Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #2240
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?" Previous topic | Next topic
debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Mon 16-Jan-06 10:31 AM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"

Kolkata, IN

Dear fellow nikonians

Will a 30min exposure harm my D50 imaging sensor ?

please let me know.

Debarshi

www.ushwaia.in

When people love your photos that is your best reward !

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?
bclaff Silver Member
16th Jan 2006
sillyconguru
16th Jan 2006
bobj Silver Member
16th Jan 2006
Aphex
16th Jan 2006
debarshiduttagupta
16th Jan 2006
cgaengineer
16th Jan 2006
bclaff Silver Member
16th Jan 2006
debarshiduttagupta
17th Jan 2006
soupdragon
17th Jan 2006
debarshiduttagupta
17th Jan 2006
soupdragon
17th Jan 2006
debarshiduttagupta
18th Jan 2006
bclaff Silver Member
17th Jan 2006
soupdragon
18th Jan 2006
MstrBones Silver Member
18th Jan 2006
debarshiduttagupta
19th Jan 2006
kgendron12
18th Jan 2006
Shred
18th Jan 2006
bclaff Silver Member
18th Jan 2006
mfa
19th Jan 2006
debarshiduttagupta
19th Jan 2006
Shred
19th Jan 2006
debarshiduttagupta
20th Jan 2006
Shred
20th Jan 2006
debarshiduttagupta
20th Jan 2006

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Mon 16-Jan-06 12:20 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver (WA USA not Canada), US

No.

Visit me at My site

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 16-Jan-06 01:51 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

If you expose it to salt water, yes.

bobj Silver Member Awarded for his multiple written contributions the the community Resources Charter MemberMon 16-Jan-06 02:48 PM
12585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Sammamish, US

>If you expose it to salt water, yes.

... or to bad jokes like these, perhaps.

Bob Johnson - Earthbound Light - Nikonians Gallery
Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond
Lots more new images!! - Weekly Phototips and Articles - RSS Feed

Aphex Registered since 30th Oct 2005Mon 16-Jan-06 02:57 PM
199 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 3

NL

I can understand the need for double checking with this fragile and expensive equipment. In this case, there's no need to worry - it's what the CCD was built for (as long as you don't point it at the sun). The only thing to watch out for is battery charge - a 30 min exposure drains the battery pretty quick.

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Mon 16-Jan-06 04:12 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 4

Kolkata, IN

Thanks Aphex, the you are right. Digital SLRs still dosent come cheap, even a 700$+ price tag is pretty heavy on my pocket. I asked the question as I want to capture star trails which needs very long exposures.

Thanks for all the help.

Debarshi

cgaengineer Registered since 31st Oct 2005Mon 16-Jan-06 06:53 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 5

Winder, US

"Bulb" or 30 minute exposure will work great for start trials, but you better make sure you dont have alot of ambient light or it will look like #####. I also think you can go above the 30 minute maximum with the Nikon AC Adapter...maybe someone can clear this up? The D50 produces less noisey pictures at longer shutter speeds than the D70, I am telling you this because I compared them side by side. I own 2 D70's and my mom owns a D50.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Mon 16-Jan-06 11:19 PM
9681 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 5

Debarshi,

On an exposure that long you may well run into other issues; thermal noise, and noise reduction banding.

Thermal noise will look pink or purplish and might run along one edge or corner of the image.
Long Exposure Noise Reduction may help but that doubles your exposure length (!).

Noise reduction banding looks like lighter strips that run lengthwise in the picture.

Good luck and share your results with us!
(The D50 is supposed to be better than the D70/D70s on this.)

Bill

Visit me at My site

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Tue 17-Jan-06 03:19 AM
#8. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 7

Kolkata, IN

Bclaf, my first 4 minute star trail shot is posted in my website at the following address.

http://www.ushwaia.in/magiclight002.html

My website address is : www.ushwaia.in

Debarshi

soupdragon Basic MemberTue 17-Jan-06 05:00 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 8

If you are doing astro work you may want to consider stacking images as well.
This works well for macro and I believe it's popular with star gazers too.

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Tue 17-Jan-06 04:21 PM
#10. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 9

Kolkata, IN

What do you mean by Stacking images ?

soupdragon Basic MemberTue 17-Jan-06 06:38 PM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 10

Well in macro photography (the total opposite of astro) it is difficult to get sufficient DOF to show, for instance, an Ant at 1:2 mag factor and get it's head and backside all in sharpe focus.
This can be achieved through image stacking where a picture is taken of an Ants head, body and back end and then all pictures are super imposed (for want of a better expression) on top of each other).
This effectivly creates a huge depth of field.
The same can be said for astro photography where you want to create a star trail but can only afford to take shots of 30 mins exposures (for whatever reasons).
So with the camera tripod mounted you take lots of shots at 30 min intervals and then stack them on top of each other.
I use a bit of free software called CombineZ which can be downloaded from the net, it works a treat.

