Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #22587
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO" Previous topic | Next topic
Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Fri 26-Oct-07 01:55 AM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO"

US

I used to shoot with primes and this made using Auto ISO so very simple with my then preferred Aperture Priority. The the minimum shutter speed and maximum ISO and get on with it.

Now, I've become fond of the zoom lenses but their varying focal length makes Auto ISO a bit problematic with regard to selecting a minimum shutter speed. I don't care for Shutter Priority much with Auto ISO as the camera will then stop the lens down to an aperture I really don't want to use. And if I need to stop action I can use an appropriate shutter speed without compromising the particular aperture effect I want to get.

But.... in Manual mode I can select the aperture I want to use at that given time as well as pick the shutter speed that will give me a good handheld capture relative to the focal length to which I have my lens set. Since I'm changing shutter speeds much more than aperture settings, the D40 just shines as the control wheel is dedicated to shutter speed in manual mode and requires no other button activation. Very cool, Nikon - thanks! Now I have many more shutter speeds available as compared to the Auto ISO selections.

Why Auto ISO? Because this forces the D40 to give me all those lovely intermittent ISO steps between the normal settings found in the menu selections. Why jump from ISO 400 to ISO 800 when I can have a few steps in between?

I let Auto ISO run to 1600 if needed, after all, I want to get the picture so if the choice is between doing so with a bit of noise or not getting the capture, I'll take the image, thank you! You can't clean up a capture you didn't get Besides, this is the D40 we're talking about.... noise just ain't a big issue.

Give it a whirl and see what you think. If you're coming in from the P&S world, switch that D40 out of P mode and force it into submission! Make it behave as the wonderfully versatile little computerised beast that it is.

Pleasant light to ya.

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO
mtpenmaker
26th Oct 2007
mtpenmaker
26th Oct 2007
Holmes375 Silver Member
26th Oct 2007
mtpenmaker
26th Oct 2007
joekidd
26th Oct 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
26th Oct 2007
mtpenmaker
01st Nov 2007

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 26-Oct-07 03:08 AM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

Excellent idea. I use mine a lot in manual and this really makes a lot of sense.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 26-Oct-07 01:20 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

I discovered something strange with my D40 when I tried to set it to auto ISO. If I have the camera in A, S, or M and go the ISO selection menu and try to select "Auto" I get an error message that the option isn't available with the current settings and it defaults to 200. The LCD shows the ISO as 200, but on the left side is a flashing "ISO-A" and it does actually work. I took a picture in very low light and the ISO was 1600 according to the EXIF data. Is it just my camera or have you experienced that also?

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Holmes375 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2006Fri 26-Oct-07 08:44 PM
1523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hey Gerry,

I think you're in the Shooting Menu using the ISO Sensitivity selections. That's a different Auto ISO used for the scene programs. Pretty silly and confusing, eh?!

Go into the Custom Setting Menu and use #10 - ISO Auto and you'll find what you need.

Have a good one.

-Holmes
http://holmes.zenfolio.com/

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Fri 26-Oct-07 10:29 PM
#6. "RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO"
In response to Reply # 5

Billings, US

I had set it in the custom menu and that's apparently why it worked. Yes it is pretty goofy that you can set this in two different places and they aren't necessarily related.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

joekidd Registered since 21st Apr 2007Fri 26-Oct-07 06:14 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Thanks for the tip Holmes. Using the "in between" ISO settings your way is a great idea.

joekidd

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Fri 26-Oct-07 07:25 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

This is my most common way of working when I want to specify both the shutter speed and aperture, but also want auto-exposure. Auto-ISO is a great way to get auto exposure in manual mode.

I most commonly shoot this way with spot metering when I'm chasing birds in flight, and also when I'm shooting something that's moving quickly through different lighting where I know I want a certain amount of motion blur, like a propellor plane.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery
New: My website is live! www.tempered-light.com

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Thu 01-Nov-07 01:00 AM
#7. "RE: Why I shoot the D40 in manual with Auto ISO"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

I was really curious about the minimum ISO when the camera is set to Auto-ISO so I did a little experimenting today. It was partly cloudy today so I set the lens to f/11 and the shutter to 1/1000. I took successive pictures starting at 1/1000 and halving the shutterspeed each time. I was hoping that the ISO would go below 200, but no such luck. It hit some intermediate ISOs but I got 4 consecutive shots with increasingly blown highlights all at ISO 200.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #22587 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.