Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #24233
View in linear mode

Subject: "D40 Battery Grip" Previous topic | Next topic
tlcolen Registered since 08th Jan 2008Sun 23-Dec-07 03:53 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D40 Battery Grip"

US

I got a D40 as an early Christmas present and so far I really like everything about it. My question is regarding the Non-OEM battery grips that are available on the auction sites. I have fairly large hands and I think it would make the camera easier to hold if I attached a grip. Does anyone have any experience with these grips? Some of them have built-in, non-replaceable batteries and some use either 2 EN-EL9s or 6 AA batteries. Do you have to remove the camera battery door to attach one of these? If so, I'll stay away from them because I don't want to alter my camera. Thanks in advance for any information.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D40 Battery Grip
timkoo
23rd Dec 2007
K1W1
23rd Dec 2007
abaron
24th Dec 2007
Darko V
24th Dec 2007
Darko V
09th Jan 2008
benlawton
10th Jan 2008
joeirene
18th Jan 2008
Vasco_da_Gama
11th Jan 2008
GJoe
11th Jan 2008
tlcolen
12th Jan 2008
Darko V
14th Jan 2008
quick5pnt0
14th Jan 2008
Darko V
15th Jan 2008
GJoe
17th Jan 2008
Darko V
18th Jan 2008
GJoe
19th Jan 2008
tlcolen
25th Jan 2008

timkoo Registered since 09th Oct 2007Sun 23-Dec-07 07:48 PM
149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Urbana, US

I have a grip for the D50, but I'm guessing it's similar. You do have to remove the battery door, but it's a simple pull off that can easily be replaced. I love the grip on my D50 and would recommend it for the D40 if you find the D40 too small.

D200 w/ MB-D200 | D80 w/ MB-D80 | 10.5 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8D | 17-50 f/2.8 | 85 f/1.4D | 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S | SB-800 | 3x SB-600 w/ LSII
www.timkoo.smugmug.com

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sun 23-Dec-07 11:42 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Melbourne, AU

The only really consistent feature of the non genuine battery grips is that they add more size to the camera which some people like because of large hands or large lenses.
Many make questionable claims about increased battery life and any claim should be treated with suspicion. Often even though they have two batteries they do not get anything like twice the life of the standard batteries.

abaron Registered since 18th Jul 2007Mon 24-Dec-07 02:06 AM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 2

Vancouver, CA

It should also be noted that even the ones that include a vertical trigger don't have a real vertical trigger, rather it has to operate via IR the same way as the remote release. There's no grip that communicates directly with the camera for the D40.

André Baron
A Vancouver Nikonian

Darko V Registered since 28th Nov 2007Mon 24-Dec-07 08:16 AM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I bought one of these grips, but then sold the camera before the grip showed up.

I ended up buying another D40 , but haven't got it yet(hopefully later this week). I'll post how it works soon.

Darko V Registered since 28th Nov 2007Wed 09-Jan-08 03:50 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 4

CA

I've had the chance to try the grip for a bit.

Overall it seems to be working OK, and it does give the camera more mass. My only gripe is that with the grip I got, I can't use burst mode with the vertical shutter.

My grip is branded YXTM ND40S

As far as the finish is concerned, it matches the camera very closely as far as sheen & texture are concerned.

For my $60.00 investment, I'm happy with it.

benlawton Registered since 11th Dec 2007Thu 10-Jan-08 11:51 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 5

Stafford, UK

Intersting, I have been considering a grip myself as I hav masive hands and a tiny tiny D40 too. $60 seems reasonable!

Ben

joeirene Registered since 18th Jan 2008Fri 18-Jan-08 01:23 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 5

UK

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and have recently bought a D40/18-55 along with the YXTM grip from HK.

I find the grip perfect for my hands. Makes the D40 extremely comfortable to hold.

Slight disadvantages are:
- have to set camera to IR remote mode when taking pictures with the shutter release on the grip
- don't get half-button press facility on shutter button
- need to remember to slide out the small IR emitter from the grip

Other than that, the grip is fantastic to use and looks great on the D40.

