Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #24565
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why doesn't the AF-assist light come on in Manual mode?" Previous topic | Next topic
fixjuxa Registered since 28th Aug 2007Thu 03-Jan-08 09:48 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why doesn't the AF-assist light come on in Manual mode?"

US

When messing around with my new tripod/head today I found that my AF-Assist light isn't coming on when using the camera in P, S, A, M, landscape, or sports modes. It does come on in the other modes though. It makes no sense to me that it wouldn't come on regardless of what mode I'm in if the lens is having trouble finding focus. Can anybody tell me if their D40 does the same thing?

Edit: Nevermind. A quick look at the manual cleared everything up. For whatever reason the light doesn't come on if you're using AF-C. Or if you're not using the center focus area or you're using it in sports or landscape. Seems weird that it doesn't work when using one of the other two focus areas. What's the logic behind that?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Thu 03-Jan-08 11:13 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why doesn't the AF-assist light come on in Manual m"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My autofocus assist light works in all modes you indicate. Go to the custom settings menu(pencil icon) Item #9 is the AF-Assist. It is probably simply turned off, turn it on and you should be good to go.

Michigan Nikonian

fixjuxa Registered since 28th Aug 2007Thu 03-Jan-08 11:27 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why doesn't the AF-assist light come on in Manual m"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Haha! Of course I checked to make sure AF-assist was on before posting.

Your's works in all the modes I listed? The manual says it doesn't come on in landscape or sports. Anyway, like I said, I got it figured out. It wasn't coming on because I had the camera set to continous-servo AF(AF-C). I should have looked at the manual before I posted.

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Thu 03-Jan-08 11:52 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why doesn't the AF-assist light come on in Manual m"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Glad you found your problem and it is working as you expected it to. By all the modes I meant P S A and M. It also functions in the preset modes where it is supposed to. Glad you found it, I hadn't even thought of continuous servo focus as I rarely use it.

Michigan Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #24565 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.