200 VR for around $200. I've yet to be convinced with regards to VR on shorter focal length lenses; VR compensates only for your movement at lower shutter speeds, it doesn't help with outside movement. Anytime the light is low enough for me to induce blur on a wide lens then either I go tripod since I'm shooting static objects or flash to shoot moving subjects. I've even played with a f/1.8 lens only to find that the real solution to shooting dimly lit movement is a flash.

LiveView is useful on point and shoots because they usually don't have a great viewfinder, the G9 looks to have an optical viewfinder, and isnce it's not through the lens I doubt it reflects changes made to zoom settings and such.

Personally I find a larger camera easier to hold and control since I can actually grip the thing somewhere.

Now, all that aside, you've raised the ultimate point: what is your wife going to use? How does she use her camera? Does she go out with it to take pictures or just leave it in her purse to snap a shot of interesting things? The D40, compared to other SLRs, is tiny, I put the D40+18-70 lens in my coat pocket the other day (Ok so my pockets are largish too), I don't think I could do that with any of the other cameras I've handled recently. Lastly, and this may be blasphemy in the forum, but does she need the "power" of an SLR camera? Is she going to want to swap lenses, choose aperture, choose shutter speed, play with white balance and all of that?

Guess I haven't really answered any questions, just asked more, sorry.

André Baron
A Vancouver Nikonian

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Wed 27-Feb-08 05:31 PM
#9. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 8

Seal Beach, US

Abaron,

Thanks for the comments. The answer to your last question is that she is not going to use the power of an SLR in the sense of most of the things you mentioned. (She happily leaves such shots for me if we are together.) There is much concern on her part that a DSLR will be intimidating, relatively large and heavy with the lens mounted, and that she will just leave it at home or in the hotel room, whereas her Canon Elf gets taken almost everywhere. (This is her behavior with her Nikon Monarch binoculars, i.e., not take them.) I considered the 18-135mm on the D40 because she won't change lenses and doesn't want to depend on me to do so. Thus my "bright idea" of having her remove the lens and cap it and the camera body so that storage is easier when needed is kaput.

Although there are a few pancake 50mm lenses around, I don't know of any flat or folding zoom that will fit on a Nikon SLR.

As an old Leica shooter, I have much more faith in rangefinder cameras than the vast majority of people here. Even though few P&S shooters use it any longer, decent cameras of this class have corrections for zoom settings and parallex in their optical view systems, with the likely exception of macro shots. A three-in. LCD display takes care of those. The G9 is a $500 camera, after all.

With that said, I have concerns about a small sensor overpacked with pixels for marketing purposes and a large amount of time for the Canon to "wake up" and the full second between shots.

Adrian

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 27-Feb-08 05:51 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 9

Livermore, CA, US

If the speed of the compact is a concern, there are even smaller DSLRs than the D40, the Olympus e-410 for example. P&S pixel density concerns still apply with a 2x crop sensor, it's noisy and not on the IQ or AF level with a D40, but it is very, very small, and you get SLR shutter response with the option for live view as well.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

abaron Registered since 18th Jul 2007Wed 27-Feb-08 05:51 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 9

Vancouver, CA

Adrian

Sounds like you may be in somewhat the same position I am. My wife fully supported me getting the D40, however I even though I had it with me I couldn't really get her to use it, even when we were on our honeymoon. Turns out I'm much more of a photography buff then she is. She'd likely use a small compact one from time to time but the D40 would be too much for her.

From what I hear you saying it sounds like your wife is much the same way, though probably will take more pictures then mine did (she had her own camera on the honeymoon but only took maybe 50 photos on the whole 3 week trip, she'd usually just ask me to take a picture of something). I'd not worry to much about the overpacked sensor; those cameras still yield good pictures, even if not on par with the D40 (but does this really count?)

As for the "wake up" time between shots, see about getting your wife to try one out in the store and saying how she likes it. My brother just purchased a Canon P&S and he quite likes it, I made sure he went and tried them out before, however, to make sure he could live with it's limitations.

André Baron
A Vancouver Nikonian

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Wed 27-Feb-08 09:11 PM
#12. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 11

Seal Beach, US

About every month or so, there is someone in the "I want to sell" forum saying he (it's always a male) is either getting out of photography or buying a high-end P&S camera because taking photos is either much harder than he thought it would be or his equipment is too heavy to be part of another activity, e.g., hiking. This individual always seems to offer a high-end Nikon body (lately a D300 or D3) with two or three very good Nikkor lenses and some expensive accessories. The bodies have at most a couple of thousand clicks. My hunch is that such a mistake ends up costing at least a thou' before all is over. Those of us on a budget work pretty hard not to make such an error.

I showed my wife a D40 with whatever the usual lens is in an outing we just took to Costco. I have never seen her as negative about a consumer product. It's just far, far too big with as mounted lens and has too many buttons and dials for her.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. It appears the subject is closed with her!

Adrian

dwig Registered since 30th May 2004Thu 28-Feb-08 02:11 AM
2215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 12

Key West, US

>...It's just far, far too big
>with as mounted lens and has too many buttons and dials for
>her. ...

