Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #224
View in linear mode

Subject: "D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens" Previous topic | Next topic
Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 03:51 PM
5738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens"

Naperville, US

I'm thinking about getting a D50 for street and travel photography. I'm an experienced photographer and have a battery of lenses. The compactness of the camera is what appeals to me for this application but the lens also needs to be compact and fast. I'm thinking my 24mm f2.8 AF-D and 35mm f2.0 AF-D lenses would be the lenses of choice for this application. A 35mm and 50mm lens is what I normally use on a film camera for this kind of photography. For a little longer reach and more compactness, I could use my 45mm f2.8 AI-P lens.

Anyone with experience in this area that could offer their preferences and suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming that with a lot of lens changing, I'll eventually get a dirty sensor. Any comments on the ease/difficulty of cleaning a D50 sensor?

Best Regards,
Roger

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens
MINGZNIKONIAN
02nd Nov 2005
Drbee Silver Member
02nd Nov 2005
avm247 Moderator
02nd Nov 2005
avm247 Moderator
02nd Nov 2005
Drbee Silver Member
02nd Nov 2005
avm247 Moderator
02nd Nov 2005

MINGZNIKONIAN Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 02-Nov-05 05:15 PM
437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Regina, CA

I doubt you want to use the 45mm AI lens on the D50, since it will not meter... the new D200 will take care of this problem!

MINGZCAN

http://www.pbase.com/mingzcan

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 05:28 PM
5738 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Naperville, US

>I doubt you want to use the 45mm AI lens on the D50, since
>it will not meter... the new D200 will take care of this
>problem!

"I could use my 45mm f2.8 AI-P lens.", The AI-P lens is a "new" manual focus lens that includes a CPU so this particular version should even matrix meter on the D50. It's exciting that the D200 will still use some of my AI lenses, but recently bought a F6 so I'm still on the film track for most of my work. I'd just like to improve on my P&S for travel.

Roger

Roger

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 02-Nov-05 05:33 PM
18508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens"
In response to Reply # 1

Rancho Cordova, US

Actually the AI-P 45mm f/2.8 has a chip so it will meter with the D50.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 02-Nov-05 05:34 PM
18508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

How about a 20 or 24mm lens...not as compact as the 45mm but not too big either?

Anthony

"Eliminate the unnecessary and focus on the substance." (Tommy Ramone of the Ramones)

Anthony

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 02-Nov-05 05:38 PM
#5. "RE: D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens"
In response to Reply # 4

Naperville, US

>How about a 20 or 24mm lens...not as compact as the 45mm but
>not too big either?
>
>Anthony
>

Anthony,

Anything stand out in your mind in the comparison of the 20mm f2.8 AFD and the 24mm f2.8 AFD? I have the 24mm f2.8 and on film it is a good lens. Do you think the 20mm is a better performer in digital?

Roger

Roger

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 02-Nov-05 06:03 PM
#6. "RE: D50 / Street-Travel Photography / Compact Lens"
In response to Reply # 5

Rancho Cordova, US

The big thing with using the film lenses on a digital body is that the lens coatings don't keep up with the internal reflections (Len can elaborate more with that). I'm coming more from the position of compact size, good image quality, and angle of view.

Sigma & Tamron offers some lenses (including WA) that have better lens coatings to deal with the internal reflections that will reduce flare. Don't recall their terminology.

Anthony

Anthony

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #224 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.