Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25170
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF" Previous topic | Next topic
hilowj Registered since 10th Dec 2007Sat 26-Jan-08 03:26 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"

Asheville, US

I am looking for feedback on anyone who has a D40(x) and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF lens. I am considering purchasing this lens and am wondering how easy/hard it is to use the lens/camera combo with manual focus and setting the aperture on the lens itself. Also, does the metering work on the camera with this lens? Any advice/feedback would be appreciated as will any sample photos taken with this lens and the D40. Thanks in advance.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF
briantilley Moderator
26th Jan 2008
justinngo
26th Jan 2008
briantilley Moderator
26th Jan 2008
CAtrike
26th Jan 2008
hilowj
26th Jan 2008
justinngo
26th Jan 2008
jakbauerctu
26th Jan 2008
hilowj
26th Jan 2008
CAtrike
27th Jan 2008
hilowj
27th Jan 2008
CAtrike
27th Jan 2008
hilowj
27th Jan 2008
dudleysmoh
28th Jan 2008
hilowj
28th Jan 2008
dudleysmoh
28th Jan 2008
justinngo
28th Jan 2008
dudleysmoh
28th Jan 2008
Sidebrow
28th Jan 2008
justinngo
28th Jan 2008
Sidebrow
28th Jan 2008
hilowj
29th Jan 2008
Sidebrow
30th Jan 2008
greshaki
31st Jan 2008
Sidebrow
31st Jan 2008
medic42
30th Jan 2008
maxwell1
01st Feb 2008
bpperry
02nd Feb 2008
Mokai
02nd Feb 2008

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 26-Jan-08 03:32 PM
28687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I can't help with personal experience of manually focusing this combination, but it's only AF that will not work on a D40(X).

You will still control the aperture using the camera's command dial, after locking the lens aperture ring to minimum (highest number). Metering will work as normal

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

justinngo Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Sat 26-Jan-08 04:13 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm having D40x and 50mm f/1.8D. ( I'm a DSLR beginner ).
It's a great lens although the manual foccus make me feel some unconveniences. It's quite hard to foccus subjects in dark room or moving. ( I can not focus on my boy, he always moves). Still objects are great..I'm improving with it. Try to look at the focus confirmation indicator on the left corner of monitor while you adjust the focus ring). But it's very very sharp and much greater in low light condition than the 18-50mm lens kit. To take indoor pictures,I almost use it, not the kit lens. Almost pictures I like, I took from it.
It's worth the money as many good reviews of it.Look like this one is in pocket of everyone because it's cheap and sharp.VERY SHARP IF YOU FOCUS MANUAL RIGHT . Get one if you can focus manually or can't afford to get AF-S.
Here are sample pictures I took with the 50mm f1.8 by my D40x.
Opps...sorry, I don't see anyway to upload the pictures onto here.

Can I upload picts with the free account here?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 26-Jan-08 04:35 PM
28687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>Can I upload picts with the free account here?

No, sorry - you need to upgrade to Silver Membership or above to attach images. As a regular member, you can post a link to images hosted elsewhere, though.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

CAtrike Registered since 22nd Jan 2008Sat 26-Jan-08 07:21 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Mine works just fine on my D40. Of course, old people like me are used to manual focus. Its what we did all our lives, and the big aperture and big focusing ring help a lot. Its not like trying to manual focus one of them there newfangled pure AF lenses with that damn tiny ring you can never find when you need it.

hilowj Registered since 10th Dec 2007Sat 26-Jan-08 08:23 PM
320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 4

Asheville, US

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have any sample pictures taken with this lens and the D40?

justinngo Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Sat 26-Jan-08 09:16 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I have. But I can not upload picts to here because of my limited registration.I don't have web photo sharing either. Hope will make it sometimes. But you can go to amazon.com and look at sample picts there.

jakbauerctu Registered since 24th Apr 2007Sat 26-Jan-08 10:57 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 5

San Jose, US

When my camera and I ate the dirt at yosemite, I had to replace my broken 18-55 with a cheap lens. I got the 50 1.8 and was absolutely amazed! focusing manually took a little while, but once I got it right the lens blew me away. At my school my camera was known for "making anyone look good" because of the awesome bokeh. here are some shots that I took with it:
http://bokeh-is-beautiful.deviantart.com/art/Ying-Yang-64283080
http://bokeh-is-beautiful.deviantart.com/art/No-Way-63792744
http://bokeh-is-beautiful.deviantart.com/art/Reach-for-the-sky-63792449

just rememebr that when you are using f/1.8 your depth of field is really shallow
http://bokeh-is-beautiful.deviantart.com/art/Isn-t-bokeh-beautiful-60705380

Daniel
My Gallery

hilowj Registered since 10th Dec 2007Sat 26-Jan-08 11:15 PM
#8. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 7

Asheville, US

Thanks for the information and the pictures, they are very nice.

