nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon D40X, a Telescope & the Moon - Help!!!

RobRen

1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RobRen Registered since 20th Nov 2007
Tue 20-Nov-07 05:41 AM

I’m really hoping that someone here can help me.

I have a Nikon D40X and a Celestron NexStar 114 Telescope.

What I want to do is use my Nikon to take a picture of the moon. My teenage son is taking a digital photography class in high school and has decided that one of his projects will be the moon.

To attach my camera to the telescope, I purchased a Lumicon 1.25” camera adapter and a T-ring adapter that fits the opening to my camera (once my regular lens is taken off).

When looking at the moon through my telescope, the moon is sharp and bright. The craters are very visible.

I took my eyepiece from the telescope and fit it inside the Lumicon 1.25” adapter. I then attached the T-ring. Just to see how it looked, I attached this new combination to my telescope without the camera and checked to see if the moon still looked sharp and bright. I adjusted the focus and the moon looked great!

I then took off my Nikon lens and attached the camera to the adapter set-up. When I looked through my camera’s viewfinder, the moon was still there but no longer looked sharp and bright. I adjusted the focus on the telescope but it still didn't look good or clear. I don’t know why, so that is my first question.

Second question is what f-stop and shutter speed I should use to use to take the picture.

Third question. When I turn the camera on, I get a message telling me that the lens is not attached. The camera will only work in Manual mode. I can change the shutter speed but the camera won’t let me input in an f-stop. How come I can’t input an f-stop?

I’m at my wits end. This once fun project has turned into a nightmare.

G