Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #20749
View in linear mode

Subject: "SDHC and the D50" Previous topic | Next topic
VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Thu 16-Aug-07 10:51 PM
514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SDHC and the D50"

Dallas, US

This is what I get for not reading the fine print.

I purchased two very nice 4GB SDHC memory cards, not realizing that my D50 cannot format them, and isn't supposed to be able to accept them at all.

I've heard that some people have been able to use 4gb cards with the D50 if they formatted them on the desktop, but nobody can share the details of just exactly how they need to be formatted. Everything I've tried has worked fine ont he desktop, but failed miserably on the camera.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, they'll have to go up on the 'want to sell' forum so I can buy some other cards.

http://www.stevecoonsphoto.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SDHC and the D50
Schnauzermom
16th Aug 2007
nightcat
16th Aug 2007
K1W1
17th Aug 2007
goro
18th Aug 2007
VeeDubb
18th Aug 2007
goro
18th Aug 2007
VeeDubb
18th Aug 2007
K1W1
18th Aug 2007
VeeDubb
19th Aug 2007
goro
19th Aug 2007
tristanbw
20th Aug 2007
ThisNameReserved
21st Aug 2007
VeeDubb
21st Aug 2007
numitor
24th Dec 2009

Schnauzermom Registered since 19th Feb 2007Thu 16-Aug-07 10:57 PM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

US

My understanding is that the D50 won't read SDHC at all. The 4gb that some folks have used are regular SD, 4gb capacity, formatted in the computer.

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Thu 16-Aug-07 11:15 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

Did you try to create 2 2GB partitions on the card? I think that's how people got the regular SD cards to work.

Kraig, never use absolutes

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Fri 17-Aug-07 08:20 AM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 2

Melbourne, AU

The D50 will not work with SDHC cards period.
The media is not compatible with the camera regardless of how they are partitioned or formatted.
Get a refund or sell the cards to somebody you know and buy standard 2Gb SD cards to replace them.

goro Registered since 25th Jul 2007Sat 18-Aug-07 04:27 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Leoben, AT

Hi!
regarding sdhc cards, i asked nikon and they told me this card are not compatible with the nikon D50
in general, I have 2 gb cards for work, but this week I´ve bought a 4 gb SD card, the camera could not format this card, then I put it in my usb cardreader, formated the card with windows and then it works on the camera, but....the camera cannot display the quantity of pics..hmmm, maybe the counter ends with "999" and with 4gb it shud be about 1150 photos - i must read the handbook,
ya, its ok, the card works
Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Sat 18-Aug-07 06:43 PM
514 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 4

Dallas, US

can you please tell me exactly what settings you used to format the cards?

I tried everything I could think of and they do not work with my D50. I've been trying to sell them in the 'want to sell' forum, but I'm having a hell of a time selling them for anything other than a HUGE loss. If I can make them work before I get paid for them I'll pull the listing.

For the record, because a manufacturer says something is not supported, does NOT mean that it won't work just fine with a little effort.

goro Registered since 25th Jul 2007Sat 18-Aug-07 07:23 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 5

Leoben, AT

Hi Stephen!

first of all some facts:
SD-Card:
Kingston
Extrememory Secure Digital Card (SD) Premium 4096MB
Cardreader: Hama 35/1
the cardslots will dispalyed on windows as removable disk

connect the card on the reader and windows was asking for formating the card, default settings to format - not qickformat (I dont like)
nothing special
If windows start not automatically, then goto Windows explorer - select right removable disk with connected card and use content menu for formating disk - select filessystem: FAT32
one restriction: the camera cud not display quantity of pics

do you have other cards? can you format this cards with a cardreader on your PC? which Operatingsystem do you use? i did not try but using cardreader should make no problems with Win 2000 and newer

I hope i could help
Rob

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Sat 18-Aug-07 07:31 PM
#7. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 6

Dallas, US

I thought I had tried the default settings. I'll give it one more go before I accept payment for them.

K1W1 Registered since 19th Nov 2005Sat 18-Aug-07 10:24 PM
979 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 5

Melbourne, AU

>For the record, because a manufacturer says something is not
>supported, does NOT mean that it won't work just fine with a
>little effort.

Sorry to be so blunt but stop wasting your time. SDHC cards will NOT work in a D50 full stop end of statement.
Even though a SDHC card is physically the same as an SD card the internals are different and require SDHC aware firmware in the device (the camera in this case). The D50 is not SDHC aware and cannot be made SDHC aware without a firmware update from Nikon which may not even be technically possible.
What you are trying to do is run a gasoline powered car on diesel simply by tipping diesel into the fuel tank. Surely you understand that that will not work.
Sometimes in life we all make mistakes and unfortunately you have made one by purchasing these cards. The best thing you can do is accept the mistake and get with life.

