nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #24888
View in linear mode

Subject: "Disappointed with Nikon" Previous topic | Next topic
SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Thu 17-Jan-08 04:56 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Disappointed with Nikon"

Elloughton.EAST YORKSHIRE, UK

Hi there , new to Nikon and DSLR's and I researched really carefully reading reviews etc etc before making my choice of Nikon D40X, I have read the rumours re discontinueing the D40X so I am wondering why they did that when its a new ish camera , and what is wrong with it ? Its really taken the excitement off the new camera for me and I feel as though I shouldnt have bought it ..any ideas anyone? Am i still going to be able to get lenses etc in the future? or am i now going to have to buy another camera?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Disappointed with Nikon
bythehour
17th Jan 2008
SallyG
17th Jan 2008
DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer
17th Jan 2008
SallyG
17th Jan 2008
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
17th Jan 2008
SallyG
17th Jan 2008
Holmes375 Silver Member
17th Jan 2008
KazooTom
18th Jan 2008
Scotty Silver Member
18th Jan 2008
jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources
17th Jan 2008
mtpenmaker
17th Jan 2008
Sidebrow
18th Jan 2008
ilgoldstein
18th Jan 2008
SallyG
18th Jan 2008
HayMower Silver Member
18th Jan 2008
Mike in Kansas
19th Jan 2008
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
18th Jan 2008
SallyG
19th Jan 2008
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
19th Jan 2008
Mike in Kansas
19th Jan 2008
Solinar
18th Jan 2008
frankness
19th Jan 2008
Solinar
18th Jan 2008
justinngo
23rd Jan 2008
blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas
19th Jan 2008
Drbee Silver Member
19th Jan 2008
SallyG
20th Jan 2008
chewie
21st Jan 2008
pasvorto
24th Jan 2008
SallyG
24th Jan 2008
CAtrike
24th Jan 2008
SallyG
24th Jan 2008
jbass Silver Member
26th Jan 2008
SallyG
26th Jan 2008
jku
26th Jan 2008
SallyG
26th Jan 2008
jku
26th Jan 2008
SallyG
26th Jan 2008

bythehour Registered since 21st Jul 2003Thu 17-Jan-08 05:38 PM
156 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 17-Jan-08 05:38 PM by bythehour

Toronto, CA

Welcome to market-driven obsolesence.

The D40X isn't that new; it's based on the D40, which has been around for over a year. (I'm being sarcastic.)

New models attract new buyers, and even some existing owners who feel compelled to have the latest and greatest.

Do you need the new model (whatever it is?). Probably not. By all accounts, it is an improvement, but not a revolution. Just enjoy your D40X until you grow out of it, or it is noticeably inferior to the latest stuff.

I hope you didn't expect to buy the D40X and use it for 25 years. That might have been the paradigm for the FM or F series, but no longer.

(By the way, the D40 came out two months after I got my D50. I still love and prefer my D50 over the D40)

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Thu 17-Jan-08 06:45 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 1

I suppose if I hadnt just bought it I wouldnt be feeling so disappointed , its as if Nikon have no faith in their own camera to make it obsolete so quickly .As i said, I'm new to DSLRs and Nikon so I'm still madly reading the manual and playing with the camera,I do like it , its neat and fits my small hands comfortably , but ....there must be something wrong with it,and I'm too inexperienced to know what it is

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 17-Jan-08 07:09 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

I would not be concerned about your camera becoming obsolete because a newer model was introduced. I expect that my D40 will serve me well for many years to come. Innovation is a continuous process and the engineering to accomplish this must be funded by the actual utilization of the new technology. I would be terrible concerned if there were no rumors of new models forthcoming! The lenses on the market today will be compatible for years to come. Many people have suggested that the lenses you buy are the main investment and the camera body is the accessory.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and please post some photos with your ancient camera

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Thu 17-Jan-08 07:18 PM
#5. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 4

Thank you very much for the reply and the welcome, greatly appreciated !! As for photos ... well ... I have only played at the moment, the weather is so horrible , rainy and grey that I havent ventured outside to take any pics and there are no flowers in the garden... I have sent for a book from Amazon, David Busch D40/D40x Digital Field Guide so hope for some inspiration from that !!

