Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25209
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Lens not attached"" Previous topic | Next topic
af3556 Registered since 11th Jan 2008Sun 27-Jan-08 02:31 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
""Lens not attached""

AU

Uh-oh: I've had my D40X with the 18-135mm for around two weeks, and yesterday the camera started complaining about "lens not attached" (when indeed it was). In each case wiggling the lens has restored operation, only to recur some time later (I'm guessing it's a bad contact which is intermittent with movement of the lens).

Searching the web (and this forum) has shown that I'm not alone in this problem, and indeed it seems to most commonly occur with the 18-135mm lens (both with the D40 and D40X).

What's the experience here - have you had this problem, and if so did you a) put up with it, b) get it repaired c) get it replaced, or d) give up and sell it.

I bought this camera in Sydney - anyone have any experience with Nikon AU's repair system?

Thanks,
Ben

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: "Lens not attached"
KazooTom
27th Jan 2008
af3556
27th Jan 2008
jku
27th Jan 2008
hbilling Silver Member
30th Jan 2008
maxwell1
31st Jan 2008
gatsby
31st Jan 2008
WhatMACHI
01st Feb 2008
digimaan
01st Jan 2009
mtpenmaker
01st Jan 2009
mtpenmaker
01st Jan 2009
digimaan
01st Jan 2009
briantilley Moderator
01st Jan 2009
mtpenmaker
02nd Jan 2009
af3556
02nd Jan 2009
digimaan
02nd Jan 2009
digimaan
04th Jan 2009
af3556
04th Jan 2009
digimaan
05th Jan 2009
drmosk
03rd Feb 2009
digimaan
04th Feb 2009
drmosk
04th Feb 2009
digimaan
05th Feb 2009

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Sun 27-Jan-08 03:22 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 0

US

If the camera and lens is only two weeks old, why not try taking it back to the dealer? I would think that the dealer would be most helpful in taking care of the problem for you, or at least lend assistance in determining the problem and coordinating with Nikon Au for you.

Michigan Nikonian

af3556 Registered since 11th Jan 2008Sun 27-Jan-08 05:51 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 1

AU

>If the camera and lens is only two weeks old, why not try
>taking it back to the dealer?

I'm sure the retailer will be helpful, though I'm reluctant to follow that path due to previous experiences with repair of goods with intermittent problems (not Nikon, but they'd be a first if they actually fixed the issue). To put it bluntly: what can they do? Unless it's a known problem they can only test it for a few minutes which will very likely not show the problem. So they return the camera to me with "no fault found" and I'm back to square one with time wasted and a few weeks with no camera. My Dad went through an exercise like this with a quite expensive MF camera, it went on for years (he had retired so had the patience for it; not me).

I guess what I'm looking for is if someone can say with any authority that this is a common issue (or not), and if so in which part (camera or lens). In which case I can feel justified in pressing for a complete replacement of the body and/or lens. No waiting, no "no fault found".

Unfortunately I only have (for now :-) the 18-135 bought as a kit, so I can't narrow down whether it's the body or lens.

Thanks for the comment,
Ben

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sun 27-Jan-08 06:40 PM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 2

GB

The contacts might have oily deposits on them. have you tried cleaning the contacts with a clean cotton cloth?

john

hbilling Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2007Wed 30-Jan-08 08:13 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Worth, US

Last year I rented an 18-135mm lens to use on a trip to Belize (I had an 18-200mm VR on order, but it wouldn't arrive in time). I had just bought a D40 and the kit lens wasn't long enough. Several days into the trip I would intermittantly get the "Lens not attached" error. Like you, I would just wiggle the lens and it would work again. Since I returned the lens after the trip, I didn't pursue the cause of the error.

A few weeks later, my 18-200mm lens arrived (mid-March '07). I have never experienced the "Lens not attached" error with either the 18-200mm lens or the 18-55mm kit lens, so it must have something to do with that lens.

maxwell1 Registered since 01st Jul 2007Thu 31-Jan-08 02:14 AM
369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 4

Worcester, US

It sounds like something to do with the electronic couplings/contacts between the lens and the mount, where the camera gets info from the lens. You may have oil deposits on them. Your dealer may be able to help, but I have heard of this before, and I don't think it's a big deal to have resolved.

A

Nikon D40
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor 18-55mm
Nikkor 55-200mm VR-I
Nikkor 18-200mm VR-II
Nikon SB-400 Speedlight
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

gatsby Registered since 18th May 2006Thu 31-Jan-08 06:21 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 0

St. Paul, US

I had this problem with my D40 and the 18-200mm lens. Like you, the problem only appeared with the larger lens, although I don't remember being able to wiggle it into working. I took the camera with lens to original retailer who replaced it for me (without my pushing it -- I wasn't sure I wanted to set everything up again). New camera has not had any problems with the mount in 9 months.

