Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25837
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wide angle primes, are there any?" Previous topic | Next topic
greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Thu 14-Feb-08 04:58 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wide angle primes, are there any?"

Perth, AU

Are there such things as wide angle primes that will fit on my D40x? If there are, I know they wont focus but are there any that will meter? 10mm would be awesome, but Id be interested in anything 14mm or less

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?
MotoMannequin Moderator
14th Feb 2008
greshaki
14th Feb 2008
Covey22 Moderator
14th Feb 2008
jrp Administrator
14th Feb 2008
Scotty Silver Member
14th Feb 2008
blw Moderator
15th Feb 2008
blw Moderator
15th Feb 2008
greshaki
16th Feb 2008
Martin Joergensen
17th Feb 2008
greshaki
18th Feb 2008

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 14-Feb-08 06:21 AM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

With the exception of the 10.5mm DX fisheye, you're pretty much out of luck. There is the Nikkor 14mm f/2.8 which is very pricey ($1400) and it was a great lens on film, it isn't so good on digital.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Thu 14-Feb-08 09:41 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 1

Perth, AU

whoa. Well that's not happening, I was looking for a cheaper alternative to the sigma 10-20mm Thanks for repying

This is just in passing, but Ive seen shots from the sigma at 10mm, why does that have a fairly normal perspective yet the 10.5mm nikon is so fishy?

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 14-Feb-08 11:55 AM
10574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Because the Sigma is a rectilinear lens, which renders the perspectives in straight lines. The Nikon is, well, a fisheye, so it will be fishy. Note: Using Capture NX, you can "de-fish" 10.5mm RAW photos, but the perspective distortion remains; it's not a true rectilinear conversion.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 14-Feb-08 02:15 PM
34278 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

For full compatibility of Auto Focusing, you need AF-S lenses with integrated Silent Wave AF engine in a D40x.

There are no prime AF-S Wide angle lenses.

The shortest focal lenght in a AF-S prime is the new AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED

The alternative are zooms, like the 14-24mm f/G AF-S DX

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Thu 14-Feb-08 04:29 PM
4817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 14-Feb-08 04:29 PM by Scotty

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Maybe not quite short enough for you but there is a 16mm f2.8 which is quite good.

Second hand ones go for about UK£450 in good condition...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 15-Feb-08 08:16 AM
26565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

Well, the OP specified shorter than 14mm, but even so, the 16mm is a fisheye, which also is likely not what he was after. Especially since the 16mm fisheye is not a DX, so it's really kind of a half-breed when used on a DX camera. You get a lot of distortion, obviously present and not a rectilinear lens, but it's not generally enough to really make a strong fisheye statement.

And finally, the 16/f2.8 isn't an AFS lens, so it does not AF on the D40.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 15-Feb-08 08:18 AM
26565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 15-Feb-08 08:18 AM by blw

Richmond, US

Incidently, while we're on the subject of fisheyes, Sigma have not one but TWO that meter and AF on the D40: the 10mm/f2.8 rectangular fisheye and the 4.5mm/f2.8 circular fisheye, both brand new.

However, as above, these are fisheyes, and they probably aren't what most people think of as a "wide angle prime" even though technically that's what they are. They are both considerably more expensive than the Sigma 10-20, too.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Sat 16-Feb-08 02:16 PM
#8. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 7

Perth, AU

Thanks very much for the info everyone, looks like the sigma 10-20mm is the cheapest option if I want to take wide angle shots

Martin Joergensen Registered since 16th Sep 2007Sun 17-Feb-08 02:24 PM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 8

Copenhagen, DK

greshaki,

I bought a used D40 recently and have been having a lot of fun with my Sigma 10-20 mounted on it. It's a very sweet combo! I have used it a lot in spite of having a D200 as my main body.

A couple of examples:

I would love to have an even more compact and maybe brighter wideangle, but we both seem to be out of luck in that respect. But the 10-20 is a gem and does it for me for now.

Martin

Martin Joergensen, Copenhagen, Denmark

Host of the Nikonians podcast "On Location with Martin Joergensen"
http://podcasts.nikonians.org/on_location.html

And now blogger on the Nikonians
http://blog.nikonians.org/martin_joergensen/

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Mon 18-Feb-08 07:34 AM
#10. "RE: Wide angle primes, are there any?"
In response to Reply # 9

Perth, AU

I love that first one Martin! It just seems to be the best settup for awesome landscape shots. Nnggh too much want!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25837 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.