Now about formatting cards for D50 use.
The D50 natively uses at FAT file format that only recognises partitions up to 2GB. Any SD card up to 2 GB can be formatted in camera. There are some standard SD cards (NOT SDHC) that have 4GB capacity. These cards can be made to work in the D50 by formatting them as FAT32 on a PC. The D50 will happily write to the cards and show the images BUT if anything goes wrong you cannot reformat the card in camera. Using the "Format" menu item will in many cases destroy the card. To use the fuel analogy here what you are doing is using Premium unleaded instead of standard unleaded you are not trying to convert to diesel.

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Sun 19-Aug-07 09:07 AM
#9. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 8

Dallas, US

It seems that you are correct in this instance, but I still disagree with the attitude. Perhaps it's just from years of running Linux where every manufacturer tells you it's not supported, and you can make almost all of it work, but my experience tells me that a great range of 'unsupported hardware' can be made to work in a variety of conditions.

Also, just to be a smart-alec, while you can't make a gas engine run on diesel just by tipping gas into the tank, you can make a diesel engine run on used fry oil just by tipping it into the tank, and you can make most diesel engines run on pure hydrogen gas with minimal modification.

The same is just as true of camera equipment. We've all seen the modified tele-converters, chipped pre-ai lenses and a million other things that are not supposed to work, but that some ingenious photographer found a way for.

Of course, it's all academic now, because I've been made a really great offer of two 2gb cards and a little paypal, so everyone is happy.

goro Registered since 25th Jul 2007Sun 19-Aug-07 10:25 AM
#10. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 8

Leoben, AT

Hi!

Iam conform with your opinion about SDHC-cards and nikon D50, I was sure it can work - that was the reason why i asked Nikon, but if Nikon is not interested to release a firmware upgrade, i can life with it.
About 4GB card, i tried to buy this card and i was not sure whether it works, the camera had problems as known, but i found for a solution for my workaround, if one is unsure, then use 2 GB cards
regarding format the card, I recommend to use Fat32 because limit for partition size is 8 terabyte, Fat can only address 2048 mb thats right
with the counter from the display, i changed to raw format and now the display shows 525 pics (few pics are saved on the card)
for resume: it the SDHC does not work, except nikon release a software upgrade, larger then 2 gb cards are not a problem for camera, but format only with computer and cardreader
We can hope, nikon will go forward to support user with growing requirements and technichal advance
hve a nice weekend
Rob

tristanbw Registered since 20th Sep 2006Mon 20-Aug-07 03:41 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Neosho, US

I had the camera store format my card with a D80 or something and then I just never formatted the card again. I used Windows Explorer to simply removed the DCIM folder when I was done.

Personally, due to new information and personal experience regarding "CHA" errors with these cards, I'm not purchasing or using them anymore. In my non-expert opinion, your best bet is to NOT put all of your eggs in one basket.

I now have a booklet and I carry multiple 1 to 2GB cards. The CHA error can be a nasty one, especially if you're doing a one time annual event or wedding and can't recover from it!

ThisNameReserved Registered since 16th Jan 2008Tue 21-Aug-07 05:02 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Thousand Oaks, US

>This is what I get for not reading the fine print.
>
>I purchased two very nice 4GB SDHC memory cards...

For sale? I have the D40X. It uses SDHC. I bought 3 from Costco for $60/ea. Sandisk Ultra 2's.

Tim
tim@timbealer.com

ps: Sorry if this breaks any etiquette I'm not aware of, look at post count and you'll see why.

VeeDubb Registered since 07th Jun 2007Tue 21-Aug-07 08:31 AM
#13. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 12

Dallas, US

Well, I'm not sure if it breaks etiquette or not either. To answer your question, they 'were' for sale. They have sold through the 'I want to sell' forum here at nikonians. You should always keep an eye that forum. Sometimes people put some good deals up there.

Also, you paid WAY too much at costco. $60.00 each is insane. check out www.newegg.com

I buy all my parts there when building PC's, and most of my other electronics there, unless it's camera stuff, which I frequently buy from B&H like the SB-600 flash I just got. You can get a generic 1GB SD for about $11 and a 2GB for around $19. Name brand cards are only slightly more expensive. The 4GB kingston SDHC cards I wish I'd never bought were $36.99 ea.

numitor Registered since 24th Dec 2009Thu 24-Dec-09 07:07 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: SDHC and the D50"
In response to Reply # 13

CA

There is a petition online to ask Nikon to get cracking on a firmware upgrade for the D50, hopefully addresssing the FAT32 issue. http://www.petitiononline.com/nikond50/petition.html

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D60/D50/D40 (Public) topic #20749 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.