nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Shane84

UK
163 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Shane84 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2007
Mon 05-Nov-07 02:10 PM

Hello all,

I've been doing some revision on Exposure Compensation/metering and from reading conflicting info I've managed to cast doubt on what I thought I knew

Can someone tell me if I have this right?

When using auto exposure modes and matrix metering. If you want to preserve details in the highlights (eg. bride's dress), then apply negative compensation to avoid blowing them out. Same technique; if you wanted to preserve details in the shadows (eg. a black cat) apply positive compensation to avoid getting a big blob of detail-less solid black.

When using auto exposure modes and spot or centre weighted metering. When metering on reflective subjects (eg. bride's dress); apply positive exposure compensation to avoid the meter underexposing the subject due to more than 18% reflectiveness, and vica versa...

That's right isn't it?

Many thanks
Shane

D300, D40, 3 Zooms, 3 Primes, 1 Flash, a sturdy tripod, a 35mm Praktica BC1 that's older than me and not enough time!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G