Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #231
View in linear mode

Subject: "Should I get the kit lens?" Previous topic | Next topic
Volpone Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 08:00 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Should I get the kit lens?"

My first post on Nikonians.org!

I decided to buy a Nikon D50. I don't own any Nikon lenses; because I'm getting more serious in my photography, I'm abandoning my limited investment in Minolta gear to switch to Nikon.

I can't decide whether I should get the D50 package with the 18-55mm kit lens. The D50 body by itself is about $120 cheaper, which I could use towards a better lens. Some reviews on the Web suggest going with a better lens, but because I'm not a professional (just an avid amateur), I don't know if it would make a difference for me.

Please tell me your opinions and experiences with the kit lens.

Dave

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Should I get the kit lens?
ved50
02nd Nov 2005
edmun
02nd Nov 2005
Drewhound
02nd Nov 2005
nipprdog
03rd Nov 2005
Drewhound
03rd Nov 2005
MINGZNIKONIAN
03rd Nov 2005
avm247 Moderator
03rd Nov 2005
Volpone
03rd Nov 2005
edmun
03rd Nov 2005

ved50 Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 08:55 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boise, US

I bought the D50 with the kit lens (18-55mm) about 3 months back and I now start to feel the importance of a better lens. This lens is not an impressive one and I am seriously thinking to trade-in this for the 18-70mm lens that came with D70 kits. Be you a novice or experienced, when you start to feel that your pictures are not sharp as you might read in the reviews, you might doubt your camera settings and not the lens itself. I my opinion, the 18-70mm lens that came with D70, which is rated to be the best in class for the price. Moreover, you also get the advantage of 15mm more on the telephoto side which is best fit for most of the situations.

vedanth

veda

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 02-Nov-05 10:45 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 1

eugene, US

The 18-70 is a much more versitle lens and if you shop around there are some D70 kits with the lens on close out, still out there for about the same as the D50 and lens and it has a $100 rebate on it.

ledmun

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Wed 02-Nov-05 10:45 PM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 1

I got the 18-70 with mine and it's a lovely lens, the quality is better and the extra reach is useful as well. I was going to go for a cheap longer lens but I'm going to hold off till I can buy better, it really is important to get good lenses. BTW, I'm strictly an amateur as well

One thing the 18-70 does have that the 18-55 doesn't is an auto/manual function, you can focus with auto but manually overide it by simply turning the focussing ring, it can be very useful

nipprdog Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 12:44 AM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>One thing the 18-70 does have that the 18-55 doesn't is an
>auto/manual function,

unless I'm missing something here, mine does.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/nippr/DSCN2418w.jpg

Drewhound Registered since 01st Mar 2007Thu 03-Nov-05 01:21 AM
121 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 4

I'm sorry, I phrased that badly. The two settings on the 18-70 are M and M/A. This means you can auto focus and then adjust the focus simply by turning the ring, with the 18-55 you'd need to move the auto/manual switch

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 03:03 AM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 5

Regina, CA

Ever since I got the 50mm f1.8, I hardly use the kit lens, it just doesn't perform as well, IMO...

Consider the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8!!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberThu 03-Nov-05 04:58 AM
18519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Dave,

Welcome to Nikonians!

Personally, if you can afford it, I think you'll like the 18-70 lens better, it is equiv. to a 27-105mm lens in 35mm format and by all accounts I have read, is an excellent lens.

Here are some reviews for you to read:
18-55: http://www.bythom.com/1855lens.htm
18-70: http://www.bythom.com/1870lens.htm

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Volpone Registered since 02nd Nov 2005Thu 03-Nov-05 01:28 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you for the advice. I decided to get the D50 body and a better lens.

Then I learned that a local store opened a new branch and has a great deal: spend over $1,000 and get $200 off! Suddenly, the D70 kit costs about the same as a D50+improved lens, so I'm going to go with the D70 instead.

If anyone is from the Rochester, NY area, check out Rowe Photo in Greece for this deal. It is good until the end of next week.

Thanks again,
Dave

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Thu 03-Nov-05 01:32 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Should I get the kit lens?"
In response to Reply # 8

eugene, US

Very good choice and you will not regret the upgrade.

The D50 is stripped of some very nice features that you will miss as you grow with digital.

ledmun

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #231 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.