WhatMACHI Registered since 20th Feb 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 01:38 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 0

After my mate dropped my D50 with my 18-135 attatched i often get this problem (although it just shows F-- on my screen as opposed to lens not attatched). A little fiddling will get it working again, but im sure there is a connection issue which may be a result of plastic mounting brackets as opposed to metal?

digimaan Registered since 01st Jan 2009Thu 01-Jan-09 01:57 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Hi,
I have a D40 which comes up with the same error.
I have bought a Sigma 18 - 50mm DC zoom lens of the type which should work on a D40 (ie lens has an internal USM AF motor not using the drive dog on the camera)
The camera came off ebay as faulty, the last 2 contacts inside the lens throat have melted.
On looking at the position of these contacts in relation to the lens noticed they do not line up!!
Looking at the lens at the red dot on the mount it lines up with the fourth from the left pin.
Looking at the camera lens mount the top screw which should correspond with the red dot when the lens is clicked into place.
On my camera the contscts do not appear to line up with the top screw, in fact they are all shifted to the right which effectively means the lens is connecting to the gaps between the pins rather than the pins themselves?
I would like someone to check their camera and see if they look the same. This might be why some people say by twisting the lens slightly short of the "click point" can get the camera to work (I can't it does make any difference in my case)
Someone's comments would be most welcome!!
Thanks
Phil

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 01-Jan-09 04:15 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 8

Billings, US

Welcome to Nikonians. Unfortunately, you're trying to hijack this thread with an issue related to "faulty" camera. It would be much more helpful to you and the OP if you start a new topic.

>I would like someone to check their camera and see if they
>look the same. This might be why some people say by twisting
>the lens slightly short of the "click point" can get
>the camera to work (I can't it does make any difference in my
>case)
>Someone's comments would be most welcome!!
>Thanks
>Phil

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 01-Jan-09 04:27 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

Call the Nikon repair center, probably located in Sydney. You may even be able to just take it there and have them check it on the spot. I don't have this lens, but I remember seeing other posts about this issue many months ago. I had a D40 and the 18-200mm VR lens and never saw this error. I suspect that the manufacturing tolerances on the body and lenses may be conspiring against you; lens mount on the body at one end of tolerance and lens at the other end making for a sloppy fit. Part of the problem could be hand holding technique. The left hand should cradle the camera/lens while the right hand holds it by the built-in grip. I have seen many people holding DSLRs with one hand on each side of the body. Good hand holding technique aside, you would probably still get the error when using a tripod since the lens doesn't have a tripod foot.

In the long run I think you need to take it back to the dealer and get another body and check it thoroughly before you leave the store. Maybe even another, different lens, like the 18-200 VR, 18-105 VR or 16-85 VR.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

digimaan Registered since 01st Jan 2009Thu 01-Jan-09 04:51 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 10

GB

Hi Gary,
Thanks for your post but Sydney is the other side of the world from me!!
I do repair cameras as a side line from my main job and this one is foxing me!! It does seem to be a big problem with this camera and as you say manufacturing tolerances are a bit poor to say the least!!
I have ordered a new contact assembly from Nikon UK and hope this cures the problem (when it arrives)!!
Will keep you all posted.
Thanks
Phil

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 01-Jan-09 04:56 PM
28915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 11

Paignton, GB

>Thanks for your post but Sydney is the other side of the world
>from me!!

Gary is responding to the original post in thie thread.

This is the danger of resurrecting a year-old thread to add a post about a separate problem. As suggested above, I'm sure you will get a better response if you start a new thread

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 02-Jan-09 12:17 AM
#13. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 12

Billings, US

I didn't notice this was a year old

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

af3556 Registered since 11th Jan 2008Fri 02-Jan-09 03:08 AM
#14. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 10

AU

It's probably a good thing this thread was resurrected, as I'd totally forgotten to post a followup: in just about a year now I've not had the "Lens not attached" error. I did clean the contacts at the time, and I still only have the one lens (argh!) and thus very rarely remove it, so I can only assume that the problem was due to a dirty contact.