Even a D3 won't come close to taking as good a picture as a $100 P&S, much less a G9, if the user considers the D3 too big/heavy and leaves it in the closet at home.

-----
dwig
nikonian in paradise
-----
use: cp8400, cp990, cp950
retired: F,ELW, 21mm, 45 f/2.8 GN
used to own: S2, SP, F2, F3, 20mm f/3.5, 35mm f/1.4, 35mm f/2.8, 43-86 f/3.5, 50mm f/2, 50 f/1.4 (for S2/SP), 55mm f/3.5 Micro, 105mm f/2.5, 105mm f/4 Micro, 300mm f/4.5, 180mm f/4.5 (for 4x5)

SleeplessInKL Registered since 18th Jul 2007Thu 28-Feb-08 05:24 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 12

Kuala Lumpur, MY

If she wants something small to tuck into any purse/bag that she has, then there's no point pursuing the subject. Although with the D40's weight and size, and the availability of bags like Jill-E (www.jill-e.com), she can still bring her D40 around everywhere.

You didn't mention if you have any kids or not. If you have, then you can tell her that a DSLR camera will give her the speed that no point-and-shoot can to catch all of their action. Show her a demo of the burst mode. Show her how fast the camera starts up. Tell her she can always start with "Auto" mode and auto focus, so she doesn't have to worry about all the knobs and buttons. Once she finds out what the D40(x) can do, at some point, she will want to find out what else she can do with it.

Good luck!

Mimi

>I showed my wife a D40 with whatever the usual lens is in an
>outing we just took to Costco. I have never seen her as
>negative about a consumer product. It's just far, far too big
>with as mounted lens and has too many buttons and dials for
>her.
>
>Thanks very much for the suggestions. It appears the subject
>is closed with her!

Mimi
www.sleeplessinkl.com

JoelT Basic MemberWed 25-Jun-08 08:15 PM
281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 25-Jun-08 08:15 PM by JoelT

US

>If your wife doesnt mind noise in pictures, go the G9.

I second this and can't stress this enough. When I was in the market for a point&shoot, I already had a D50 and Fuji S3. I wanted something compact to carry in my pocket. I ended up with the Canon A710 with IS at the time.

While I love the Canon P&S cameras, they are NOTORIOUSLY bad at handling any low light situations particularly requiring 400ISO and above. I was so distraught about this that I had to get a second point and shoot camera, the Fuji F30, to handle the darker situations (Fuji by the way is the low-light king when it comes to compacts).

So I use the Canon for daytime and Fuji for nighttime shooting.

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Thu 28-Feb-08 10:36 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Since this is a value-based purchase I would go with the 40. It is true that the extra MP the x offers wouldn't make a whole lot of difference unless used for big prints. The 40 is a great camera for the money and I'm sure she would be more than happy with it. You lens setup seems pretty reasonable as well. I wouldn't consider buying a Canon. But that's just me.

JZP

http://yaris01.deviantart.com

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Fri 29-Feb-08 12:00 AM
#16. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 15

Seal Beach, US

I think I'm at the point of determining what breed of dog is best for her and she has decided she wants a cat! I have been married long enough to know that my advice should only apply to cats at this point, i.e., P&S cameras. Her issues are size and perceived simplicity, i.e., the feeling she gets looking at the camera.

If Nikon made a first-rate P&S camera, I would have it at the top of my list. I will take a look at the latest Panasonics with the Leica lenses, although they don't shoot RAW and traditionally have had somewhat odd image processing. In the end, this will almost certainly be decided between the Canon Elf SD950 (35-135mm zoom, an inch thick--the form factor she is accustomed to, and no RAW images) and the Canon 9G (35 to 210mm zoom, but two inches thick and has RAW images). Once again, logic has perhaps not prevailed.

Adrian

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Fri 29-Feb-08 12:08 AM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 16

CA

I understand. Yes logic seems to have been omitted here. I wont ever go back to P&S. DSlR's are heaps better. But for someone not familiar with using one, and not willing to learn, then I suppoes a good (great) p&s would do the job.

JZP

http://yaris01.deviantart.com

lambert13 Registered since 19th Apr 2006Tue 17-Jun-08 09:33 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 17

Schenectady, US

I can completely see her point.

I have been using SLR cameras for the last 20 years of my life, digital and film. At this point, I have had enough. Too bulky, too expensive, too much everything. I can appreciate the fact that my D50 can provide some pretty great images, but the G9 I am looking at will end up on my person far more often than the D50.

I do not exhibit my photos. I do not sell them. They are just for personal use. I can live with a little bit of noise, a little color fringing or whatever else the techies complain about. If my shot is delayed by 1/20th of a second on the G9 and my timing of the shot is slightly off......oh well. I am far more interested in EXPERIENCING things these days rather than recording images of them.

Hopefully I can get a good trade in on the D50 to offset the cost of the G9 by a decent amount.