I shall for sure , post some pics as an when i have learnt to use this obsolete and ancient camera

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 17-Jan-08 07:32 PM
10885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 2

US

It has nothing to do with Nikon not having faith in it's products. The market cycles to planned obsolescence are now down to eighteen months and getting shorter than that, for specific camera models. In the point-and-shoot compact camera market, it's even more brutal. No one could believe how fast the Coolpix P5100 came out (approx. 13 months) and completely replaced the still-new P5000.

The bottom line is this: stick with a camera that suits you and learn it well. Shoot the living daylights out of it and find out what the limits are. Most people succumb to upgrade "needs" without ever reaching even 60% of their current camera's potential. Now, this is a camera gear forum and there's no law against continually upgrading, but many of us want to get our money's worth.

That's why I've resisted upgrading to even a discontinued D2. I'm shooting my ancient D1H and D70 until I *know* in my heart that the camera is really holding me back. So I predict another upgrade around 2030 given my meager skills. Or it may come earlier because spare parts are no longer available.

On a more serious note, think about what else you need besides that camera. You'll need a tripod (a *good* tripod), other types of lenses, an external flash, software, upgrades to your PC to support your workflow (you are going to learn or implement a workflow right? Nod or say "Yes." Good!), classes or books for that workflow and trips to go somewhere. Now, do you see where else your money should go instead of bemoaning the potential purchase of another body. Here's an article by a Nikon pundit that explains it much more succinct terms.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Thu 17-Jan-08 07:56 PM
#7. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 6

Many thanks Covey for your very sensible reply , you talked a lot of sense , now all i have to think about is ... Tripod (good one)and all the other stuff you mention , dear me where do i start lol . The camera came with an 18 - 50? lens and I want to take pics of flowers and close ups .. this is getting to be another forum question altogether isnt it? My head is spinning , I bought Paint Shop pro photo X 2 and all the tutorials are Photoshop and Elements .. the law of sod i suppose that I get that wrong !!I have saved the link by the Nikon pundit to favourites to inwardly digest over and over again !

Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Thu 17-Jan-08 08:53 PM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 7

RO

Being discontinued is simply an aspect of marketing and has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of your camera. The D40X is an incredibly efficient little machine and will be for quite some time. There's a whole bunch of pros carrying one for daily convenient use and they often comment on the high quality of it's images.

Enjoy your camera!

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Fri 18-Jan-08 02:22 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I struggled with the decision as to which camera to buy also. I have been shooting for many years (too many to admit to) with my trusty F3 and manual focus lenses on 35mm film. I loved that camera then, and still do today. I choose Nikon then, and stick with it now, because I think they make the best optical glass for their lenses in their price range. I firmly believe that it is the lense that makes a good quality image, not the camera body.

Anyway --- when I decided to "go digital" I settled on the D40. I didn't feel I needed the extra pixels offered in the D40X as I don't enlarge much over 8x10 in size. My "kit" came with two lenses - the 18-55 and 55-200. These are consumer grade lenses from Nikon, and still better quality than much of the competition. My first addtion was the SB600 speedlight as the on camera pop-up flash is too limiting for me.

The newest lenses in the Nikon series are the AF-S lenses, like the one that came with your camera. I'm sure you will see the collection of AF-S lenses grow dramatically in the not too distant future. If you are interested in "close-up" photography you might want to consider a lens with "macro" ability. That will allow you to get closer to your subject and still focus sharply.

Your choice of the D40X is a solid one. As others have said, take it out and use the heck out of it. One of the glories of digital is that you can delete anything you don't like, and the instant feedback for each image. Don't even consider that the model may be discontinued from manufacture. There are many pros shooting with top of the line D2's, that have been replaced by the D3 after only a short time.

Enjoy your camera, you purchased a quality product. Nothing at all wrong with it.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 18-Jan-08 07:26 AM
4864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 2

Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK

I have a D50 and have access to a D40 (my girlfriends), I have also use professionally a D1, D100 and D2. I can tell you now that there is nothing wrong with the D40X - your D40X It is a perfectly good camera capable of producing excellent images (as long as the user is competant!!! ).

Enjoy using your camera - when you find out that no matter what you do you cannot create an image you desire because the camera just can't do it, THEN you become frustrated and buy a new camera, THEN you get NAS, then you are just like the rest of us at Nikonians!!!!

