Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #22975
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exposure Compensation" Previous topic | Next topic
Shane84 Registered since 02nd May 2007Mon 05-Nov-07 02:10 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Exposure Compensation"

GB

Hello all,

I've been doing some revision on Exposure Compensation/metering and from reading conflicting info I've managed to cast doubt on what I thought I knew

Can someone tell me if I have this right?

When using auto exposure modes and matrix metering. If you want to preserve details in the highlights (eg. bride's dress), then apply negative compensation to avoid blowing them out. Same technique; if you wanted to preserve details in the shadows (eg. a black cat) apply positive compensation to avoid getting a big blob of detail-less solid black.

When using auto exposure modes and spot or centre weighted metering. When metering on reflective subjects (eg. bride's dress); apply positive exposure compensation to avoid the meter underexposing the subject due to more than 18% reflectiveness, and vica versa...

That's right isn't it?

Many thanks
Shane

D300, D40, 3 Zooms, 3 Primes, 1 Flash, a sturdy tripod, a 35mm Praktica BC1 that's older than me and not enough time!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DriesI Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 05-Nov-07 02:45 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exposure Compensation"
In response to Reply # 0

Halle, BE

that's absolutely right!

perfect summary

Shane84 Registered since 02nd May 2007Tue 06-Nov-07 09:58 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Exposure Compensation"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks Dries, I'm glad I have that much right Thought I was going crazy!

Shane

D300, D40, 3 Zooms, 3 Primes, 1 Flash, a sturdy tripod, a 35mm Praktica BC1 that's older than me and not enough time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #22975 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.