CAtrike Registered since 22nd Jan 2008Sun 27-Jan-08 12:45 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have any sample
>pictures taken with this lens and the D40?

Here are a couple of macro shots with the lens reversed which is mostly what I have been shooting with it. Manual everything.

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=2130784

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=2130334

hilowj Registered since 10th Dec 2007Sun 27-Jan-08 11:11 AM
#10. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 9

Asheville, US

Very nice images. Can you explain what it means to have the lens reversed and how do you do it? Thanks again for all the information.

CAtrike Registered since 22nd Jan 2008Sun 27-Jan-08 05:15 PM
#11. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>Very nice images. Can you explain what it means to have the
>lens reversed and how do you do it? Thanks again for all the
>information.

Sure, you buy a BR-2A lens reverser which is basically a threaded lens mount (no glass) for $30. You thread it into your lens filter threads and then install the lens "backwards" on your camera. It allows you to do macro photography on the cheap. Of course, since your D40 can't sense the lens, everything is manual, but on a digital camera trial and error is easy. BTW, the 18-55 kit lens is pretty good for almost macro closeups out of the box, and you can crop the pictures down to macro scale pretty easily.

hilowj Registered since 10th Dec 2007Sun 27-Jan-08 06:13 PM
#12. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 11

Asheville, US

Thanks again, I appreciate all the information.

dudleysmoh Registered since 16th Jan 2008Mon 28-Jan-08 02:17 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 10

US

How many of you guys are using the Katzeye focal screen with this combo? I just picked up this lens this weekend and I absolutely love it.

hilowj Registered since 10th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jan-08 05:17 PM
#14. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 13

Asheville, US

How easy/hard is it to manual focus with this lens? I am assuming that the green focus indicator comes on when you are in focus? Thanks for the reply.

dudleysmoh Registered since 16th Jan 2008Mon 28-Jan-08 05:38 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 14

US

It's not hard... the camera meters just fine with this lens, so you can change the aperture via D40 body like any other lens. The manual focus isn't difficult at all, but it does take a little bit of getting used to. I just got it Saturday afternoon and I've been shooting with it all weekend just so I can get the practice on the focus bit.

Honestly, I haven't looked for the green dot, although I probably should... I just got the D40 10 days ago and I knew before I bought it that I would be buying this lens too. I'm going to look at the green dot when I get home tonight.

I found it more difficult to get the focus right in darker conditions, but damn, when you do get it right, it looks really good. I've only been shooting it at f1.8, but I am going to play with the other apertures this week.

justinngo Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Mon 28-Jan-08 09:40 PM
#16. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 15

US

dudleysmoh,

Like you, I did not know looking at that focus confirmation light during the first week I used it. I tried to look in the focus area only,(poor my eyes!) .It's okay for outdoor and under daylight , however when I focused subjects indoor, at night, damn..so hard to see!!I even had planed to return it!
Fortunately, I went to forum to learn and......figured out that indicator!!! It's very very helpful for indoor manual focus, I would say. Now my pictures are getting much better with that tiny dot.

dudleysmoh Registered since 16th Jan 2008Mon 28-Jan-08 11:45 PM
#20. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I can't believe I didn't know about the green dot. I see it now, and it makes the manual focusing almost dummy-proof. Even in low-light.

Sidebrow Registered since 22nd Jul 2006Mon 28-Jan-08 09:43 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 15

US

I find the convenience of the 18-55 far superior to the 50mm, but I also find the pictures (color, sharpness, everything) of the 50mm far superior to the 18-55. Plus I enjoy shooting at 1.8 sometimes.

Focusing is easy (unless you have poor vision) unless it's dark. I didn't know you could use the green dot until the other day, so I haven't used that yet. The focusing ring is easy to use, and precise.

