Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26088
View in linear mode

Subject: "Shooting Basketball" Previous topic | Next topic
escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Sun 24-Feb-08 02:13 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Shooting Basketball"
Sun 24-Feb-08 02:30 PM by escrowdog

US

Just got my D40 last week. I have the stock 18-55 and the 55-200 DX VR. I am just getting back to the SLR thing after pointing & shooting the last few years. (I previously owned a Minolta XTsi & Tamron 28-200.)

I took quite a few shots at my sons basketball game yesterday. I had some decent luck with VR lens, set on P (did not thumb it to any other setting). I went to the menu and set the ISO priority to 1600...based on something I read here. I also set the WB accordingly. NO flash. Very pleased with the exposure considering the crappy lighting, just getting blurring on any remotely quick movement. I tried S but just got nearly a black screen...don't know enough yet on how to compensate for it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20341504@N02/2286185907/sizes/l/in/set-72157603972533167/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20341504@N02/2286230921/sizes/l/in/set-72157603972533167/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20341504@N02/2286215095/sizes/l/in/set-72157603972533167/

Is it possible to get any really good shots without using a flash...under fluorescent...with the lenses I have? Let me clarify..."really good shots"...means I like them, not TIME magazine.

Love the camera so far!! Just need to refresh my memory on settings.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Shooting Basketball
stevenmc
24th Feb 2008
escrowdog
24th Feb 2008
greshaki
25th Feb 2008
escrowdog
26th Feb 2008
MotoMannequin Moderator
26th Feb 2008
escrowdog
27th Feb 2008
gwdave
25th Feb 2008
yaris01
28th Feb 2008
escrowdog
04th Mar 2008
stevenmc
05th Mar 2008
yaris01
05th Mar 2008
yaris01
05th Mar 2008
escrowdog
05th Mar 2008
yaris01
05th Mar 2008
escrowdog
06th Apr 2008
capitaltpt
07th Apr 2008
yaris01
07th Apr 2008
escrowdog
07th Apr 2008
capitaltpt
07th Apr 2008
escrowdog
07th Apr 2008
Stankley
07th Apr 2008
escrowdog
07th Apr 2008

stevenmc Registered since 05th Feb 2008Sun 24-Feb-08 07:52 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 0

Des Moines, US

I bought a D40 in December 07 and have been taking a lot of basketball pictures, much like yourself. I was very frustrated with the quality of pictures I was getting from my kit 18-55 and my 55-200VR. The lighting was so poor I was unable to get a sufficient shutter speed to stop the action. Flash just isn't a good option for basketball games so I was shooting with available light. At best I might be able to get 1/60th or maybe 1/100th and that won't stop action. It's all personal choice, some like the blur, but I prefer to not have it.

As a low-cost alternative to those pricey f/2.8 zooms, I bought a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. It does not autofocus on the D40/D40x, but the large opening lets in a ton of light so I'm able to get good pics at 1/250th. The challenge now is focussing. It's really hard to get it spot on due to the shallow depth of field at f/1.8. But when you do get it right, the pictures are great.

You can get a new 50mm f/1.8 for around $110. There is also an 85mm version available, but it's a little more expensive. If I'm standing on the corners of the floor several feet off court, the 50mm seems to be about right.

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Sun 24-Feb-08 11:45 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Cool. I figured it was going to be a lens issue.

Do they make a lens like that in an AF version?? Manual focusing seems a little antiquated considering how far these cameras have come.

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Mon 25-Feb-08 12:08 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 2

Perth, AU

you'd think so wouldnt you? Unfortunately the only big aperture prime that will autofocus on our cameras is a 30mm prime made by Sigma, and this is just won't get you close enough to the action.

Looking over the list of autofocus lenses at the top of this subforum, there is a 105mm f/2.8 prime with VR... but I dont know how much it costs and from the sound of it I never want to!

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Tue 26-Feb-08 08:01 PM
#5. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Ya, I went and looked up a few of those f2.8 zooms....HOLY $^#& !! Most of them are more than the camera package was! But, I know that the glass makes the photo too. I think I'll keep shooting with what I have and then maybe keep an eye out for a used 2.8 zoomer of some kind. Or add a better flash as suggested.