Thanks,
Ben

digimaan Registered since 01st Jan 2009Fri 02-Jan-09 09:10 PM
#15. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 14

GB

Hi Ben,
I didn't realise it was a year old either!!
Its a bit more than dirty contacts I think - I have updated the firmware to 1.11 but this hasn't made any difference either.
I think it has me beat so far but I will persevere!!
I can use it ok with manual lenses, I am using it with a series E 28mm with good results.
There does not appear to be a D40 review on this site, or is it too basic to bother with??
I know "cheap" and "Nikon" have never gone together in the same sentence
but it would be nice to include one.
I did have a D50 in the past but I never really liked it that much, it was too bulky and the D40 is just the right size and weight for me.
Thanks again for your postings in respect of my problem...
Phil

digimaan Registered since 01st Jan 2009Sun 04-Jan-09 02:35 PM
#16. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 15

GB

Hi All
For those who may be interested I have cured my "lens not attached" problem with the new lens contact unit just received from Nikon at the princely sum of £11.57 including Vat and postage.
Thanks for all your help in diagnosing the problem as being the contacts.
Thanks to Nikon for still supplying parts which you can fit yourself (if you are competant enough with a soldering iron I might add)
I'd hate to think how much this would cost to get fitted by Nikon though.
All is now working fine and I can enjoy this excellent camera to its full capacity.
Phil

af3556 Registered since 11th Jan 2008Sun 04-Jan-09 07:13 PM
#17. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 16

AU

That's good news. One of my few concerns re. the D40 was the use of plastic on the lens mount, it's good to see in the event of damage the parts are available and not outrageously priced.

I've been very happy with my D40X. My last SLR (well, my Dad's) was a Minolta 9000 over 15 years ago. The D40X has proven to be far more portable (lightweight, compact and not so costly that I can't risk taking it to places I would never have dreamt of taking my Dad's Minolta) and a year in and I'm still experimenting and learning new stuff.

Rgds,
Ben

digimaan Registered since 01st Jan 2009Mon 05-Jan-09 08:43 PM
#18. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 17

GB

Hi Ben,

Yes the D40 is surprisingly well made inside, as well made as most and better in some respects than the D50.
Don't be fooled by the magnesium alloy more expensive models - they are still very much the same inside and still break when dropped!!
After 28 years or repairing cameras I've seen them all....
I have always been pleased with Nikon's spares availabilty over the years and as I've always repaired my own cameras its been essential to be able to get them - even though they were reluctant to sell me a part for the flash (oh my God I might kill myself - you only stick your fingers across a charged flash capacitor once!!) - I soon put them right.
Its also handy as I do repairs for my local London Camera Exchange shop as well!!

Regards

Phil

drmosk Registered since 03rd Feb 2009Tue 03-Feb-09 08:00 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 18

US

To add my 2 cents here... my D40 has developed an array of problems, including the error message "lens not attached", as well as a sporadic "flash not attached". In addition, it has a nasty habit of locking up, and only after repeatedly turning the camera off and on (reboot) it then takes the photo at the same settings in which it froze. The unit is now back at Nikon repair for the 3rd time in 5 months, with the identical problems plaguing it. The problems began 16 months after purchase. We'll see what Nikon does this time. I suspect that I've got a "lemon". Anyone experience a similar nightmare?

digimaan Registered since 01st Jan 2009Wed 04-Feb-09 09:44 PM
#20. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 19

GB

Hi drmosk

Not had this problem - just the "lens not attached" which was cured with a new contact assembly.
You may well have a lemon there!!
The only thing users must be aware of is if you want to use manual focus type legacy lenses ( especially non- Nikon) on these (or any) Nikon digital cameras is to make sure that no metal part of these lenses contact any of the lens contacts inside the camera - you may cause a short circuit, or distort the contact assembly out of shape (this is what must have happened to mine as the contacts were burnt and the plastic had melted)
Have you tried resetting the camera with the reset button (between the video out and the USB sockets on the side of the camera behind the rubber flap)
These cameras are not very well screened and can pick up interference from a mobile phone or other electrical/ radio equipment which may corrupt operation.
Worth a try.
Phil

drmosk Registered since 03rd Feb 2009Wed 04-Feb-09 10:43 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 20

US

Phil,

Thanks very much for the feedback. The particular message of "lens not attached" occurs regardless of what type of lens I use, Nikon or 3rd party, AF or manual. Nikon replaced the contact assembly last go-round, still leaving me with the same problems ("lens not attached" error being just one of many.) The reset button did exactly what it was supposed to have done, but it didn't resolve any of my issues. Hopefully, Nikon will do me right this time.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

digimaan Registered since 01st Jan 2009Thu 05-Feb-09 07:42 PM
#22. "RE: "Lens not attached""
In response to Reply # 21

GB

Hi drmosk
Oh dear!! Sounds like you've had a bit of a run-around with this one.
Sorry I can't be a bearer of good news.
I hope they can sort it out for you.
Phil

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25209 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.