Vasco_da_Gama Registered since 02nd Aug 2007Fri 11-Jan-08 12:56 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 0

Kuala Lumpur, MY

Check it out!!!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1175183669.html

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Battery-Vertical-extended-Batteries/dp/B000YGO8S0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_2_img?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000ZHEQVC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1X5W648KNV1RFRTDZ9DG

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Battery-Vertical-Shutter-Release/dp/B000YGIPR0/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_1_img?pf_rd_p=304485601&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-2&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000ZHEQVC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1X5W648KNV1RFRTDZ9DG

GJoe Registered since 27th Sep 2007Fri 11-Jan-08 09:03 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 7

MK

Very good links!

Although i cannot make my mind for either of them. The Ansmann looks perfect but the fact that comes without the vertical shutter release for the D40/D40X makes it hardly attractive. The Opteka on the other hand has this, but the design is rather annoying because as i can see it hardly matches the body of the camera and is quite rude for my taste.

I hope that someone will soon combine this two attributes together.

tlcolen Registered since 08th Jan 2008Sat 12-Jan-08 05:03 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 8

US

First of all, thanks to everyone for all the helpful information. I ordered one of the grips that will hold 2 EN-EL9 batteries. Should receive it any day now. The particular grip that I ordered comes with a AA battery adapter that holds 6 AA batteries. The original EN-EL9 battery is 7.4 volts. AA rechargeable batteries are 1.2 volts, so 6 would give a total of 7.2 volts. However, alkaline and lithium AA batteries are 1.5 volts each, so 6 would give a combined voltage of 9 volts. I wonder what effect the additional voltage would have on the D40's electronics.

Darko V Registered since 28th Nov 2007Mon 14-Jan-08 03:16 AM
#10. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

Here's a link to the one I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Vertical-Grip-for-Nikon-D40-D40x-Body_W0QQitemZ200188882433QQihZ010QQcategoryZ15215QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I'm in Canada, and I recieved it from Hong Kong in less than two weeks.

quick5pnt0 Registered since 13th Nov 2007Mon 14-Jan-08 10:16 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 10

Dingmans Ferry, US

>Here's a link to the one I got.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-Vertical-Grip-for-Nikon-D40-D40x-Body_W0QQitemZ200188882433QQihZ010QQcategoryZ15215QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
>
>I'm in Canada, and I recieved it from Hong Kong in less than
>two weeks.

How do you like it? How is the fit and finish? How well does it stay on the camera? How is the battery life with the two packs it comes with compared to the one kit battery? How well does the infrared shutter release button work?

Mike
Mustangs | R/C Truck

Darko V Registered since 28th Nov 2007Tue 15-Jan-08 06:54 AM
#12. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 11

CA

As far as battery ife is concerned, I haven't really paid attention, as even with the kit battery I haven't had an issue with battery life. I got the grip mainly to give the D40 more "oomph"

As far as the finish, it matches the camera very well. I'd give it a 9.6 out of 10.

The shutter release is very good, but it's only single shot, at least as my experience

As for attatchment, it screws into the tripod hole

GJoe Registered since 27th Sep 2007Thu 17-Jan-08 04:43 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 12

MK

This grip looks really good. I'm not sure what you mean by 'only single shot' though.
Is this that it can't be used in burst mode i.e. continuos shooting ?

Darko V Registered since 28th Nov 2007Fri 18-Jan-08 05:31 PM
#15. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 13

CA

>This grip looks really good. I'm not sure what you mean by
>'only single shot' though.
>Is this that it can't be used in burst mode i.e. continuos
>shooting ?

That's correct.
To use the shutter button, you have to set the camera to remote shutter. Like using the remote trigger, except it's not remote
For me it's not a big deal, as I tend to use the shutter button on the camera itself. I got the grip mainly to give the camera a bit more mass, and extra battery life.

GJoe Registered since 27th Sep 2007Sat 19-Jan-08 11:15 AM
#16. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 15

MK

Oh, now i see. Well, sounds like a fairly minimal disadvantage, just few clicks in the menu.
I'll sure get myself one of these soon, as i find it decently useful.
Thanks for the review, Darko.

tlcolen Registered since 08th Jan 2008Fri 25-Jan-08 03:23 AM
#17. "RE: D40 Battery Grip"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I got my grip 2 days ago and I really like it. I ordered it on eBay from Hong Kong and received it 17 days later. It fits the camera nicely and really makes it easier for me to hold. The infrared vertical shutter release button works as advertised. I'm currently using it with AA rechargeable batteries just to see how long they last compared to the EN-EL9 battery supplied with the camera.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #24233 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.