Thanks again for everyones input.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Tue 26-Feb-08 09:17 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 5

Livermore, CA, US

I'd say start saving money and keep an eye on what focal lengths you're using most and let that instruct you on what lens to get next. If you can nail down a specific focal length that you use a lot then you can possibly find a little cheaper way to go with a prime. The Nikkor AF-S f/2.8 primes will all run you over $1000, some a lot over.

Nikon has a great line of f/1.8 & f/2.0 primes which are fantastic quality and great bargains, but unfortunately none will autofocus on the D40.

I don't shoot kid's basketball so I have no idea what focal length you'll use most. Once you learn that you might consider any of these lenses under $1000, any of which will AF on your camera:

Nikkor AF-S 60mm f/2.8 micro ($570)
Nikkor AF-S 105mm f/2.8 micro ($740)
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro ($600)
Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 ($750)
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 ($800)

You could also consider trying to manually focus either the 50mm f/1.8D ($110) or the 85mm f/1.8D ($400). You could also consider a D80, but if on a budget then the above options would be preferred.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Wed 27-Feb-08 01:54 AM
#7. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Ya, it sounds like that 50mm f1.8 is worth a try just to get a feel for the quality of a shot with that much light in general...without breaking the bank. If nothing else I can harass my wheaten terrier with it for that crazy gleam in the eye close-up.

gwdave Registered since 25th Aug 2007Mon 25-Feb-08 12:11 AM
82 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I shot my first basketball game a week or so ago. My Grandson was playing, and before the game I asked both couches if the flash would be a bother. They both said no, no problem, I have the SB600, and used the 55-200mm lens. I got good pictures even from the other end of the court. I would not take my second flash unit to the game to fire as a slave however as it is too powerful for that purpose (it is a METZ 402) I think it would blind someone if used on the court trying to fill in all the shadows. Just keep in mind before the game ask the couches of both teams if the flash is a problem, then if it is you have to do something else. You could raise the ISO to say 1600, and try that, then process in black & white, that would give some strange results I am sure.......

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Thu 28-Feb-08 10:01 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

A prime is without a doubt your best bet. For your purposes I recommend the 85 mm f/1.8 for about 450 CAD. The 50mm f/1.8 for 150 CAD or the 50mm f/1.4 for 350 CAD are good choices too.

JZP

http://yaris01.deviantart.com

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Tue 04-Mar-08 09:23 PM
#9. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 8

US

So do any of the primes you mentioned above AF with the D40? $350 is in the realm of doing....$1000 would probably be better spent on different model camera that will AF with the cheaper Nikkor lenses.

stevenmc Registered since 05th Feb 2008Wed 05-Mar-08 02:59 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 9

Des Moines, US

The 50mm and 85mm primes will not autofocus on your D40/D40x. If you want autofocus in a Nikon lens you need to look for the AF-S notation. In the Sigma line you can look for the HSM notation.

I find that 50mm is about right if you are on the floor, in the corner by the baseline. If you're in the stands then the 85mm would probably be better.

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Wed 05-Mar-08 07:41 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

No unfortunatly they do not autofocus on your body. The only primes that auto focus on the 40 are super telephoto. Which costa pretty penny. and are to powerful for inside shots. unless your in a big stadium.Heres a great list of fully compatible glass for the 40/x/60.

JZP

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Wed 05-Mar-08 07:53 PM
#12. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 11

CA

Haha sorry forgot the link...long day! http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=152&topic_id=13319&mesg_id=13319&page=

JZP

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Wed 05-Mar-08 10:22 PM
#13. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Thanks...I had been on that link but just wasn't processing the AUTO FOCUS part of the title! It all makes sense.

I went ahead and ordered a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 from Ritz...about as cheap as anywhere using Paypal $116 shipped. It will be a good test for what I'm doing, even if it is manual focus. God help me if I begin to justify a $500 friggin lens!! We'll see how far my son wants to go with this competitive basketball tournament team before I spring for anything more substantial.

BTW, getting some really nice shots with the D40 in general. Even the stock 18-55 lens takes some nice non-flash photos indoors...provided nobody makes any quick moves!