Welcome...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 17-Jan-08 06:53 PM
35271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 17-Jan-08 06:55 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The dynamics of the digital market are calling for newer and better bodies more frequently than before.
But I have never been disappointed because my car manufacturer introduces a new model every year.
Enjoy your D40X. It will be good for many years.
As for lenses, the one thing you can be assured with Nikon is its traditional loyalty to customers, making their cameras compatible (backwards and forward) with most -if not all- lenses ever produced.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 17-Jan-08 10:30 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 17-Jan-08 10:31 PM by mtpenmaker

Billings, US

As someone else suggested, the camera body is really secondary to the glass, unless maybe you're using a D3 or D300. There are a lot of people still using 30+ year old film cameras and getting beautiful images, but they're using high quality lenses. Don't worry about the body, it will last a long time.

Remember that when you buy a computer it's basically obsolete by the time it gets to the store where you bought it. This is a lot better than that.

Also don't forget that rumors can be wrong.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Sidebrow Registered since 22nd Jul 2006Fri 18-Jan-08 01:19 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I feel your confusion, Sally - I got my D40 the day after Thanksgiving. And less than 2 months later I've shot over 1,500 pics and haven't looked back. I'm sure I deleted 75% or so of those, but I feel I've already gotten my money worth. Had I waited for the new model, I would have never taken those ~30 shots a day (on average)

I've already taken in 2 months, 5x the shots I took with my N80 in 4 or so years.

Your energy is much better utilyzed shooting whatever catches your eye rather than the "should I have waited" have fun!

----
D40, N80, Panasonic dp&s
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyusc/

ilgoldstein Registered since 03rd Oct 2007Fri 18-Jan-08 05:21 AM
39 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 10

Burbank, US

I think the D40x was an "upgrade" to the D40, but intended to be a short time stopgap until a newer model was introduced. Don't think of it as having a discontinued model, think of it as having a souped up D40 that was only available for a short time -- a "special edition" D40 if you will.

Anyway, I love my D40 and hope you love your D40x. I still love my 30 gig iPod even though for the same price I could buy the same one with a bigger drive.

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Fri 18-Jan-08 10:56 AM
#14. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 12

Thank you every one for your comments , what a wonderful forum this is that takes the time and trouble to help newbies like me. I am really grateful to you all .

I now actually feel so much better about my obsolete and ancient camera and im looking forwards to learning how to use it properly I shall visit this forum most days to learn from you experts ! When the damn rain stops I shall be taking photos I will share with you !

Thanks again
Sally

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Fri 18-Jan-08 03:05 PM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Sally - I, too, just bought a D40X after a lot of surfing on the web to try to figure out what's up with the digital market. The one thing I didn't figure out was that there is a big show in Las Vegas - that begins this year on Jan 31st - and that is where a lot of the new models are introduced - Had I realized that, I might have waited a month, but probably wouldn't have been able to spend as much as the new ones will cost anyhow.

I really like my D40X - have only taken about 250 shots with it, and am now exploring what software to use to process the pictures. I haven't taken any RAW images yet, but downloaded Nikon's View NX software last night and intend to take some RAW images today and see how it works with them. I'm still trying to figure out whether to get Capture NX or Photoshop Elements. The D40X is just the beginning!

Harry - Hillbilly Nikonian

Mike in Kansas Registered since 12th Mar 2006Sat 19-Jan-08 03:20 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 14
Sat 19-Jan-08 03:24 PM by Mike in Kansas

Olathe, US

Sally-

I am shooting an even more "obsolete" camera, the D50. When Nikon decided to phase out the D50, people asked the same question. It had little to do with the image quality of the camera or the feature set, but more about moving the technology forward and continuing to appear innovative compared to the likes of Canon, Sony, etc. The DSLR marketing world is nothing like the SLR world. Product life cycles are extremely short, as the "buying population" is now the masses and not just the "serious" photogrpaher. You can either get caught up in the hype and upgrade your equipment every 1 to 1-1/2 years, OR keep it for a while, get to know its limitations, and only upgrade when you've progressed as a photographer and your equipment is truly holding you back.

When the D80 came out, I thought long and hard about upgrading my D50 to the D80, but after serious thought, I opted for some nice glass instead. As I am not in the financial position to upgrade lenses, tripods, bags, bodies, etc every time a new one comes out I am much more careful with my purchasing decisions. And now I'm glad I did wait, as the D300 may be the camera that makes me jump from the D50!

