Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #22126
View in linear mode

Subject: "When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?" Previous topic | Next topic
NoShow Registered since 08th Jul 2007Mon 08-Oct-07 04:56 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?"

CA

Hello to those more knowledgeable. I would like to buy my first Nikon DSLR and am looking at 'entry' level as 'entry' for Nikon is pretty good from what I can gather.

Does anyone know when the D40/D40x are to be upgraded? I'm hoping the autofocus thing may be upgraded on the new entry level model.

Anyone know if/when/details etc?

Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?
ReG00
08th Oct 2007
Shane84
08th Oct 2007
K1W1
08th Oct 2007
mtpenmaker
08th Oct 2007
Shane84
08th Oct 2007
MotoMannequin Moderator
08th Oct 2007

ReG00 Registered since 04th Apr 2007Mon 08-Oct-07 07:30 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Seeing as the camera is still pretty new I wouldnt expect a replacement for a couple months at least. And even then it seems like Nikon wants people to start switching to AF-S glass so the replacement prolly wont have a AF motor either to keep its price down.

---
Nikon D40 w/ML-L3 Wireless Remote
Nikkor 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6G II ED | Sigma 50-150mm F/2.8 APO EX DC HSM | Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED DX VR

http://www.flickr.com/photos/reg_00/

Shane84 Registered since 02nd May 2007Mon 08-Oct-07 07:34 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Hi there,

I don't know when the D40(x) will be upgraded; but I'd be very surprised if the AF module was improved in any great way on the next entry level Nikon.

The AF module of the D50 was DOWNGRADED from 5 point to 3 point when it was replaced by the D40. Probably to make a wider gap between entry level and mid range cameras and maybe to make the entry level model cheaper too.

I'm planning to upgrade to the D300 when my D40 wears out - more AF points is one of my reasons. I'd also like a MLU feature, autobracketing and improved ISO is always nice, but those are minor. THE big reason I'm lusting after a D300 is because I'm hoping it'll have more controls as buttons and switches on the outside rather than having to delve through menus. Still... the D40 is still a great camera and does almost everything the pro D2 bodies do

Shane

D300, D40, 3 Zooms, 3 Primes, 1 Flash, a sturdy tripod, a 35mm Praktica BC1 that's older than me and not enough time!

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Mon 08-Oct-07 11:19 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

Entry level DSLRs are now consumer items and as such will need to be updated (do not confuse that with upgraded) every 12 - 18 months to stay with the market.
I'd expect a replacement for the D40 series early next year, say about March.
What I do expect is more frills and more consumer oriented features.
What I don't expect is a camera that will actually have any real advances from a photography point of view. The D3 / 300 technology will eventually trickle down to the entry level but I'm think not the next model but the one after before the cost drops enough for Nikon to include it.

mtpenmaker Registered since 23rd Aug 2007Mon 08-Oct-07 01:03 PM
1840 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?"
In response to Reply # 0

Billings, US

What's wrong with the AF? A long time ago I bought a Canon AE-1 Program as a backup to my F-1, just a body, no lens. In today's dollars, I paid probably 3-5x what a D40 with a lens costs. The D40 is a great camera just as it is, although I do miss DOF preview. If you keep waiting for the "new improved" version, you'll never have one.

Gerry Rhoades
www.montanapens.com
My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Shane84 Registered since 02nd May 2007Mon 08-Oct-07 01:26 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

There's nothing at all wrong with the D40 AF It's certainly better than the non-existent AF on the three Praktica 35mm bodies I acquired on the weekend!

The lack of extra AF points has let me down a few times on more demanding shots though.

Tracking a bird in flight is a near impossible task with only 3 AF points; even in dynamic mode, AF-C with an HSM lens.

I'd also like to have at least one AF point above and below centre too. I've had a couple of (vertical) shots where this would have helped a great deal.

There's also the 'AFS only' matter. Not being able to autofocus at all with my 50mm f1.8 prime or the other two fast primes I plan to buy in the next year or so is a slight annoyance.

For everything else though the D40 is a gem and the best bargain in photography. I have no doubt that it will continue to serve me well for probably another year or two at least; when I expect it will either wear out or retire as my backup

D300, D40, 3 Zooms, 3 Primes, 1 Flash, a sturdy tripod, a 35mm Praktica BC1 that's older than me and not enough time!

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Mon 08-Oct-07 02:34 PM
8578 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: When Will D40/D40x Model be UPGRADED?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livermore, CA, US

I agree with K1W1, I would have said 18 month upgrade cycle, but that cycle may be compressed now, and it also depends on how soon Canon ups the ante with a Rebel XTi replacement and how competitive that replacement is. 12-18 months is about right.

I wouldn't expect an upgrade to the AF system, since Nikon's entry level body has been following the opposite path. What I'd expect is consumer and P&S oriented things like, most importantly, live view on the LCD, and maybe a dust shaker. The new camera will still rattle and the display will still blink in bright spots. In-camera VR is being pushed at the low end by all the minor competitors but it looks like Nikon & Canon are committed to keeping this in the lens, so I wouldn't expect that unless on of the minor players suddenly makes great strides in the market. One might guess more pixels in the upgrade, but there's really no sensor in the higher-end bodies ready to trickle down that far yet. Continual improvement in noise performance is a safe bet.

Bottom line, it's been many years now since DSLRs had major drawbacks in terms of speed & resolution. Today's cameras are true modern marvels and they all can take phenomenal pictures. If you're waiting for an upgrade, then one will always be there to wait for. If you're actually interested in taking pictures, then you'll miss opportunities that will never repeat themselves, while you're waiting for that next piece of tech.

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery
New: My website is live! www.tempered-light.com

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #22126 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.