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Wed 05-Mar-08 11:07 PM
#14. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 13

CA

116 shipped is a good deal. You should be happy with it, despite the manual focus. I'm happy with my 40 also. I use the 55-200 more often than I do the 18-55 but it is a good lens, I use it occasionally for landscape shots.

JZP

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Sun 06-Apr-08 09:44 PM
#15. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Okay...FINALLY got my 50mm prime lens! Had to cancel my Ritz order as they never did get any in stock, I ended up at Amazon for a little less even.

Anyway, back to shooting basketball indoors with this lens. Can someone give me some rough settings to try. Best to shoot in M mode? ISO? Like to be able to stop some action.

Thanks.

capitaltpt Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Mon 07-Apr-08 12:15 AM
439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 15

Dayton, US

Try it in S Mode (Shutter Priority) and try to dial up the shutter speed to 1/500. If the lighting isn't good enough for 1/500, lower it until it is. Somewhere between 1/250 and 1/500 should be decent for stopping action. As far as ISO, it will again depend on the lighting of the gym. Use Auto ISO with an 800 max to start as this will keep noise fairly minimal. If you still aren't able to get decent shutter speeds, then bump it up to 1600.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

yaris01 Registered since 26th Jan 2008Mon 07-Apr-08 12:33 AM
#17. "RE: Shooting Basketball"

CA

Wow, it's been one month since you ordered that prime from ritz...congrats on the lens(if you get this one.)I don't think you will need 160 ISO for the shots using that lens, but hey, you never know. I think it would be wise if you changed the whitebalance yourself as opposed to using the auto function. I assume the stadium uses fluorescent? This should improve the lighting a little further. You are using the built in flash right? A sppedlight would probably be better, even if you went for the SB400 or a cheap third party.

JZP

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Mon 07-Apr-08 01:22 AM
#18. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 17

US

Hey guys,

Thanks for jumping back on this thread for me! I HAVE the lens in hand and have been messing around a little with it. The few snapshots I took around the house and of my daughter are VERY nice. I'll take it to bball practice this Tuesday and give it a whirl. Trying to shoot without a flash...that was the goal in getting this lens.

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm on my own as far as focusing this correct? Meaning the focus brackets that the AF uses is all I get...no split circle thing to match up some vertical lines or anything like my Minolta had?

capitaltpt Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Mon 07-Apr-08 01:33 AM
439 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 18

Dayton, US

Unfortunately you only have the focusing dot in the bottom left of the viewfinder to go by other than your eye. It's pretty accurate though. If you want a split prism, there are focusing screens made by Katz Eye optics for every Nikon camera and from what I've read, they work very well. I just ordered one on Friday for my D40 since all of my current glass will only manually focus on the D40. Their website is here:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

and you can even order them through the PhotoPro Shop here on Nikonians.

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Mon 07-Apr-08 01:47 AM
#20. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 19

US

Focusing dot!! Who knew??!! As usual I didn't read a damn thing and just started shooting. Thanks, that's a handy tip.

Let us know how the prism works out.

Stankley Registered since 21st Nov 2006Mon 07-Apr-08 11:31 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Shooting Basketball"

US

Please let us know how this works out - I'd love to see your results. I've been considering what to do about basketball too - I tried shooting my son's game with a 18-135mm but was not getting any decent results, the light is just too dim.

I've been considering getting the 50mm too, but I'm holding out thinking that Nikon will be releasing a sufficiently fast and cheap AF-S prime any day now.... I see that Sigma are releasing a f1.4 50mm with HSM which would seem ideal, but there's currently no price or availability.

C'mon Nikon! Get that AF-S 50 or 85mm in my hands ASAP!

escrowdog Registered since 09th Feb 2008Mon 07-Apr-08 12:06 PM
#22. "RE: Shooting Basketball"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Stankley,

My thoughts exactly. I figured I'd try this for $110 in the mean time and see what kind of results I'm getting, get a taste of some nice glass at a cheap price. Then pop for something with AF down the road. The 50mm will bring 90 used on ebay so I'm not out much.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26088 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.