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Wed 18-Jan-06 02:37 AM
#13. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 11

Kolkata, IN

Thankyou Soupd and Bill.

Debarshi

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Tue 17-Jan-06 11:10 PM
#12. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Debarshi,

Looks pretty good.

Congratulations!

Bill

Visit me at My site

soupdragon Basic MemberWed 18-Jan-06 05:00 AM
#14. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 12

Hey, Debarshi, your pictures look really great.

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Wed 18-Jan-06 09:30 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 14

AW

Debarshi,

Good mountain view photography. Maybe you can make your way into the Rockies some day.

Regards,

""

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Thu 19-Jan-06 04:15 AM
#20. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 16

Kolkata, IN

I would love to visit the rockies. Im obsessed with the Himalayas and try to visit places on the Himalaya atleast twice a year. Im also lucky that I got to visit the Swiss Alps and last year got a taste of the Andes when I was in Santiago , for some office work.

Would definitely like to visit Rockies. Oh yeah !

kgendron12 Registered since 18th Jan 2006Wed 18-Jan-06 08:30 PM
235 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 8

Burlington, US

Very nice photos. Well done. The 4 minute shot looks good. Can't wait to see the 30 minute one. I'm hoping to take a few of these myself when I get the chance and the weather cooperates one of these days.

My Disney World Gallery (2006 & 2007 trips all with Nikon D50)
http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/kgendron12/

D300 / D50 / 18-135mm / 50mm f/1.8 / 70-210mm f/4 / 70-300mm VR / Sigma 30mm f/1.4 / Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 18-Jan-06 09:59 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 15

FI

Here is ~12 min exposure of sky, shot is few months old though.
Taken with D50 and 8mm Peleng fish eye lens just for testing how it works.

As soon as temperure rises a bit i might took a second try,
currently temperature is -20 Celsius(-4 Fahrenheight) and it might be a tad too cold.

bclaff Silver Member Awarded for multiple contributions for the Resources Nikonian since 26th Oct 2004Wed 18-Jan-06 10:24 PM
#18. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 17

Aki,

Note the purple in the top left edge.
This is the thermal noise I mentioned in post#7; but I have seen much worse.

Bill

Visit me at My site

mfa Registered since 19th Nov 2005Thu 19-Jan-06 01:26 AM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"

Pelennor Fields, US

>Here
>is ~12 min exposure of sky, shot is few months old though...
>As soon as temperure rises a bit i might took a second try,
>currently temperature is -20 Celsius(-4 Fahrenheight) and it
>might be a tad too cold.

I guessed from the shot that you lived pretty far to the north. The temps you note confirmed that.

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Thu 19-Jan-06 04:18 AM
#21. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"

Kolkata, IN

Superb startrails Shred. I will try a 12 min and a 20 min shot next time I visit the countryside. Even with a clear sky the stars are not that visible from the city due to the famous Indian winter smog. I will head of to the country side from where I took the 4 minute shot sometime this month.

Thanks.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 19-Jan-06 08:41 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 21

FI

I couldnt resist the temptation and did a ~28min exposure,
temperature was -22.5 celsius (-8.5 fahrenheight) so it was cold.
However cold weather supressed the cameras internal heat sources quite well.

Now the camera is warming up in the camera bag and hopefully it still works in the morning

For the next try i must choose a better location and a better time,
now there is few light sources that cause some annoying flare.
Settings werent optimal either, i had to do hefty exposure compensation to NEF file.

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Fri 20-Jan-06 03:10 AM
#23. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 22

Kolkata, IN

brilliant work shred.

Shred Registered since 28th Oct 2005Fri 20-Jan-06 08:12 AM
#24. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 23

FI

Camera still works normally so it's not too sensitive to cold.
I've read that D70 handles sub zero tempratures well and D50 seems to be just as good.

Thanks for the comments

debarshiduttagupta Registered since 07th Nov 2005Fri 20-Jan-06 08:23 AM
#25. "RE: Will a 30 min exposure with a D50 harm the sensor ?"
In response to Reply # 24

Kolkata, IN

Thankyou Shred for the last info. I have heard from my teacher who is still a huge fan of the FM2 that his camera shutter had locked up when he visited a lake at an altitude of 18000 feet, in Sikkim , India. My F75 did pretty well when I visited the the -10 Degree Jungfaujoc in Interlaken, now I will be visiting Sikkim, India again where the temp will be around 0 degrees (thats very cold for us in Kolkata, India), so thanks for the info, great to know that the D50will do well in cold climate.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #2240 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.