Regarding lenses, the good thing about getting lenses that work on the D40x almost guaranties compatability with any new DX digital body that may come out in the foreseeable future. The same can't be said for the D50 or some other digital bodies, as the D40x can not autofocus some of the lenses that I have in my kit.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 18-Jan-08 08:56 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Sally:

I took a D40X on a trip to Northern Ireland (one week) and London, England (one week) last October with just one lens on it, the 18-200 AF-S VR DX. I came home with eight hundred images, many of which will easily enlarge to 16 by 20 inches. I also own a pair of Nikon D2X bodies, but did not want to carry one of those around for two weeks. The D40X was a great alternate camera.

The D40X is an excellent camera that will give you a comprehensive and thorough introduction to digital photography, wherever your tastes and preferences may lead. If you are new to digital photography, the D40X provides a great learning platform that will keep you busy for some time to come.

You have the exceptional array of Nikkor (Nikon) lenses to choose from when the time comes to expand your horizons. While digital camera bodies come and go regularly, lenses tend to have a much longer life span before they are replaced or upgraded.

Instead of being disappointed, be glad you acquired the D40X while it is still available. Yes, there will be something announced eventually to replace it, but the D40X will serve you well for several years. Should you decide to move on to the FX format or something with even more automated features, the D40X will still serve well as a compact travel camera. Be glad you selected the Nikon D40X instead of the other brand.

When all is said and done, photography is still about four basic parameters: Aperture, shutter speed, ISO (sensor speed) and illumination.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Sat 19-Jan-08 12:58 PM
#19. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 16

Thanks HBB for your comments, and yes I'm very new to DSLR's having had a few point and shoot cameras which i have enjoyed very much , and which has led me to want to do more with photography. At the moment i have no idea of Aperture , shutter ISO and Illumination , but im eager to learn and am inwardly digestion all info and the camera manual !! I feel better about the camera after reading everyones good and positive comments , i did think at first the camera was no good and thats why it had been discontinued but now i know differently .

Thank you for your comments
Regards
Sally

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 19-Jan-08 04:19 PM
26906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#21. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 19

Richmond, US

> At the moment i have no idea of Aperture , shutter ISO and Illumination

In that case, I'd get a copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's a classic that explains all this incredibly well. (And there are great pictures to look at, too.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Mike in Kansas Registered since 12th Mar 2006Sat 19-Jan-08 04:34 PM
207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 21

Olathe, US

I second Brian's suggestion. It was the first photgraphy book that I got, and one I still refer back to after 2 years. It is excellent advice for someone new to all of the control that you have over a DSLR. It also helps you understand why you're not getting the types of iamges you think you should be getting, and the limitations in modern camera metering.

Solinar Registered since 15th May 2006Fri 18-Jan-08 11:55 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

My Nikon D50 was discontinued nearly two years ago. It still gives me joy every time I use it.

frankness Registered since 01st Jul 2007Sat 19-Jan-08 06:57 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 17

NL

>My Nikon D50 was discontinued nearly two years ago. It still
>gives me joy every time I use it.

Absolutely seconded!

Frank
A Dutch Nikonian

Solinar Registered since 15th May 2006Fri 18-Jan-08 11:58 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 18-Jan-08 11:59 PM by Solinar

Austin, US

>Am i still going to be able to
>get lenses etc in the future? or am i now going to have to buy
>another camera?

Don't worry, AF-S lens are here to stay and Nikon's AF-S offerings become more numerous each year.

justinngo Registered since 23rd Jan 2008Wed 23-Jan-08 11:52 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 18

US

D40/40x is more than perfect about the quality of pictures, compact size, ease of use... and it is usualy recommended of many popular magazines for beginner after it's instroduced. I wanted to get it one year ago but I could not afford until now! My dream came true!
I only regret that if I had more $300 budget, I would get the D80 which has built-in focus machine in its body.But no problem, I use the saving $ to pay for AF-S or HSM lens which are more and more popular as above Nikonians said.

Don't look back the old lens ,then you will enjoy the D40/40x very much ! I believe!

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 19-Jan-08 04:28 PM
26906 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#22. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I won't pile on about the apparently withdrawn status of the D40x, except to say that I have been doing photography for about 35 years, and at this point I've got 6 Nikon bodies. I use (most of) them all the time, and they make as good pictures as I'm able. Every single one of them has been discontinued for at least two years, and half of them were dropped more than twenty years ago.

> Am i still going to be able to get lenses etc in the future?

