Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26023
View in linear mode

Subject: " detaching card reader from the base" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Thu 21-Feb-08 03:05 PM
1415 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
" detaching card reader from the base"

US

Hi guys, I have a sandisk card reader that sits on the base and has a amber light that stays on...When I insert my memory card it does its thing and then I remove the card and click on the little icon that lets me unplug the hardware, which I'm assuming that means letting me take the actual scanner off the base, but when I try to do that is says "device generic volume cannot be stopped right now, try stopping the device again later...Well, it is exactly 3 hours later and it still won't let me stop it...Is there something I am missing? Thanks guys,,dc

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 21-Feb-08 03:19 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: detaching card reader from the base"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

Some program is still trying to access the card, probably Nikon Transfer/Picture Project/ViewNX/CaptureNX/whatever. Try closing programs one at a time, give a few seconds, then try clicking the icon again.

The reason it warns you is because sometimes when you write to media, Windows caches the writes for later idle time, and if you remove the disk before the writes are completed you get corrupted data. This doesn't really work for card readers, because Windows doesn't detect the card being removed, but it does detect the reader being unplugged. If your card is removed then you're at no further risk of corrupting data, so you can remove the reader, but if you want Windows to stop whining then you have to find out what program is holding the drive open.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

guitarmanjon Registered since 21st Feb 2007Thu 21-Feb-08 08:58 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: detaching card reader from the base"
In response to Reply # 1

York, GB

>If your card is removed then you're at no further risk of corrupting
>data

Agreed. If you've successfully transferred your pics, are convinced they're now on your computer's hard disk and you've taken the memory card out of the reader just unplug it. Windows may be upset with you briefly but it will get over it.

jon

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #26023 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.