Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #258
View in linear mode

Subject: "A few D50 questions" Previous topic | Next topic
wgs Registered since 01st Nov 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 11:49 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A few D50 questions"

I have had my D50 for a few months, and I am loving it. The quality of the pictures I am taking is amazing. This is my fisrt dSLR, and I am generally happy with my decision. I am having 2 issues with the camera so far...

1) No grid lines. I didn't think I would need them, but most of my landscape shots are tilted. I can usually correct this with software, but I would much prefer to get it right in the camera. Will there be an upgrade available for the focus screen? If the screen from the d70 was placed in the d50, would the lines be able to be controlled?

2) Double flash... Is there a way to eliminate the double flash? Each time I take a picture of my cat and ocassionally when I take a picture of a person, the first firing of the flash makes the subject blink. It seems that even at 1/500 I do not capture open eyes.

Thanks,
Bill

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A few D50 questions
edmun
03rd Nov 2005
wgs
03rd Nov 2005
edmun
03rd Nov 2005
sillyconguru
03rd Nov 2005
James23p Moderator
03rd Nov 2005
wgs
04th Nov 2005
nipprdog
06th Nov 2005
wgs
06th Nov 2005
mkbee1
27th Nov 2012
James23p Moderator
27th Nov 2012
mkbee1
28th Nov 2012
James23p Moderator
28th Nov 2012

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Nov-05 12:09 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

#1 you probably can not get a grid screen - If you can it will not be a Nikon one.

D70 grids are electronic not a etched on the screen so unless the D50 has the connections. No

Beattie makes after market screens for cameras but if they do make a D50 screen. I think it will be cheaper to sell the D50 and get a D70. There may be a bunch of them used when the D200 is available. The Beattie screens used to be about a $50 plus installation.

Call Nikon at 1-800 645 6689 for a better answer.

#2 yes but then you no longer have iTTL flash -- Set the flash to manual and you will have to work with guide numbers for exposure - The preflashes are only a problem with some people, most do not blink and it may be that they see your finger get ready to push the button. I have this happen on cameras that do not have a preflash also.

#3 buy a SB 800 and use it A mode (or any of the older SB's), AA or M mode.(it will calculate distance for you.

ledmun

wgs Registered since 01st Nov 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 12:43 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the quick response. I will try the manual flash mode and see how that works for me. As for selling the camera, I am not sure that I am ready to do that. Some of the reviews that I have read seem to indicate that the noise at high ISO is less evident on the d50 than on the d70/d70s. Since I don't have the budget for really fast glass, I unfortunately am forced to rely on the low noise... Maybe a d200 for me next year...
-Bill

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Nov-05 01:03 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 2

eugene, US

What are you shooting where you need the fast glass.

I suspect that the D70 and D70s are really very close to the D50. Often the reviewers are off. Is one of them KR.

ledmun

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 03:38 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

1) The grid lines are in a LCD overlay, not actually on the screen.

2) Can't you set the AE-L/AF-L button to act as FV-lock? If you can; this would pre-flash as you press the button (locking exposure), the flash will then only fire once when you take the picture.

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Thu 03-Nov-05 07:54 PM
9121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 4

Memphis, US

Are you using the camera's onboard flash?

This is right in the line of sight and will cause this occasionaly.

If possible get an SB600 or SB800 and then you can bounce your flash this will prevent the preflash right in the eyes. Also the SB800 comes with a diffuser this helps soften the light. The SB600 does not have a diffuser from nikon but there are after markets.

One last thing can the really bright light be the auto focus assist lamp. I used to turn mine off on my N80 and if you get one of the speedlights they use infrared AF assist no bright light.

Side note the D70s will have the same problem and set up they are very close. Plus you are right all the reviews state the D50 has lower noise and better out of the camera pictures and a slighty faster AF due to new algorythems and sensor spread. But the D70 gives more control, two wheels and slighty better build. Give some take some. Both are great camera's period.

If you have time post your question in the Speedlight forum many D70 owners can help to.

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

wgs Registered since 01st Nov 2005Fri 04-Nov-05 05:33 PM
#6. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 5

I definitely will be adding the SB-800 to the short list of things to buy. I went to the shop I bought my camera from to see about a trade up. They offered me $500 for the d50 with kit lens and were selling the d70s with the 18-70dx for $1199. I just could not justify spending an additional $700 for the upgrade. Maybe I'll look around for a d70 instead.

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 12:34 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>1) No grid lines. I didn't think I would need them, but
>most of my landscape shots are tilted.
>
>
>Thanks,
>Bill

maybe try one of those bubble levels that fit on the hotshoe?

wgs Registered since 01st Nov 2005Sun 06-Nov-05 04:21 PM
#8. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 7

I have thought about getting one of those for tripod shots, but they aren't much help for hand held shots.

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012Tue 27-Nov-12 03:46 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 27-Nov-12 03:50 AM by mkbee1

US

My daughter-in-law has the fastest blink reflex on the planet! For the D50, go into your menu, then go to FV LOCK.(Pencil,then #14) Activate FV LOCK, then when you are ready to take the photo, press the AE-L AF-L button on the right side of the viewfinder. The flash will fire, and exposure will be read. Then, if you don't change distances, every flash picture you take will be correctly exposed. Change distances, press the FV button again, then shoot away. This even works with my SB 600 mounted.

Good luck!
Carl

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Tue 27-Nov-12 04:10 AM
9121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 9

Memphis, US

Good answer Carl but this thread is over 7 years old I'm not sure the orignal poster will see it. But I do appreciate the excellent responce.

Thanks Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012Wed 28-Nov-12 12:03 AM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Woops! I have to start reading the dates of posts! Apologies!
Carl

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 28-Nov-12 12:52 AM
#12. "RE: A few D50 questions"
In response to Reply # 11

Memphis, US

No problem still great info I just didn't want you wondering why the op didn't respond.

Again thanks Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #258 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.