Nikon D50
18-55 Kit Lens
50mm 1.8 AF
75-240 AF

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Tue 17-Jun-08 11:31 PM
#19. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 18

Seal Beach, US

Alas, she has now handled the G9 and judged it to be too large, bulky, and heavy. I think I'm stuck with an Elf-sized camera or a small increase in size and weight.

The conclusion is to wait until October, a month before a five-week vacation to S. America and see what is in the marketplace.

There is time and opportunity for Nikon to bring out such a camera in four months.

Adrian

Beatkat Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2007Thu 19-Jun-08 05:15 AM
239 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 19

Oxford, US

I can sympathize with this issue, as my wife loves the pictures I take with the D40x, but will not touch the camera. It's too intimidating to her, and too big. She really wanted something small for her purse, with a nice big LCD. The trade off is slower start up and all the controls are really small. The other issue is that she cannot seem to hold the camera still enough to get clear photos on many occasions. The camera is just too small, yes it's SO cute, and fit's in any purse she decides to carry, but she just cannot seem to take a sharp picture easily or quickly with it, because there's no real mass to it, and she can too easily move the camera right as she's pressing the shutter release. She also really has no patience to learn the intricacies of the camera... even though I'm finally getting to her because of the stunning pictures that the D40x can produce..she finally learned how to force the fill in flash on her little Olympus Stylus, and how to use the self timer....and after my 19 year old daughter started taking some shots with the D40x, she actually picked it up and took a picture......and it came out razor sharp.....I think she's getting it now...

Connecticut Nikonian
D5100
Nikkor 50mm 1.8
18-55DX
55-200VR
other asst. glass

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Thu 19-Jun-08 05:49 AM
#21. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 20

Seal Beach, US

After considerable agony on this topic, I have concluded that the camera my wife carries is to a large extent jewelry that sometimes takes photos. For example, I showed her a photo of the new Canon SD890 Elf that has a 5X zoom lens, vs. 3X for almost all other Elfs. Her initial enthusiasm melted when I told her that this model is clad with silver-colored plastic instead of metal. I now wonder if some of the ladies who lunch compare the exteriors of such cameras for appearance and size.

Picking a compact digital camera for her appears to be an entirely different problem that I had gone about to solve. (I saw a quote somewhere that the Canon G9 was the camera you want to be taking photos with but not the camera you want to be seen taking photos with. I must have been raised with the wrong values!)

Rumor has it that there will be a new Fujifilm compact out before the end of the year with a new generation sensor. I hope it looks nice.

Adrian

doctorcosmo Registered since 17th Jul 2004Fri 20-Jun-08 11:38 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 21

Lancaster County, PA,USA, US

Canon 590-IS / amazon $150.....Panasonic DMC-LS80K $120 Amazon.............I Own a D2X, D2H, And a New D60 and I have to say that the Panasonic and Canon are my favorite's by far, you can buy 3 of them for the price of a G9 along with memory, etc........Put one in the car, one at work and one in your pocket.PS; I know I sound an awfull lot like Ken Rockwell!!!!!!!!

cvmdc

tivballer Registered since 22nd Jun 2008Sun 22-Jun-08 02:59 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 16

US

First she doesn't want a D40 and NOW she prefers a cat??? Divorce her.

JinnQG Registered since 14th Sep 2007Sun 22-Jun-08 09:54 PM
80 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Since money is tight as you mentioned, put your foot down, act like a man. She doesn't need a camera.

Crabby Guy Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2004Sun 22-Jun-08 11:12 PM
#25. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 24

Seal Beach, US

The somewhat amusing thing here is that money is tight because of medical care for the 16-year-old cat!

Adrian

gwdave Registered since 25th Aug 2007Mon 23-Jun-08 05:14 AM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 25

US

Crabby Guy, From my point of view, I have the D40X. I have the camera set to the mid range as far a pixel goes, I have shot at the 10mg a couple of times, and can't for the life of me figure why I would need all the extra pixels. Go for the D40 with the 18-135, like you said in your first post you have a 70-300VR which she can use if need be. I have the 18-55, 55-200 combination and wish I had the 18-135 because of the 70-300VR I now own. I would say that for most shooting the 18-135 will give her all she would need.
Good Luck.....

Dave
D40X
18-55, 55-200, 70-300
SB600

TDevil Registered since 19th May 2008Thu 26-Jun-08 09:14 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: D40 vs. D40x vs. G9?"
In response to Reply # 26

AU

Looks like its going to be a P&S for the wife so try to get a look at a Leica C Lux2.A truly beautiful little camera,7mp 28-105 lens.It is nice to have that wide end in a P&S, it has VR,looks stunning and is a very small smooth black thing.
Panasonic has an equivelant with the leica lens but the picks are not as good,something to do with the engine or processor they use,and where the Leica is slick theirs looks a bit fussy. I nearly bought one a year and a half ago but it was just a bit to expensive at the time. Anyway I ended up with a D40 so I am a happy camper.
Sorry to hear about your cat,hope its OK, I recently spent the price of a Nikon Pro lens on my old Jack Russell,but hey she,s my friend and more important than any lens/camera. Good Luck.
TDevil

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26143 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.