Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26137
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where do I start?" Previous topic | Next topic
martine danielle Registered since 26th Feb 2008Tue 26-Feb-08 08:04 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Where do I start?"

GB

Hello, I am really new to the whole photography thing and feel a bit lost with how to use the camera. I have a Nikon D50 and was just wondering if anyone new of any books or online tutorials that might get me started in understanding about which ISO I need to use for shooting certain things etc.

Thank You

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Where do I start?
guitarmanjon
26th Feb 2008
louischeng328
29th Feb 2008
blw Moderator
28th Feb 2008
guitarmanjon
28th Feb 2008
yaris01
28th Feb 2008
jakbauerctu
02nd Mar 2008
Cookies35 Silver Member
03rd Mar 2008
SleeplessInKL
08th Mar 2008

guitarmanjon Registered since 21st Feb 2007Tue 26-Feb-08 09:41 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

York, GB

Hi, and congratulations on buying your D50. I've had mine for just under 2 years now and I still love it and use it all the time. That's quite a broad question you're asking though and would take a long time to answer. However, you've come to the right place to look for help with starting out with your D50 and for any questions you'll have in the future.

If you want to start shooting right away without worrying too much about what the camera's doing then put it in AUTO mode (or one of the other pre-made modes, depending on the shooting conditions) and fire away! I think it may benefit you to spend a little time learning about aperture, shutter speed and ISO before deciding to go about setting these for yourself. In answer to your specific question about ISO: broadly speaking, the ISO number determines the sensitivity to light of the sensor in the camera (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). A higher ISO means it is more sensitive to light so will allow higher shutter speeds/smaller apertures in lower light, for example. The AUTO ISO feature of the D50 works very well and allows you to concentrate more on choosing shutter speed or aperture. If you have the manual that came with the D50 I'd highly recommend reading it as I seem to remember it having a good overview of all these things. If you don't have the manual click here to see an online version.

A quick search on Google will turn up some tutorials on photography basics, like this one from Silverlight. Or there's this one here too. These both cover shutter speed, aperture, etc. Also, check out the second hand bookshops where you live. I got a great book explaining the basic concepts of photography and how a camera works for about £2. As it was a fairly old book it didn't have anything on digital SLRs but the concepts still apply.

Start experimenting, read the manual and the internet, and ask questions on here. You'll be a pro in no time

jon

louischeng328 Registered since 06th Jan 2008Fri 29-Feb-08 02:42 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 1

Markham, CA

i've learned alot too from your post.

thank you

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 28-Feb-08 01:12 AM
26733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

If you're new to photography, the best place to start is learning about photography, rather than about the camera. (Do that part second.)

My recommendation for all beginners is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's about a $20 book at Amazon.com and widely distributed almost everywhere - your local bookshop probably has it.

Once you understand a bit about photography, the camera manual will make a LOT more sense. I recommend Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D50 for a second book. (Actually it's an e-book, available at the author's web site: http://www.bythom.com)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

guitarmanjon Registered since 21st Feb 2007Thu 28-Feb-08 06:35 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 28-Feb-08 06:36 PM by guitarmanjon

York, GB

Oh yeah, definitely have a look at Understanding Exposure. I borrowed it off of a friend when I was first starting out and it helped a lot. Can't believe I forgot about that one!

jon

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Thu 28-Feb-08 09:28 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I recommend simply surfing the internet. Google is an obvious one. But Wikipedia is great too.

JZP

http://yaris01.deviantart.com

jakbauerctu Registered since 24th Apr 2007Sun 02-Mar-08 09:06 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 02-Mar-08 09:07 PM by jakbauerctu

San Jose, US

At the top of the page there is a button that says resources. There are a few article there that might help you (that is how I learned)
start with these articles:
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/composition_101/index.html
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/composition_101/index.html

Daniel
My Gallery

Cookies35 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2007Mon 03-Mar-08 10:55 PM
1962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 0

NL

Welcome Martine!

Turns out we just had a similar question over in the D80 forum. Here's what some folks had to say:

advice for newbies in D80 forum

You might find some useful stuff there. Have fun!!!

-- LaDonna

SleeplessInKL Registered since 18th Jul 2007Sat 08-Mar-08 02:52 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Where do I start?"
In response to Reply # 7

Kuala Lumpur, MY

Hi Martine,

I'm a noob, as well, despite having bought my D40 some 8 months ago.

I'd say start with Auto mode, lens on Auto focus. Shoot, shoot, shoot. Then, still on Auto mode, switch to Manual focus. Shoot some more. Start with well-lit subjects and preferably, those that don't move, so you have time to adjust your focus.

Read a few books or surf the web for some tips on composition. Continue shooting.

Then start shooting using Aperture Priority. Experiment with the settings. See what happens when you change from a low number to a bigger number.

Continue reading and continue experimenting. One day, you'll get yourself frustrated with not being able to control the settings and find yourself fiddling with Manual.

Most of all, have fun! Take pics of anything and everything

Mimi
www.sleeplessinkl.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26137 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.