----
D40, N80, Panasonic dp&s
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyusc/

justinngo Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Mon 28-Jan-08 09:48 PM
#18. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 14

US

hilowj,

When you adjusting the manual focus ring, the green dot still does not light up until you get the right focus.
It light up, flashing then solid. But I don't sure if I can shoot when it's flashing or continue to adjust focus ring until it gets solid light, to get shaper subjects. At now, I only do the last way. Hope I'm right.

Sidebrow Registered since 22nd Jul 2006Mon 28-Jan-08 10:18 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 18
Mon 28-Jan-08 10:20 PM by Sidebrow

US

In manual you can shoot without a solid dot, you can make the picture completely out of focus if you want.

----
D40, N80, Panasonic dp&s

hilowj Registered since 10th Dec 2007Tue 29-Jan-08 12:00 AM
#21. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 19

Asheville, US

I appreciate everyones posts. I would love to see more sample images taken with this lens and the D40. Thanks again everyone.

Sidebrow Registered since 22nd Jul 2006Wed 30-Jan-08 05:21 AM
#22. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Here's a shot I took of a cat with the aperture open to 1.8 - had to do the manual focus quickly as cats aren't the most patient of subjects, but I think I got his face in focus. Also, bounced an SB-600.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyusc/2229603329/

----
D40, N80, Panasonic dp&s

greshaki Registered since 09th Oct 2007Thu 31-Jan-08 05:37 AM
169 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 22
Thu 31-Jan-08 12:26 PM by greshaki

Perth, AU

>Here's a shot I took of a cat with the aperture open to 1.8 -
>had to do the manual focus quickly as cats aren't the most
>patient of subjects, but I think I got his face in focus.
>Also, bounced an SB-600.
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyusc/2229603329/
>

Wow dude what a great shot! Here's one I took hunting bees in Dad's front garden, this is my first manual focus lens and it takes a bit of getting used to. Especially when it's wide open, the DOF is razor thin. Best results from watching the little green dot

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/greshaki/DSC_0134-2.jpg?t=1201785897

Sidebrow Registered since 22nd Jul 2006Thu 31-Jan-08 08:40 PM
#25. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 24

US

Thanks, buddy.
I like your shot a lot, too. I'm a big fan of the lack of dof on close up shots. when the 1.8 is open. Plus the colors in your shot are great and the orange jumps out so well.

----
D40, N80, Panasonic dp&s

medic42 Registered since 18th Dec 2007Wed 30-Jan-08 02:42 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have one on order. Hope to get it Friday and do some shooting this weekend. I will try to give you a report asap.

- Alan

http://www.trappedlightphotography.com

Nikon D200 & MB-D200 Grip / D40X with Grip ---
AF Nikkor 50mm 1.8D / AF Nikkor 24-85D 2.8-4 IF / Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO DG HSM / AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED / AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G II ED / AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm 4-5.6G ED / Nikon Speedlight SB600 w/ Sto-Fen Omnibounce / Bogen-Manfrotto 681B Monopod w/ 3229 Swivel/Tilt Head (RC2 Quick Release) / Bogen-Manfrotto 725B Digi Black Tripod with Ballhead (RC2 Quick Release) / Quantaray QSX 9500

maxwell1 Registered since 01st Jul 2007Fri 01-Feb-08 12:40 AM
369 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 23

Worcester, US

I have taken some amazing candid portraits of my 4 year old son with this combo. The colors are beautiful, the sharpness tack sharp.

It is nice, because it really teaches you, old school style, how to photograph, and not become "spoiled" by a zoom. The D40 is great with the little green assist light for focus approximation.

A

Nikon D40
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikkor 18-55mm
Nikkor 55-200mm VR-I
Nikkor 18-200mm VR-II
Nikon SB-400 Speedlight
Nikon SB-600 Speedlight

bpperry Registered since 01st Feb 2008Sat 02-Feb-08 04:44 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have this body/lens combo and it is great!
If you do anything indoor, the lens is a must have. Since it is a fixed lens, the left hand feels natural controlling the focus, when you would otherwise be controlling focal length. My images have turned out very sharp and also true to life.

Get it. So cheap, and such a great addition.
Brandon

Mokai Registered since 22nd May 2007Sat 02-Feb-08 06:43 PM
552 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: D40 and the nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 02-Feb-08 06:43 PM by Mokai

US

I love my D40 50 f/1.8 combo..I find it easy to manual focus and a very capable lens..
Here are a couple I took using an SB-800..

Andrew
My Web Site
http://www.apertureview.org

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #25170 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.