Ironic that this is asked about a Nikon ... The Nikon lens mount has changed only in subtle ways over the past 49 years. Within moderate constraints it is still possible, feasible and even useful to use a 1959-vintage Nikon lens on today's modern DSLRs. Almost half of my many lenses date from the 1980s and some from the 1970s, and they are still useful to me today. Naturally there are limitations - the older lenses obviously don't autofocus, and some cameras have more limitations than others, but the basic mount and aperture mechanisms are still the same. Only Leica and Hasselblad have similar records. Pentax, Olympus, Canon all have changed mounts over the years and have completely obsoleted older investments.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Sat 19-Jan-08 07:41 PM
5847 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sally,

Welcome to Nikon DSLRs. You have picked a great camera.

FWIW, the last two digital camera I've purchased, I purchased used and well behind the technology curve, because the newer models just didn't give me what I wanted. Trying to ride the technology curve is expensive and the incremental improvements don't obsolete current capabilities if your present camera still meets your needs. If you've grown with the D40x enough to need a more capable instrument, then that's a real need and when a new camera in the D40x linup comes available you can make an informed choice of how much that "need" is going to cost.

One of those cameras I bought was a D70s. It's several generations old but still a great camera and it provides one family member with all the function they want and serves also as a great travel body for me.

If you look at the trend in P&S cameras, new ones often provide less functionality than the older ones.

So if you've grown out of the D40x, then give your self credit for being a great learner and a great photographer. If you haven't, then get to work , that will take your mind off what Nikon marketing is doing.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Sun 20-Jan-08 12:18 PM
#26. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 25

blw and Mike..... I have looked at the book on Amazon and have ordered it, thanks very much for the suggestion to buy!

Everyone else.... Thanks very much for your positive comments !!
what a fantastic forum ..shame there isnt a chat room with it !

chewie Registered since 17th Jan 2008Mon 21-Jan-08 02:04 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

Petaling Jaya, MY

Hi SallyG,

I too am a beginner and new to photography (both digital and non-digital). I've always admired people that takes photographs and have a SLR to play with last time. I couldn't afford one and so I had to wait for quite a while before I manage to get myself on one. Now I have a camera of my own. I admit I had my share of "going obsolte" thoughts when I first got my hands on D40. Someone knew I like cameras and that someone bought a D40 for me as a Christmas present as I still can't really afford one on my own.

However, I know that digital technology goes in leaps and bounds and so it (digital cameras and peripherals)will be replaced more often than the cameras with film in the 70s. The best thing I found out is this: D40 teaches me (my perspective and personal experience) about photography. By reading (online and hardcopy), listening and testing out myself, I have gained more knowledge about photography than I ever had. This D40 teaches me and showing me where have I gone wrong with my "white balancing", aperture, shutter speed, etc. D40's been teaching me how to be a better photographer...so to speak.

Sure, I have friends of mine telling me how foolish I have been in buying D40 and not anything better but as long as I get the pleasure of learning from it and pictures taken are good, if not great for me, I'll continue to use it till I am dead or I've learnt all I can from this tiny (comparing to a D200/D300)camera.

pasvorto Registered since 12th Oct 2007Thu 24-Jan-08 01:01 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 27

Winona, US

I work in the computer industry. I have for 30 + years. There is a thing called "Moore's law". It states that processing power doubles every 18 months. There is always a new computer coming around the bend that you should wait for. However, while you are waiting you will be missing the enjoyment of the current model. Digital cameras now follow that same law. There will always be a newer, better, faster model coming as the computers evolve.

Something is obsolete when it can no longer do the job, not when a shinier model has been released.

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Thu 24-Jan-08 04:02 PM
#30. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 29

Thanks Pasvorto for your comments ... and i appreciate what you say and i am ok about it now, but when you buy a new camera you expect it at least to be the latest for a while not a month lol !!

I do love the camera and am just learning how to use it as have had point and shoots for a few years now ... its all going in one ear and out of the other at the moment but i am confident that in a few years( joke ) i will have mastered it!!!

CAtrike Registered since 22nd Jan 2008Thu 24-Jan-08 07:36 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>
>so I am wondering why they did that when its a new ish camera
>, and what is wrong with it ?

The only problem Nikon has with the D40x is that it has two cameras with the D40 name. It is confusing to the consumer so one of the D40's has to go. It is purely a marketing and product name issue. The "new" D40x will have a new name, and a few other small changes to make clear its marketing position between the entry level DSLR D40 and the D80.

