nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO

Holmes375

RO
1523 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Holmes375 Registered since 09th Sep 2006
Fri 26-Oct-07 01:55 AM

I used to shoot with primes and this made using Auto ISO so very simple with my then preferred Aperture Priority. The the minimum shutter speed and maximum ISO and get on with it.

Now, I've become fond of the zoom lenses but their varying focal length makes Auto ISO a bit problematic with regard to selecting a minimum shutter speed. I don't care for Shutter Priority much with Auto ISO as the camera will then stop the lens down to an aperture I really don't want to use. And if I need to stop action I can use an appropriate shutter speed without compromising the particular aperture effect I want to get.

But.... in Manual mode I can select the aperture I want to use at that given time as well as pick the shutter speed that will give me a good handheld capture relative to the focal length to which I have my lens set. Since I'm changing shutter speeds much more than aperture settings, the D40 just shines as the control wheel is dedicated to shutter speed in manual mode and requires no other button activation. Very cool, Nikon - thanks! Now I have many more shutter speeds available as compared to the Auto ISO selections.

Why Auto ISO? Because this forces the D40 to give me all those lovely intermittent ISO steps between the normal settings found in the menu selections. Why jump from ISO 400 to ISO 800 when I can have a few steps in between?

I let Auto ISO run to 1600 if needed, after all, I want to get the picture so if the choice is between doing so with a bit of noise or not getting the capture, I'll take the image, thank you! You can't clean up a capture you didn't get Besides, this is the D40 we're talking about.... noise just ain't a big issue.

Give it a whirl and see what you think. If you're coming in from the P&S world, switch that D40 out of P mode and force it into submission! Make it behave as the wonderfully versatile little computerised beast that it is.

Pleasant light to ya.

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO