Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25497
View in linear mode

Subject: "When to take off the lens?" Previous topic | Next topic
bpperry Registered since 01st Feb 2008Sat 02-Feb-08 04:23 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"When to take off the lens?"

US

With small SLR bodies like this, when is it appropriate to remove the lens and store the body with the body cap on it? Does the cap offer dust and dirt more access to the mirror box than a lens does? Does it affect the lens to be on the camera while stored for long periods of time? What are your arguments for your method?

Probably an insignificant question, but I want to know what you guys think, and I want my gear to be healthy.

Brandon

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: When to take off the lens?
KazooTom
02nd Feb 2008
maxwell1
02nd Feb 2008
briantilley Moderator
02nd Feb 2008
sorin
02nd Feb 2008
mtpenmaker
02nd Feb 2008
bpperry
02nd Feb 2008
HBB Moderator
04th Feb 2008

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Sat 02-Feb-08 05:08 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: When to take off the lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The only time you need to remove the lens for storage is when you are storing the camera someplace that the lense will not fit. If you have a place where only the body fits, then the lens must come off. The body cap affords the same dust protection as the lens. However, everytime you remove the lens you allow the chance for dust to enter the camera. When the lens is off ALWAYS store it with both the front and rear caps in place to keep the elements dust free.

Michigan Nikonian

maxwell1 Registered since 01st Jul 2007Sat 02-Feb-08 12:32 PM
369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: When to take off the lens?"
In response to Reply # 1

Worcester, US

I usually leave my 18-200 on the D40 body. I only change lenses if I have to, and then, if you are going to change lenses, always do it indoors, in an environment away from dust. These cameras are very sensitive to airborne particles-the sensor/low pass filter area has a charge around it, and brings things in like a magnet. Leave the lens on your body, unless you want to swap lenses out. When doing so, make sure the bayonet body opening is facing down. I try not to make frequent lens swaps. But, I always store my camera in the bag, with a lens on. And a cap on the lens, of course!

A

Nikon D40
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor 18-55mm
Nikkor 55-200mm VR-I
Nikkor 18-200mm VR-II
Nikon SB-400 Speedlight
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 02-Feb-08 12:39 PM
29043 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: When to take off the lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

It's not at all an insignificant question...!

The joint between lens and camera will generally be tighter than that between body cap and camera. So from that point of view, you're less likely to have dust entering the camera if you store it with a lens fitted. There is really no problem with doing this, unless (as mentioned above) the lens/camera will not fit where you want to put it.

I do think, though, that those who advocate changing lenses as little as possible, and only in clean conditions, are taking things a bit too far. SLR camera are designed to have interchangeable lenses - that is their whole reason for existence. As long as you use reasonable care, there is no problem at all in changing lenses while you are on location

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

sorin Registered since 06th Sep 2007Sat 02-Feb-08 01:38 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: When to take off the lens?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 02-Feb-08 01:40 PM by sorin

RO

i don't store the camera without the lens. the last one used stays there until there is need for another.
some suggest storing it with the lens pointed down. it seems a good idea to me. the dust inside is more likely to fall on other parts than on the sensor.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Sat 02-Feb-08 03:54 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: When to take off the lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

Why would you want to store it for a long period of time? Mine never goes un-used for more than a day or two. I don't worry too much about dust in the sensor and I change lenses when needed, whether inside or out. Once a week I clean the sensor with my Giottos air blower or if I notice anything in an image.

I learned the hard way many years ago that the only way to get once in a lifetime photos is to have your camera with you. I was driving into Anacortes, WA on a business trip and there was the most beautiful image of the moon rising over Mt. Baker and both reflected in the dead calm water of Puget Sound. I had left my camera at home in Denver because it was just a short trip. I was there several times after that on business but never saw the same image again.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

bpperry Registered since 01st Feb 2008Sat 02-Feb-08 04:40 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: When to take off the lens?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I definitely learned something from all of the replies. Thanks.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 04-Feb-08 12:23 AM
8485 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: When to take off the lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Brandon:

I'm with those who never remove lenses from camera bodies unless necessary to change them. I store all my DSLR bodies with lenses on, in a large drawer resting on their bottom plates.

When changing lenses, I always do so with the camera turned off. I place the next lens to be mounted on a flat surface and loosen the rear lens cap. I then remove the current lens and place it on the surface beside the next lens, while keeping the camera body face down to avoid dust settling in it. I use a rubber blower on the rear of the current lens when I remove it. I then blow out the rear lens cap and the rear element of the next lens, and place the cap on the removed lens and the next lens in the camera. I then tighten the rear lens cap on the removed lens and store it in its case.

Yes, this method is a bit cumbersome and not all situations leave time for it, but I rarely get dust bunnies in my camera sensors.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25497 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.