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Thu 24-Jan-08 07:48 PM
#32. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 31

Hi there and thanks for the reply , it was Nikons decision to release both cameras with the D40 name and they have certainly added to the confusion by discontinueing a new camera .Why produce the D40X if they are wanting to bring out a D60 ..what a waste of time and effort !!Ah well ..

jbass Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2008Sat 26-Jan-08 06:36 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 32

Lompoc, US

Sally,

I just returned to photography after a 25 year absence. My film camera back then was a Canon AE-1. I still remember the basics of shutter speed, exposure, etc., but I about drove myself crazy trying to figure out if I wanted a D40, a D40x, a D80, etc. I read every review that I could put my hands on. I bought my D40x in December even though I knew that a replacement for the D40/D40x/D80 was probably going to be announced at the PMA conference later this month.

From what I've read, the D40 and the D40x are great entry level DSLR cameras for us "beginners." They are great value for the money.

It is my understanding that the D40x was a temporary upgrade of the D40 to combat the competition that Nikon was getting from the Canon Xti. That's why the D40x was released just a few months after the D40 instead of during the usual 12 to 18 month cycle.

Canon just announced its replacement for the Xti. It is rumored that Nikon will announce an updated version of the D40/D40x,D80, etc. to compete with the Xsi. The Xsi will not be available until June of this year and most of the posters on the Canon forums like the new features on the Xsi, but not to the point of dumping their Xti's.

As far as lenses are concerned, camera bodies come and go. Lenses go on almost forever. The D40x uses the most recent lenses from Nikon, the AF-S series. The majority of opinion is that these lenses with their in-lens focusing system is the road that Nikon will be following for the foreseeable future. The D40x can also use old Nikon lenses, but will not autofocus and/or meter with them. This might be a concern to those people who have a lot of old Nikon lenses, but it is not a problem for you since you don't have that investment.

So, be happy with your choice and save your money to buy good quality Nikon lenses that you will be able to use with future Nikon camera bodies when they become available and when you can take full advantage of their advanced features.

Jim

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Sat 26-Jan-08 11:54 AM
#34. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 33

Hi there Jim
Many thanks for your comments , I appreciate you taking the time to give me your advice and I do feel better for what you and the other forum members say. I also agree what you say re the lenses .. I just got the 18 - 55 lens that came with the camera , so I can now save up for another ( whichever that may be, again ,another mind blowing exercise!! ) I have a lot to learn and will probably drive everyone in the forum mad with my questions !!

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend.
Sally

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 26-Jan-08 12:38 PM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#35. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 34
Sat 26-Jan-08 12:40 PM by jku

UK

Hi Sally,

My collegue has just bought a D40x on my recommendation. When I got the chance to handle it, I must say it's a great piece of kit. It has certainly live up to its reputation for being the best in its class. The only downside that I can see is its inability to use non AF-S type lenses which could limit your choice of 3rd party lenses. Having said that, I note that someone has posted a list of D40/D40x compatible lenses and there's plenty to choose from there. The bottom line is that no matter which lens you are going to buy for your D40x, you can rest assured that when you eventually succumb to NAS (there is no known cure for NAS) and need to upgrade your D40x, all your lenses will fit the new body!

So don't be concerned about your D40x going obsolete in a few months time, just get out there and shoot, shoot and shoot (English weather permitting of course). My obsolete D70 is still a great camera after all these years and it still has a place in my heart even though I have recently acquired a D300.

john

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Sat 26-Jan-08 01:25 PM
#36. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 35

Hi John
Thanks for the reply .. tell me something , what is NAS? Do I want it ,or have I already got it?

The weather isnt really conducive to shooting many pics at the moment , all Ive been doing is taking shots of the dog who now turns her face away from me thoroughly fed up..I am from Yorkshire and its been a bit bleak here since I got the camera..rain , wind etc etc ..roll on spring !!

Thanks again for the advice..
Sall

jku Registered since 28th Oct 2005Sat 26-Jan-08 01:57 PM
1550 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#37. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 36

UK

LOL. What is NAS?

NAS stands for "Nikon acquisition syndrome". Google that and you'll get over 7500 links.

There is no known cure for NAS. One thing is sure though, when you catch NAS, you're always in a state of bliss.

john

SallyG Registered since 17th Jan 2008Sat 26-Jan-08 04:44 PM
#38. "RE: Disappointed with Nikon"
In response to Reply # 37

Hi John
I googled NAS ... haha now I know, and I easily could have the beginnnings of it ....Watch this space

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #24888 Previous topic | Next topic